Let's talk shafts

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm going to be having a new cue made before long and am interested in trying a couple of the new shafts on it. I haven't tried any of the later designs but did try the original Predator and wasn't pleased. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. I have always played with McDaniel cue generally with a steel joint and have really liked the hit.

brokenarrowjbe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brent Hartman made a break shaft for me out of eucalyptus and it breaks a ton. I have a Arnot T3 shaft that I had shaved down to 12.25 mm. It plays fine for me but the LD guys say it is not low deflection compared to theirs.

Papa Red

Love it or Leave
Silver Member
Find a local vendor for OB cues and try them! OB-1&2 have a soft hit where as the classic & classic pro have a firm hit. Since you like the stainless joint you will more than likely prefer the classic series.

DrOnePocket

Banned
McDaniel shafts are damn near impossible to beat.

If it's too stiff for you have someone lengthen the taper a little. You aren't really gonna get a "better" shaft.

If you want an aftermarket ld shaft take a look at the Tiger's and the OB's.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried a lot of different shafts...now I play with the Tiger Ultra.

For me, it is the best shaft.

krychekrowe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the hit and feel of Mezz WD 700 and Tiger Ultra X. Both feel like solid shafts not super low deflection but very consistent none the less.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
If you want to talk about shafts, then let's talk about the one my third wife gave me a few years ago.
Aside from that, however, I think experimenting with different types, as well as different brands, would be a good way to go, especially if you're a bucks up kind of guy.
Having said that, I also agree with DOP about sticking with the McDaniel. :smile:

RSCA HOOLIGAN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SS360 shaft

if you want a low deflection shaft you should try the SS360 shaft from Bob Danielson ( BD CUES ) , this shaft is out of this world .
I had the opportunity to test this shaft and was completely blown away by the performance of it .
I then immediately contacted Bob and ordered one for myself , more than that i ordered a complete cue with the SS360 shaft .
You can buy this shaft for $160 witch i think is way too cheap but you don't hear me complain about that :smile:
I promise you this shaft puts a smile on your face .

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
Nothing is better than my hand made Ricco's shaft (soft tip). It's like an extension of my hand. I've struggled with it because it's hyper sensitive but learning to control it is so cool.

We also have a McDermot with the G-Core 206 shaft, our friends LOVE IT, and it delivers great control.

We met someone that has a G-core with a composite shaft, that was super tiny tip and it felt really nice too.

My backup is a cheap Action cue with a rock hard shaft and hard tip that deliver exactly what you put in to the cb and nothing else.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I'm going to be having a new cue made before long and am interested in trying a couple of the new shafts on it. I haven't tried any of the later designs but did try the original Predator and wasn't pleased. Any thoughts and recommendations would be appreciated. I have always played with McDaniel cue generally with a steel joint and have really liked the hit.

if you want a mass produced factory shaft why waste money on a custom cue??

if you don't like the shaft they make choose a different maker...

I'm confused

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDaniel shafts are damn near impossible to beat.

If it's too stiff for you have someone lengthen the taper a little. You aren't really gonna get a "better" shaft.

If you want an aftermarket ld shaft take a look at the Tiger's and the OB's.

I agree about the McDaniel shafts and I'm not changing the shafts on my McDaniel cues. This is for a cue I'm having made and I can't get a McDaniel shaft for it right now. So I thought I would try one of these new generation ones.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Gulyassy SPTX

I'm playing with a Gulyassy SPTX shaft, 30 inches, 12.75 mm. LOVE it. It's the same shaft Strickland uses on his 73 inch javelin, it's got a very long pro taper (like 20 inches!), but the shaft freeze finish Mike Gulyassy uses keeps it stiffer than it looks. Fairly low deflection (kind of like an early Predator), great feedback/feel.:thumbup:

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
John Schmidt and Corey Deuel have quite a discussion on TAR 24 (?) on this subject. John says that although he believes a new player should shoot with an LD shaft, that when he switched to one it took him a very long time to adjust. The bottom line was stick to what you are generally used to. There is no magic arrow...Tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8KsVm9ePlk

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
shafts

I like the old growth maple shafts , solid not diced or sliced or dipped in glue, no foam or balsa wood, or hollow.

mother nature's best. I have heard of one out fit that has recovered some old growth maple logs that where under water for 60 to 80 years and the shafts are the best .

i have some bowling alley wood shafts that i like alot .

Everyone has a different opinion. and it all comes down to what you like.

My opinion is bias I have had (some) problems with laminated shafts .

Happy hunting

MMike

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if you want a low deflection shaft you should try the SS360 shaft from Bob Danielson ( BD CUES ) , this shaft is out of this world .
I had the opportunity to test this shaft and was completely blown away by the performance of it .
I then immediately contacted Bob and ordered one for myself , more than that i ordered a complete cue with the SS360 shaft .
You can buy this shaft for $160 witch i think is way too cheap but you don't hear me complain about that :smile:
I promise you this shaft puts a smile on your face .

i'll second your opinion on that. the ss360 shaft is awesome. way better than the new predator shafts hands down

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Let me add another two-cents here. Some of the best pool ever played on the planet was played by guys and gals who thought low deflection was the angle of the sun hitting them on the ass as they walked into a pool room for a night's work. :smile: