vintage pool table question

belvederebill1

Registered
Hi gang,
I'm looking at buying a 1920s table and it is partially dissembled. The slate appears to be original but the corners and where the side pocket would be are hard cutouts. In the corners there should be a curved cut but this is square. I have seen a lot of old tables but never saw slate cut like this. Was this a common thing back in the day?
Thanks,
Bill
vintage table.jpg

vintage table 2.jpg

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hi gang,
I'm looking at buying a 1920s table and it is partially dissembled. The slate appears to be original but the corners and where the side pocket would be are hard cutouts. In the corners there should be a curved cut but this is square. I have seen a lot of old tables but never saw slate cut like this. Was this a common thing back in the day?
Thanks,
Bill
View attachment 491142

View attachment 491143

From what I have seen, there is a wooden insert that goes in that space and it has the curve you are used to seeing. Also, dont plan on the table playing very good unless you send the rails out to have them rebuilt to fit modern cushions :) Hope that helps!

Trent from Toledo

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
+1 on the wooden inserts. I had a couple antiques myself
with them.

IMHO - that table is an absolute gem.

Dale

belvederebill1

Registered
I contacted Brunswick and they said they have every table they have ever made on file and they don't recognize the leg design. So either they are missing a file (from 100 years ago it could be missing) or someone re-tagged it to have that brand name on it.
Has anyone ever seen this design before???

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I thought I knew a lot about pool tables...but I was unaware of wooden pocket inserts..:confused:

I could imagine two guys playing one-pocket under these conditions.
“Hey, how come your pocket plays easier than mine?”
...”Termites.”
:eek: