Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...
Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...
Old
  (#1)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types... - 11-04-2013, 01:27 PM

I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball, which he has to do with a "floating" bridge. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting, and potentially different bridge heights. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

PBIA Master Instructor

Last edited by Scott Lee; 11-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.

Old
  (#2)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas!

Scott Lee
Mike Danner designed the stretch bridge, I'm sure you know which bridge I'm talking about. You'd be better off figuring out how to attatch it to his wrist on the bottom side with velcro so that not only can he hold the bridge head steady, he's also learning how to use a bridge as well. There's a player up here in the Kent WA area that lost his left hand in an accident, and had one of the stretch bridges designed to fit his remaining wrist, and he shoots to damn good to give him any weight that's for sure.

Glen

Old
  (#3)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-04-2013, 01:48 PM

Scott, I hink of gymnist type gloves that have small tubes embedded in them to allow the gymnist to hold onto the bar......perhaps a glove that has a grove (made out of something) sewn into the top of the glove, or a sleeeve sewn into the glove that allows one to inset a hard groved piece. It seems like it would be stable
Attached Images

Old
  (#4)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:00 PM

As a very low-tech solution, depending on his ability to grasp firmly with his hand, you could just use a bridge head attached to a short length of dowel or other type of handle. If he can hold onto it, it's quite a decent bridge. If he doesn't have the ability to grasp a handle, you'd have to get more creative.

-Andrew

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#5)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Manning View Post
As a very low-tech solution, depending on his ability to grasp firmly with his hand, you could just use a bridge head attached to a short length of dowel or other type of handle. If he can hold onto it, it's quite a decent bridge. If he doesn't have the ability to grasp a handle, you'd have to get more creative.

-Andrew
Yes, and if he can't grip it you could run the dowel down his wrist/arm and attach with Velcro straps around the wrist and maybe another strap running length ways and across the face of the bridge. If I could get to him I would hook him up
Good work Scott

"I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a more intellegent statement than this one." - Unknown

"'i didnt shoot bad the table beat me' - Did the table miscue for you too?" - JCIN

"My game will be your teacher." - CJ Wiley
AKA-Body-Lock

Old
  (#6)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:

-Andrew
That's along the lines of what I was thinking: mount a moosehead bridge to a 8" length of dowel rod and affix the end of the dowel to a glove. He could rotate the bridge on the dowel to get the position he wants on the CB low-draw to jacked-up.

I think a bowling glove would work well. It's designed to keep the wrist straight and firm, so it has the built-in firmness that a billiard glove lacks.

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Old
  (#7)
peteypooldude
I see Edges
peteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond reputepeteypooldude has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:11 PM

This will sound weird but trust me, go to a Bodyshop and ask a body man
<~~~ body men are creative and can fix anything
Also mechanics are pretty swift, this would not be hard

"I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a more intellegent statement than this one." - Unknown

"'i didnt shoot bad the table beat me' - Did the table miscue for you too?" - JCIN

"My game will be your teacher." - CJ Wiley
AKA-Body-Lock

Old
  (#8)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:19 PM

Andrew...He cannot grasp anything, nor can he open his hand...hence this thread!

Scott Lee

Quote:

-Andrew

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#9)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-04-2013, 02:20 PM

Glen...I am familiar with the Stretch System. That's a thought, for sure. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
Mike Danner designed the stretch bridge, I'm sure you know which bridge I'm talking about. You'd be better off figuring out how to attatch it to his wrist on the bottom side with velcro so that not only can he hold the bridge head steady, he's also learning how to use a bridge as well. There's a player up here in the Kent WA area that lost his left hand in an accident, and had one of the stretch bridges designed to fit his remaining wrist, and he shoots to damn good to give him any weight that's for sure.

Glen

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#10)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-04-2013, 02:22 PM

Mike...He is unable to uncurl his hand to even be able to put on a glove...unfortunately.

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4 View Post
Scott, I hink of gymnist type gloves that have small tubes embedded in them to allow the gymnist to hold onto the bar......perhaps a glove that has a grove (made out of something) sewn into the top of the glove, or a sleeeve sewn into the glove that allows one to inset a hard groved piece. It seems like it would be stable

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#11)
Dopc
www.PoolActionTV.com
Dopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond reputeDopc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-04-2013, 02:25 PM

Just a thought here, rather than wrapping a strap around the wrist, maybe wrap it around the palm of the hand just below the webbing of the thumb. With some sort of implementation attached to the strap (like you mentioned above) to the back of the hand for a bridge. My thinking is it would place the bridge device closer to its more typical placement.

Another idea would be (depending on the range of motion he has) would be some sort of brass knuckles like device with bridge grooves over the finger tops. Allowing him to place his hand flat on the surface.

Something like this with bridge grooves over the fingers. It could be fairly easily molded or shaped/hand tooled from a variety of materials including wood, metal or plastics. Maybe take a stock nylon/plastic bridge head, drill finger holes and shape to comfort. I'm just trying to think outside the box and throw brainstorming ideas into the think tank here.

Hope this offers a little creative inspiration and I commend you for your efforts.

Dopc.

Cues: Huebler & several other production cues.
Table: 8' Connelly Kayenta in walnut.
Cloth: Simonis 860hr Tournament Blue.
Balls: Aramith Tournament Pro-Cup with a DIY bucket ball polisher.
Seating: Two American Heritage King Spectator chairs.

Last edited by Dopc; 11-04-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Old
  (#12)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-04-2013, 02:26 PM

peteypooldude...That's an idea too...strapping some kind of dowel or maybe a flatter piece of wood. That would give good stability to his lower arm and wrist! Thanks! The guy is in Clearwater FL, but thanks for the offer!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypooldude View Post
Yes, and if he can't grip it you could run the dowel down his wrist/arm and attach with Velcro straps around the wrist and maybe another strap running length ways and across the face of the bridge. If I could get to him I would hook him up
Good work Scott

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#13)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Dopc...I like both of your ideas! I don't think he can uncurl his fingers enough (neurological problems) to use the 'brass knuckle' idea (his dad explained the problems doing that, and is a licensed neurological physical therapist)...but that is interesting!

Keep them coming guys...lots of possibilities here. I told his dad last night about AzB, and that he should sign up and post about this. Hopefully he will see this thread and chime in!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopc View Post
Just a thought here, rather than wrapping a strap around the wrist, maybe wrap it around the palm of the hand just below the webbing of the thumb. With some sort of implementation attached to the strap (like you mentioned above) to the back of the hand for a bridge. My thinking is it would place the bridge device closer to its more typical placement.

Another idea would be (depending on the range of motion he has) would be some sort of brass knuckles like device with bridge grooves over the finger tops. Allowing him to place his hand flat on the surface.

something like this with bridge grooves over the fingers. It could be fairly easily molded or shaped/hand tooled from a variety of materials including wood or plastics.

Hope this offers a little creative inspiration and I commend you for your efforts.

Dopc.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#14)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-04-2013, 02:36 PM

bdorman...I showed him the moosehead bridge, as I carry one with me, and was thinking of a way to use that somehow! Since he can't wear a glove, maybe just a wrist brace would work with your idea!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdorman View Post
That's along the lines of what I was thinking: mount a moosehead bridge to a 8" length of dowel rod and affix the end of the dowel to a glove. He could rotate the bridge on the dowel to get the position he wants on the CB low-draw to jacked-up.

I think a bowling glove would work well. It's designed to keep the wrist straight and firm, so it has the built-in firmness that a billiard glove lacks.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#15)
Ballbreaker
AzB Silver Member
Ballbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond reputeBallbreaker has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2013, 02:38 PM

http://handibridge.com/

Playing cues:Carolina Custom
Custom Break Cue
Dymondwood Duece jump cue
Table: Diamond Professional with simonis 860 tourney blue cloth

Page 1 of 6 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: