Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Cause of Inconsistency?
Page 2 of 3 12 3

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-08-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemosconi View Post
I have many, many years of experience with this subject, as it relates to many different sports, in all cases, if you actually do perform at the table like a "world beater" Fairly often- then half the battle is already won!- YOU KNOW YOU POSSESS THE SKILL TO DO IT! Now for the hard part- you will need to examine some video of yourself when you are NOT performing as well, compare it to when you are in world beater form- and FIND what is different.
I am willing to bet the answer lies- as others have said- somewhere in the pre shot routine- but to be more exact- I will bet that you are pulling off your final focus on the object ball just as you release the cue on the final stroke and/or tightening your grip hand as you deliver your final stroke to the cue ball.
You probably need to add one more element to your pre shot routine to keep that final focus more consistent- like maybe going only 1/2 on the warmup strokes and firing on every single shot - while being relaxed at the final delivery stroke, we also need to be robotic in our attention to the cue delivery. You make the shot with your attention to the object ball while achieving cue ball control by delivering the stroke with complete confidence and relaxation.
I guess "world beater" is inappropriate to ever describe my play but I was just using it as hyperbole. This advice is great and in reflection is probably exactly what was going on. Thank uyou sir

I do a hell of a job working around the holes.
Trust me aimings not your problem

Old
  (#17)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM View Post
Why do you think you can go from feeling like a world beater one day to missing hangers the very next day? What do you think is the major cause of being inconsistent?

Excluding changes in equipment (tougher table, different CB) I’m guessing an inconsistent PSR.

Now, most guys are going to say, “But, but... I’m pretty sure I’m doing things the exact same way.” But you’re probably not.

The little stuff you don’t think matters matters.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#18)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
One simple word, focus.
Yes, the single word is most probably focus- but HOW you achieve MOST consistent focus is what he is struggling with now- I have found the best way to achieve that consistent focus is with the pre shot routine that is unique to THAT person and allows him/her to get to that state most often - a review of their on/off performances will tell you when that component is there and/or if something needs to be added or tweaked to achieve the best final focus more consistently - FOR that specific individual! Every person marches to a different drummer in one form or another - so there is no magic bullet that applies to all. It is like telling a youngster to "keep your eye on the ball" - means nothing unless they understand HOW to do that - within their own rhythm - for some it is a natural gift - for most it is an adopted method that works for them!

Old
  (#19)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Broken fundamentals.
^^^^^^^^^^ 100%.

I know a few players that play very, very strong that have virtually no PSR but, they are hit and miss as in today they may beat the 10 ball ghost brutally bad and then turn around the very next day and lose brutally bad on the same equipment with the same bet.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#20)
CGM
One Ball Runner
CGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond reputeCGM has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfigueroa View Post
Excluding changes in equipment (tougher table, different CB) I’m guessing an inconsistent PSR.

Now, most guys are going to say, “But, but... I’m pretty sure I’m doing things the exact same way.” But you’re probably not.

The little stuff you don’t think matters matters.

Lou Figueroa
What do you do in particular to insure you are performing your PSR the same every time?

Old
  (#21)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinkelstein3 View Post
It’s not clear what you mean by “got destroyed”. Your opponent ran 4 racks on you? You missed 3 hangars?

Was every shot a good process, or were you distracted by outcome thinking? In my experience the more you think about winning and losing, the less you focus and the worse you do.
Yep. Just play in the moment. Don't beat yourself up for that last mistake -- it's in the past. And don't think about winning or losing -- it's in the future. As the saying goes..... If you stand with one foot in the past and one foot in the future, you piss all over the present.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#22)
tim913
AzB Silver Member
tim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond reputetim913 has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Been through all the lessons, 'the system', PSR, SPF, endless hours, years of practice, and my consistency improved but there are still days that I run table after table and the next I have trouble getting through a rack. One well known instructor just told me one day, it's a mental thing you may conquer, you may not. If we all could we'd all be Shane's and Corey's, but most of us will not be!

Player: House Cue
Breaker: House Cue with hard tip
Jumper: Shorter House Cue

Sounds like you let one shot derail you
Old
  (#23)
ShootingArts
Smorg is giving the 7!
ShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond reputeShootingArts has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

Sounds like you let one shot derail you - 10-08-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Why do you think you can go from feeling like a world beater one day to missing hangers the very next day? What do you think is the major cause of being inconsistent?

It sounds like you let that one miss in the fourth game derail you. All of the talk about preshot routine and such is good, it closes the distance between your good days and your bad days. I have won an event on a bad day, everybody else stumbled too! I didn't fall as far as they did. Closing that gap is important.

You may need a post awshitter shot routine too though. Efren used to rub the back of his head and grin or laugh. I don't recommend that, I still have a bald spot. I have more of those shots than Efren, a lot more! However, I did start giving myself a few seconds to acknowledge that was stupid and at the same time I thought to myself, "that isn't my norm." Put it behind me, forget about it.

Your other errors probably stem from not living in the present. Might look like a chicken pecking in practice for awhile but if you are down on a shot and one verbal thought, a thought in words, intrudes on your shot, stand up, regroup, and try again. According to the big brains your unconscious is many times stronger than your conscious, but you have to give it room to work.

Hu

Old
  (#24)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

Question 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
What's the Last thing you think about just before pulling the trigger?
Hopefully one of the PBA Instructors will chime in.

Eddie

Old
  (#25)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-08-2019, 06:01 PM

sometimes i get gas after i eat onions or pizza
that never helps

Old
  (#26)
evergruven
AzB Silver Member
evergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond reputeevergruven has a reputation beyond repute

10-08-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post
that never helps
deano sounds like you and I play about even

lot of great stuff in this thread..
just last night I figured out something helpful
focus on keeping my head still
not a rule yet, I need to experiment with it more
but doing that seemed to really help me play solid

peace & love

Old
  (#27)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

10-09-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
What do you do in particular to insure you are performing your PSR the same every time?

You have to pay attention to what you're doing when playing well.

And then, when playing poorly, compare and contrast. It helps to have a couple of test shots of moderate difficulty to see more exactly where the failure point(s) be.

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#28)
CGM
One Ball Runner

10-09-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
that never helps
Well I will definitely refrain from these two items before a match.

Old
  (#29)
hang-the-9
AzB Silver Member
hang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond reputehang-the-9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-09-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
We be human, not machines. Hoomans do boo-boos.

"I'll back you against anyone, as long as you did not know you were playng for money"

Charter member of the D-Bag Club, we stick to the letter of the rules not the spirit, and up yours!

Old
  (#30)
EddieBme
AzB Silver Member
EddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond reputeEddieBme has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs up 10-18-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
that never helps
And that's ok dean, as long as you stay down and follow through. :-)

Eddie

Page 2 of 3 12 3

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: