Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Were Lepro tips ever black?
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstroke View Post
The 1987 tips were black when I bought them. Why would I buy another box in
1999 when I still had 1987 tips left?

I'll tell you why. I read (probably in The National Billiard News) that there was a difference between the new browns and the older blacks.
Straight from the maker:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...46&postcount=6

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#17)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
True, but it doesn't explain the difference of the LePros of the early 70s, compared to now. Even brand new, the early 70s LePros were very dark, scuffed, brand new. Today's LePros, as I said in the earlier post, are medium brown, all of them.

A bit of a mystery, not necessarily explained by age, oxidation, or voodoo. That long ago, it was a different formula. I know nobody wants to go there, but it is the case.

All the best,
WW
Well, the tips being discussed were bought in 1987.

Not sure what to tell you.

I have a box from that time, and they are brown. I long ago separated out the "good ones" by density, not by color. Basically based on whether they floated or sank in water.

My playing time only goes back to 1986. I have some old tips I have come by but the only black ones like that were Chandivert as far as what I have come across.

Somebody around here had an old tip collection, but I don't remember who. Was it Worminator?

The black tips in the posted pic appear thinner than the brown ones and thinner than the ones I have. They look like Chandivert tips. But the owner says they were bought in that box.

All I can say is that I have not seen black LePro tips.

But if this grows to the magnitude of the legend of pre-flag Master chalk...I may have to take a black Sharpy to some LePro tips.

No...I wouldn't do that. Really.

So, anyway, the best I can say on this issue is I don't know. But I am curious.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#18)
HawaiianEye
AzB Silver Member
HawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond reputeHawaiianEye has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 08:33 PM

I can tell you when I first was introduced to LePro tips...it was around 1970, or so.

I worked in a pool hall and tipped all the house cues that needed repaired. We used Elk Masters and had several types of old tips in our repair box, but didn't have LePros.

When Alfie Taylor's brother, Jack, came through town, he was using LePro tips and I asked him what kind it was. He told me and gave me one to put on my cue. It was a really dark brown, but not black. The reason I remember that so distinctly, was because it was the first time I'd ever seen anyone use shoe polish to color the tip black after it was installed. Once the tip was installed, finished, and burnished, Jack took out a bottle of liquid black shoe polish and colored they side of my tip, like he did for his tips.

From then until I quit buying and installing LePro tips on cues, I always did it that way, either using shoe polish or a black magic marker.

I used LePro tips for decades and always liked them, up until a dozen or so years ago, when it seems they went to shit. They always had to be cherry-picked to find the good ones, but now it seems the whole box are duds.

Old
  (#19)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2018, 10:28 PM

Are there 'black' le Pro tips?

No... and yes... sorta.

If you care to ask Dr Google search 'Donnie Anderson tips'
as a start.

Dale

Last edited by pdcue; 07-06-2018 at 02:23 AM.

Tips
Old
  (#20)
ROB.M
:)
ROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond reputeROB.M has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 980

Tips - 07-06-2018, 01:55 AM

so I set up the DeLorean and got it all set for 1987 and some how ended up in 1967, hitting 88 MPH in that old beast was a task but I managed to time travel. I stopped by and ordered a southwest cue ( which should show up any day now ), visited with fatty, hit some balls with willie then hitch hiked to Chicago to talk cues with Rambo. After that I caught up with dick helmsetter at his shop and he allowed me to stuff my pockets with all the tips I could tote... getting back to current date is a whole story in its self for another day......
But any way here is a photo of the tips I managed to grab.
I’d be willing to sell one or two of them but it’s gonna cost ya a at least a two story house.

Hope you all enjoy my tails of time travel.

Rob.M
Attached Images

Couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie'

Last edited by ROB.M; 07-06-2018 at 02:03 AM.

Old
  (#21)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2018, 03:31 AM

You know what they say, "Once you go black you'll..........". Well, yeah, you know the drill.

Old
  (#22)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Howdy All;

Only way to "actually" know is to ask the makers;
http://www.tweeten.us/

hank

Old
  (#23)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-07-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasics View Post
Howdy All;

Only way to "actually" know is to ask the makers;
http://www.tweeten.us/

hank
Post #16

IMO

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#24)
Poodle of Doom
AzB Silver Member
Poodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Post #16

IMO
Here... why don't I just *POP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
Sent: Wednesday, July 4, 2018 6:07:05 PM
To: skip@tweeten.us
Subject: Le pro cue tips

Hello,

Can you please help me with an argument regarding your Le pro cue tips. I read online where a gentleman is looking for the “black Le pro tips from the 80’s” I asserted that there is no difference now or ever in the tanning process or look of a le pro cue tip. I have a large collection of 1970” and 1980” pool cues most all of witch came with them installed. They all look exactly the same as they do today. Am I wrong?

Thank you,

Jay Baldwin

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello Jay
You are absolutely right, no such thing as a black LePro. Was probably some counterfeit thing or someone’s alteration.

Cheers,
Skip

Skip Nemecek
There we go...

Old
  (#25)
Frankenstroke
2 Gus Szamboti cues

Frankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond reputeFrankenstroke has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2018, 01:06 PM

I'm talking about "new old stock" being black. Installed LePros are sanded, trimmed, and
shaped, and look like any other LePro.

"Game not in paddle. Game in you."
Balls of Fury (2007)

Old
  (#26)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

07-07-2018, 01:10 PM

I know tip guys who make them black after installation, using a sharpie of something.
Dr. Doug infamous tip guy typically uses a sharpie on Elkmasters, and sometimes puts superglue on the sides of tips which darkens them.
Either way, from a couple feet away you can't tell brown from black on a Lepro, and just burnishing Lepro darkens them as well.

Certain water buffalo tips are mistaken for Lepro, especially on some of the vintage cues I get with original tips.

Surprised anyone uses Lepro, I hate them

player.....Josswest, Gus Szamboti, Paul Drexler, Schon
player.....Keith Josey, Judd, Palmer, Ernie Martinez, Jensen
player.....Richard Black, Tim Scruggs
breaker...Judd Fuller
jumper....see breaker
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Dan Harrison

Old
  (#27)
Poodle of Doom
AzB Silver Member
Poodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond reputePoodle of Doom has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstroke View Post
I'm talking about "new old stock" being black. Installed LePros are sanded, trimmed, and
shaped, and look like any other LePro.
I'm guessing at this point that you're asking the wrong people. Try going here:

http://www.tweeten.us/contact.html

Old
  (#28)
TheBasics
AzB Silver Member
TheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond reputeTheBasics has a reputation beyond repute

07-08-2018, 07:13 AM

Cornerman, Howdy;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Post #16

IMO
Thanks I musta missed that one. Should have put this thread to bed ... but, I reckon
others just gotta make their point, even if sixteen others have for them already.

hank

Old
  (#29)
Poodle of Doom
AzB Silver Member

07-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBasics View Post
Cornerman, Howdy;

Thanks I musta missed that one. Should have put this thread to bed ... but, I reckon
others just gotta make their point, even if sixteen others have for them already.

hank
We don't bother to make points. There's no point.

Old
  (#30)
cuesblues
cue accumulator

cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

07-08-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle of Doom View Post
I'm guessing at this point that you're asking the wrong people. Try going here:

http://www.tweeten.us/contact.html
I highly doubt Tweeten would tan a Lepro tip for any reason.
Decent discussion though.
Unless a tip installation guy, cuemaker, player, whoever artificially darkened them they are not black.
Other tips like tanned water buffalo & Rocky are often mistaken for Lepro

player.....Josswest, Gus Szamboti, Paul Drexler, Schon
player.....Keith Josey, Judd, Palmer, Ernie Martinez, Jensen
player.....Richard Black, Tim Scruggs
breaker...Judd Fuller
jumper....see breaker
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Dan Harrison

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: