Reload this Page Nine ball rules question
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Nine ball rules question
Old
  (#1)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Nine ball rules question - 04-20-2019, 10:37 AM

You were playing nine ball the three ball is on the table you do not realize it
you shoot the four ball and make it a
Your opponent does not say anything
you shoot the five ball and miss opponent says wait you had to shoot the three ball
what happens then

Old
  (#2)
Nine ... corner
A student of human moves~
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 10:55 AM

I'm no authority but I would say the four ball stays down and you get ball in hand shooting on the three ball.

"I'm shootin' pool Fats, when I miss you can shoot."

Old
  (#3)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 11:18 AM

I am pretty sure if you miss a foul and neither player notices till next shot, you can't call the foul then. If you missed the 5 and 3 is on the table, the opponent would be shooting the 3 now but would not be ball in hand.

Of course this depends on who is playing and what they decide. If I was a ref and someone came to be with this situation, that is the ruling I would give. Since the opponent snoozed and the player, hopefully honestly, missed the foul also, after a few other balls were shot, too late to back-track. If the player missed the shot, or if they noticed the ball was still on the table, I would say it's it opponents shot, but not a foul.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#4)
Scratch85
AzB Silver Member
Scratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond reputeScratch85 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

04-20-2019, 11:20 AM

Since you donít reference a rule set, I will tell you what we do. Balls stay down and BIH for the incoming player. We never spot balls 1-8.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#5)
gxman
AzB Silver Member
gxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond reputegxman has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 11:24 AM

BIH, shot the 5b when the 3b was still the lowest number ball on the table.

Old
  (#6)
hurricane145
AzB Silver Member
hurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond reputehurricane145 has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxman View Post
BIH, shot the 5b when the 3b was still the lowest number ball on the table.
Yup!
If he had incorrectly shot the 4 ball down and the other player said nothing, and then he went back to the 3 ball and shot it down or even missed it, the other player would have lost his chance to call anything I think?

Old
  (#7)
Nine ... corner
Nine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond reputeNine ... corner has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane145 View Post
Yup!
If he had incorrectly shot the 4 ball down and the other player said nothing, and then he went back to the 3 ball and shot it down or even missed it, the other player would have lost his chance to call anything I think?
I would agree.

Old
  (#8)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Without a ref the 4 ball is water under the bridge. You called him on shooting at the 5 (missing hitting the 3 first) so ball in hand for the opponent to go at the 3.

Old
  (#9)
Michael Andros
tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Michael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Andros has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
You were playing nine ball the three ball is on the table you do not realize it
you shoot the four ball and make it a
Your opponent does not say anything
you shoot the five ball and miss opponent says wait you had to shoot the three ball
what happens then

Circa "back in the day", BIH on the 3. No idea how it would be played now. Probably depends where and tourney or not.

Player: Ariel Carmeli Titlist Balaushka Tribute
Player: Sideways JossWest
Player: Dave Brainard Titlist - Rambow replica
Player: Tad model Tad-4-P
Player: Meucci QB-12
Player: Joss 10-08
Case: Fellini 1x2
Case: Katana 2x4

"Nobody in the world is going to do anything but sit and watch... while you run out."

~ Tony Proestos ~

"If they don't make you post, bet high!"

~ Fat Randy ~

"The secret to winning one pocket? Run more 8 and outs."

~ Ronnie Allen ~

Old
  (#10)
Nine ... corner

04-20-2019, 01:33 PM

Majority seem to be in agreement that the four is history and now it is BIH on the three.

Old
  (#11)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine ... corner View Post
Majority seem to be in agreement that the four is history and now it is BIH on the three.
Thats how we played it
I wasnít sure if I forfeited the game since i shot two balls illegally
Thanks for the help guys....

Old
  (#12)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I agree with most on this one, but what if the player continues running out a number of additional balls (with the 3-ball still remaining on the table) before the opponent finally calls him for shooting at the wrong ball? Kind of a sorry thing to do, but would make it much either for that player calling to the foul to have less balls to run out to win the game.

I would say if at any point after the second wrong ball is pocketed and the shooter realizes his mistake and then lines up to shoot at the 3-ball, by that point it should be too late for his opponent to call a foul on him. That is the risk he takes by not calling the foul on his opponent when he should have done so.

Old
  (#13)
Nine ... corner

04-20-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I agree with most on this one, but what if the player continues running out a number of additional balls (with the 3-ball still remaining on the table) before the opponent finally calls him for shooting at the wrong ball? Kind of a sorry thing to do, but would make it much either for that player calling to the foul to have less balls to run out to win the game.

I would say if at any point after the second wrong ball is pocketed and the shooter realizes his mistake and then lines up to shoot at the 3-ball, by that point it should be too late for his opponent to call a foul on him. That is the risk he takes by not calling the foul on his opponent when he should have done so.
Could two players be that obtuse? How about after he pockets the eight with great shape on the nine and then notices the three is still on the table??? I would suggest both players get a deck of cards and play Go Fish!

Old
  (#14)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post

Both players should try to make sure that the rules are applied as completely and accurately at all times as possible. To play otherwise is unsportsmanlike conduct -- by common sense if not by the letter of the rules. If you're not going have rules, you may as well do this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9KBOhPXhds

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
TommyT
Obsessed
TommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond reputeTommyT has a reputation beyond repute

04-20-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Could two players be that obtuse? How about after he pockets the eight with great shape on the nine and then notices the three is still on the table??? I would suggest both players get a deck of cards and play Go Fish!
Sh!t happens, maybe the player in the chair went to the bar and said keep shooting and when got back realized the foul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: