Who Should Be Selected to the 2019 USA Mosconi Cup Team?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less than 6 months now until the 2019 Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas. You can bet team Europe will be going all out to win back the Cup, after we broke their 8 consecutive year reign last year in London. I haven't looked at the current Euro tour standings and whether that has any impact on who gets selected, but you can be sure they won't make the same huge blunder they did last year by leaving the current 9-Ball World and US Open Champion Joshua Filler off of their team. I would fully expect Shaw, Ouschan and Kaci to be joining him, with their final pick likely going to one of the following - Gorst, Feijen, Sanchez Ruiz, Kazakis or Alcaide. Regardless of who that final pick is, they will be a tough adversary.

Our best chance to retain the cup will be to put up our best five 9-ball players, which in my opinion, we've failed to do in recent years. No one can dispute SVB and Woodward (last year's MVP) as our top picks. After that, I think most would agree that Dechaine and Bergman are undoubtedly among the top 4 players we have, but for whatever reasons (I'm assuming for lack of tournament play) neither one has played in the Mosconi Cup since 2016. Even if those two play, which is a big "if", the final pick is still wide open. I'm guessing many will choose Billy Thorpe, since he's been on our Mosconi team the past 2 years. Those would be the 5 players I would choose if it was up to me, although others may consider Deuel, Morris, Earl, Hatch, Dominguez, Archer, Bowman, Roberts, Styer (on last year's victorious team) or another worthy player whom I've failed to mention.

If there is any reason why any certain US players would not be permitted to represent our team in the Mosconi Cup, by Matchroom or whomever, I think this should be fully disclosed as to who and why, so we aren't left to blindly speculate why certain players may not be on this team - just my opinion. Just curious how my top 5 picks may differ from others here who care to share your choices?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Less than 6 months now until the 2019 Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas. You can bet team Europe will be going all out to win back the Cup, after we broke their 8 consecutive year reign last year in London. I haven't looked at the current Euro tour standings and whether that has any impact on who gets selected, but you can be sure they won't make the same huge blunder they did last year by leaving the current 9-Ball World and US Open Champion Joshua Filler off of their team. I would fully expect Shaw, Ouschan and Kaci to be joining him, with their final pick likely going to one of the following - Gorst, Feijen, Sanchez Ruiz, Kazakis or Alcaide. Regardless of who that final pick is, they will be a tough adversary.

Our best chance to retain the cup will be to put up our best five 9-ball players, which in my opinion, we've failed to do in recent years. No one can dispute SVB and Woodward (last year's MVP) as our top picks. After that, I think most would agree that Dechaine and Bergman are undoubtedly among the top 4 players we have, but for whatever reasons (I'm assuming for lack of tournament play) neither one has played in the Mosconi Cup since 2016. Even if those two play, which is a big "if", the final pick is still wide open. I'm guessing many will choose Billy Thorpe, since he's been on our Mosconi team the past 2 years. Those would be the 5 players I would choose if it was up to me, although others may consider Deuel, Morris, Earl, Hatch, Dominguez, Archer, Bowman, Roberts, Styer (on last year's victorious team) or another worthy player whom I've failed to mention.

If there is any reason why any certain US players would not be permitted to represent our team in the Mosconi Cup, by Matchroom or whomever, I think this should be fully disclosed as to who and why, so we aren't left to blindly speculate why certain players may not be on this team - just my opinion. Just curious how my top 5 picks may differ from others here who care to share your choices?

It's no mystery, Matchroom are very transparent about the qualifying, if you don't play in enough qualifying tournaments, you can't get enough points to qualify (same for the Europeans, albeit the list of tournaments is different).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SVB, Woodward and Thorpe for sure. After that, it's not so simple.

I was on the fence about Tyler Styer, who exceeded expectations in the 2018 Mosconi, but his solid effort in the Derby City 9-ball along with his strong showing at the US Open 9-ball make him deserving.

For the fifth spot, I'd go fine with Josh Roberts, who beat SVB at Derby City in the 9-ball. Josh has been a good player for a while now. He's a clutch performer and I'd like to see him get a shot.

Last edited:

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Well, since you opened up this can-of-worms....IMHO SVB and Woodward are locks and everyone else is just a toss-up.

It would be easier if they just picked the 5 Americans with the highest Fargo rate. Why don't they do that?

Maniac (Because it wouldn't manufacture as much drama)

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Schmidt should be picked. The reason is it might help the publicity of the whole sport, by tying in his 626 with the namesake of the event.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, I'd like to see Bergman and Dechaine in the mix... You can't just look away from that kind of talent.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Personally, I'd like to see Bergman and Dechaine in the mix... You can't just look away from that kind of talent.

They are not full time nine ball players and I'd rather see someone much more dedicated to nine ball competition get the nod. Yes, they are talented and each has a gear that is truly amazing.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think Schmidt should be picked. The reason is it might help the publicity of the whole sport, by tying in his 626 with the namesake of the event.

Certainly the reason isn't performance. John finished tied for 97th at the US Open 9-ball and reached just round 7 at the Derby City 9-ball. In recent years, he's not produced evidence of any kind that he can hang with the best at nine ball. If this is what you want, my best guess is that you're rooting for Team Europe.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I’m rooting for pool, not for Europe. Schmidt is not the best pick from a current skill ability, agreed. But he may be the best pick from a publicity standpoint.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
No, I’m rooting for pool, not for Europe. Schmidt is not the best pick from a current skill ability, agreed. But he may be the best pick from a publicity standpoint.

Maybe you're right about the publicity, but I don't see it that way.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

To who ,, I think some people are way overestimating the value of the accomplishment, when Wille set the record almost everyone in America knew who he was he was a house hold name . I'm sure he is more recognized today by name because of the NYT artical but its a game the general public cares little about and the record ain't changing that one bit ,,

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Having played APA Masters for over a decade, I can confidently say that team chemistry is a huge factor in overall performance. I'm nowhere near the best player in that event, nor were my teammates. Well ok, my one friend that had been teamed up with me every time for a decade was pretty damn strong and didn't have to lose to anyone. Still, I think we did well (2nd and 5th finishes out of 256) because of our dedication to each other and a never give up attitude across the whole team no matter what. That really counts for a lot. When your teammates believe in you and you believe in them, and you are all grinders who never give up...I really believe that is nearly as important as technical ability. Among many players with top level ability, I'd say it may even become MORE important.

For this reason, I think certain players have been excluded not because of their ability but because of the team dynamic.

That said, I'd like to see SVB, Sky, Billy, Tyler, and Justin Bergman as our team. Hopefully Berg will get involved in more tourneys, and I do think that should be a requisite for inclusion. I feel like those guys would mesh well together.

It will be interesting to see how it shapes up!

KMRUNOUT

krelldog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tyler Styer is a very talented young player with loads of potential.

But the notion that he is one of the 5 best in the USA is laughable.

Shane-Skyler-Thorpe-Bergman-Oscar or Cory

Its just a shame that Dechaine just can't get his head together. He's clearly 2nd or 3rd best in the USA when his heads right. Crazy talent.....