AzBilliards.com  
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Talk To A Mechanic
Reload this Page Cost of recovering a table.

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-21-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I just had a
mechanic tell me it’s almost impossible
not to get stretch shadows but they
go away.

Not saying I am perfect by any means,
but, that is Bull$h1t. I strongly agree
that most have excuses for their poor
quality of work.

That was installed last weds.
Not a single shadow and it is stretched
so tight you could break dance on it.
I use 4" paddle pliers, they are actually
called "Hand seamers", but, I appropriately
renamed them because with Jessup
Skateboard Grip tape on the top and bottoms,
they are a great tool!

Geoff,
No offense of course! I may not work
on machinery, but, in the context of this
forum I am listed in the forums "Mechanics"
directory. Also, the Talk to a "Mechanic"
section is what we are posting in on this forum.
It is very clear that the term is defined differently
than it's use here, so I find it ridiculous to keep
pointing that out. Call yourself what ever you
want, but, I am fine with "Billiard Mechanic"
Ever hear of JZ Mechanix the owner of Billiard
Mechanix? He is one of the best out there

Trent from Toledo

Last edited by trentfromtoledo; 10-21-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Old
  (#17)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

10-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtompilot View Post
I just had a mechanic tell me itís almost impossible not to get stretch shadows but they go away.
See any stretch shadows here?
Attached Images

Old
  (#18)
Ipmtim
AzB Silver Member
Ipmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond reputeIpmtim has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastone371 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree!!! I had to have my bed recovered, rails were already done when I had them modified. I asked around to find out who was doing local tables, I got a few different answers from different places so I went and looked at how well their tables looked and held up. I was less than impressed with all of the examples, after searching for a couple of months I decided to get the how to DVD RKC produced and I did my table myself. Im back in the same boat again right now now that I wore my cloth out after 6-7 years of use but this time I will attempt to do the rails myself too. Time to order another DVD. I think the most important thing to do is go check out some of the tables that the mechanic you select has already done. Is the cloth loose? Stretch shadows? Cloth lifting up at corners or even duct taped down? Those would all be deal breakers for me.
Where are these available?
TIA
Tim

Old
  (#19)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentfromtoledo View Post
Geoff,
No offense of course! I may not work
on machinery, but, in the context of this
forum I am listed in the forums "Mechanics"
directory. Also, the Talk to a "Mechanic"
section is what we are posting in on this forum.
It is very clear that the term is defined differently
than it's use here, so I find it ridiculous to keep
pointing that out. Call yourself what ever you
want, but, I am fine with "Billiard Mechanic"
Ever hear of JZ Mechanix the owner of Billiard
Mechanix? He is one of the best out there

Trent from Toledo
To each their own. I prefer not to use misnomers, if it can be avoided.

Geoff Bradshaw
Bradshaw Billiard Service

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#20)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

trentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond reputetrentfromtoledo has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
To each their own.
I prefer not to use misnomers,
if it can be avoided.
Not sure if it can be avoided
because of the reasons I listed.
After all this is called Talk to a Mechanic

Here is my version of the Pro Am,
not a single shadow!

Old
  (#21)
chart22
AzB Silver Member
chart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:26 AM

Trent and Glenn, you guys cloth work is great! Itís like the Sistine chapel ceiling.

Old
  (#22)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chart22 View Post
Trent and Glenn, you guys cloth work is great! Itís like the Sistine chapel ceiling.
Yeah? Check this out, a GC1 with the 3 piece Brunstone playing surface turned into a one piece, free floating, as in it's NOT screwed down to the frame anywhere, no staple bed cloth install.

No one does what I do, regardless of what they claim to be able to do.
Attached Images

Old
  (#23)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

10-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
No one does what I do,
regardless of what they claim to be able to do.
RKC takes this stuff to another level and has influenced
the industry very, very heavily. My knowledge base mostly
came from studying his work and the many hours he
generously has given to me over the phone.

Much respect and THANK-YOU!

Trent from Toledo

Old
  (#24)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 08:49 AM

Don't care about all the thank you'd, I just wish the CUSTOMERS would spend a little more time in doing THEIR due diligence before they choose someone to work on their pool table(s)! That is what it's going to take in order to improve this industry, but as long as cheap is the deciding factor, nothing will change.

Old
  (#25)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
RKC takes this stuff to another level and has influenced
the industry very, very heavily. My knowledge base mostly
came from studying his work and the many hours he
generously has given to me over the phone.

Much respect and THANK-YOU!

Trent from Toledo
The more you guys show your work, not just the pictures of the completed table, the more you show what goes into doing a job right. The more you do that, the smarter the customers become. Hell, even a hack can post pictures of a completed table and post the right ones to make the job look Professional. It's only when you follow up behind that person's work to you get to see what was really done!!!

And that is why.
Old
  (#26)
thebaby
Jack of all trades
thebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond reputethebaby has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

And that is why. - 10-22-2019, 09:46 AM

Gentlemen , with all the information I have collected , that is why I have decided to have Glen finish putting my table ( GC1 ) back together in finishing the restoration. I am very confident he is the right guy. Thank you
Frank out of California

God , Family , Pool ,
I cannot lose..........

Old
  (#27)
chart22
AzB Silver Member
chart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah? Check this out, a GC1 with the 3 piece Brunstone playing surface turned into a one piece, free floating, as in it's NOT screwed down to the frame anywhere, no staple bed cloth install.

No one does what I do, regardless of what they claim to be able to do.
Looks great! I would have my gc restored instead of getting a diamond if you would come down to Texas. I wouldnít even make you put horns on it.

Old
  (#28)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

10-22-2019, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Don't care about all the
thank you'd, I just wish the CUSTOMERS would spend a little
more time in doing THEIR due diligence before they choose
someone to work on their pool table(s)! That is what it's
going to take in order to improve this industry, but as long as
cheap is the deciding factor, nothing will change.
You dont have to be rude. I was only
giving credit where it is due. I understand
what you are saying about cheap customers
and you know how to handle that:
SAY NO TO THE JOB. Simple as that.
Most people are cheap and that is a fact.
I try to be cost effective, but, when it comes
down to it I know you get what you pay for.
Hence I farm out any work I don't think I can
do properly. When the subrails are chewed in
the staple relief and the jaws are roached, I send
them down to Jack Z and he replaces it all. New formica
needed: take it over to my buddy that does it right.
Powder coating or chroming same thing.

Trent from Toledo

Last edited by trentfromtoledo; 10-22-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Old
  (#29)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You dont have to be rude. I was only
giving credit where it is due. I understand
what you are saying about cheap customers
and you know how to handle that:
SAY NO TO THE JOB. Simple as that.
Most people are cheap and that is a fact.
I try to be cost effective, but, when it comes
down to it I know you get what you pay for.
Hence I farm out any work I don't think I can
do properly. When the subrails are chewed in
the staple relief and the jaws are roached, I send
them down to Jack Z and he replaces it all. New formica
needed: take it over to my buddy that does it right.
Powder coating or chroming same thing.

Trent from Toledo
Wasn't trying to be rude, I do appreciate the thank you, was just trying trying to make a point.

Old
  (#30)
trentfromtoledo
8onthebreaktoledo

10-22-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Wasn't trying to be rude, I do appreciate the thank you, was just trying trying to make a point.
Love ya RKC! You care about this business and I do to.
When I first joined AZB and was catching flack from some of the locals for being the newbie, someone said this in my defense:
"This business will dictate who will come and go" <<<-- That was YOU!
I care about my customers and my reputation because they go hand in hand!
I am in this for the long term, I work hard and always trying to learn new stuff.

Trent from Toledo

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: