Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page A question for you creative/engineer/inventor types...
Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
RRfireblade
Grammer Are For Stupids
RRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond reputeRRfireblade has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-05-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
Jay...Thank you for your very generous offer. I will relay that to his dad, and he might just take you up on it!

I knew that by bringing this man to the attention of the AzB community, people would reach out to help a fellow poolplayer! Thank you everyone, for all the great ideas, and offers to help! You ALL are the best!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Not a problem at all. Have him PM me for my contact info and we can go from there. I'm sure we can nail this thing down in an afternoon.

Jay.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Old
  (#47)
fast&loose designs
Chris Santana
fast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond reputefast&loose designs has a reputation beyond repute

11-05-2013, 09:38 PM

Scott, there are a lot of great ideas here, but what he really needs is something custom, not production. Today's technology is amazing - he can have his arm & hand 3D scanned for custom fitting. It's basically a machine that laser scans his entire arm to obtain a 3D image with which to work with. Once that image is created, you can work around it and figure out exact measurements for custom parts, and with 3D printing technology, do it for cheaper than ever before.

For that to happen, he would need to get in touch with a facility that has said technology, pay for the scan (probably around $100), get in touch with a designer/engineer (me, for instance), have a part designed out of an appropriate material, and 3D print all parts.

Depending on the amount of material, printing a part about that size would range between $200-$1000 (vague, I know, but certain materials are very difficult to 3D print, others very easy).

Finally, depending on complexity of the part and the amount of work it demands, I might consider doing it pro-bono. However, something of that magnitude may take some time. Of course, seeing said player in action and in person would be best.

If any of that sounds expensive, he might disagree. I can't imagine what I would be willing to pay if it meant I could shoot pool more easily and comfortably if I were disabled.

Hope this helps, good luck finding the right answers!

Old
  (#48)
jrackman
AzB Silver Member
jrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond reputejrackman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-05-2013, 10:33 PM

That's very big of you and I hope he takes you up on your offer. Also there was a thread on here a few years ago about Scott Simonetti from Castle Billiards in N.J.and his custom made brace/bridge that a fellow player made for him after Scott S. got sick. I am hoping this works out as well as it did for Scott S.....Jeff

''A man who doesn't make a bet everyday might be walking around lucky and not even know it.'' Jimmy Dean

Old
  (#49)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-06-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks Chris...that's another option too. I happen to have a student in NYC who owns a 3D printer...so that could work too!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscraperChris View Post
Scott, there are a lot of great ideas here, but what he really needs is something custom, not production. Today's technology is amazing - he can have his arm & hand 3D scanned for custom fitting. It's basically a machine that laser scans his entire arm to obtain a 3D image with which to work with. Once that image is created, you can work around it and figure out exact measurements for custom parts, and with 3D printing technology, do it for cheaper than ever before.

For that to happen, he would need to get in touch with a facility that has said technology, pay for the scan (probably around $100), get in touch with a designer/engineer (me, for instance), have a part designed out of an appropriate material, and 3D print all parts.

Depending on the amount of material, printing a part about that size would range between $200-$1000 (vague, I know, but certain materials are very difficult to 3D print, others very easy).

Finally, depending on complexity of the part and the amount of work it demands, I might consider doing it pro-bono. However, something of that magnitude may take some time. Of course, seeing said player in action and in person would be best.

If any of that sounds expensive, he might disagree. I can't imagine what I would be willing to pay if it meant I could shoot pool more easily and comfortably if I were disabled.

Hope this helps, good luck finding the right answers!

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#50)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

jrackman...Yeah, I mentioned that thread in my first post, hoping someone here would find it and post a link!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrackman View Post
That's very big of you and I hope he takes you up on your offer. Also there was a thread on here a few years ago about Scott Simonetti from Castle Billiards in N.J.and his custom made brace/bridge that a fellow player made for him after Scott S. got sick. I am hoping this works out as well as it did for Scott S.....Jeff

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#51)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Will do, Jay! Thanks again!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRfireblade View Post
Not a problem at all. Have him PM me for my contact info and we can go from there. I'm sure we can nail this thing down in an afternoon.

Jay.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#52)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 12:25 PM

I've seen/heard some Asian players utilizing small tubes for the shaft for breaking the balls. Some duct tape and go from there. Duct tape doesn't bond to skin if there is ANY moisture/sweat. Hiking in Colorado with climbing boots or new shoes, I always use this on raw skin, works Extremely well....eliminates Blisters before they start, and comes off Easily.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#53)
eastcoast_chris
AzB Silver Member
eastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond reputeeastcoast_chris has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 01:11 PM

What about modifying a "Flexi-Rest" to attach/strap to his wrist?

This way it would be possible to easily "flex" it into a new position for different shots/over balls,etc.

Here is a link to the product;

https://www.cuepower.co.uk/the-flexi...ucrqda5cblavq7

HOURS PER WEEK YOU PLAY POOL: 12-15
CUES: Adam Classic Cue/OB-1 Shaft, OB Break Cue/OB Break Shaft, Bunjee for Jumping
BEVERAGE of CHOICE: Keiths or Olands at night, Coke Zero in the daytime

Old
  (#54)
John Novak
AzB Silver Member
John Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Novak has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
I have a student whose adult son has CP in his lower arm and bridge hand. It doesn't allow him to make a conventional bridge, or even a fist bridge. He bridges the cue over his wrist, and doesn't have any real way to keep it steady, other than gripping tightly. It is especially difficult when shooting over a ball, which he has to do with a "floating" bridge. I had an idea of making an inch wide elastic strap that would go around his wrist, attached with velcro (so he could make as tight or loose as he wanted), and then attaching a velcro strip across the top part where his wrist is. Then you could make a kind of a bridge "head", with grooves for the cue, out of wood or plastic, and have that mesh with the velcro to create a stable place for his cue. His swing is already pretty good, and straight...and this would give him options, both on positioning the "bridge head", where he was most comfortable shooting, and potentially different bridge heights. Anybody run across a problem like this, or have any ideas to contribute? I know there is player in NJ who is missing a hand, and has some kind of prosthetic bridge that fits on the end of his arm (if anybody can post a link to that thread, I'd appreciate it). My guy has his hand...he just can't use it functionally. Thanks for any ideas!

Scott Lee

Scott
You might want to take a look at what Paul Fanelli made for Scott Simonetti

Looks like it might work for your friend.... http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/p...ting-the-odds/

Old
  (#55)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 04:29 PM

Tomorrow I will be at Castle Billiards for APA league night. If I see Scott Simonetti, I will mention to him the interest on AZ about his setup.

Scott Lee,
In case you're still looking for more detailed information, I can forward your contact information to Mr. Simonetti. Is your number still area code (773), and ends in 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novak View Post
Scott

Looks like it might work for your friend.... http://www.nycgrind.com/the-latest/p...ting-the-odds/

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#56)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Henry...Yes...773-551-7473; email: poolology@aol.com Please tell him I'd like to know more about it. Thank you Henry!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyhntr View Post
Tomorrow I will be at Castle Billiards for APA league night. If I see Scott Simonetti, I will mention to him the interest on AZ about his setup.

Scott Lee,
In case you're still looking for more detailed information, I can forward your contact information to Mr. Simonetti. Is your number still area code (773), and ends in 3?

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#57)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-06-2013, 09:04 PM

John Novak...THANK YOU for the link. I was hoping someone would post it. That looks EXACTLY like what would work perfectly for this young man. I love the multiple functions of Scott Simonetti's bridge. Even though he has a hand, it doesn't function, and this thing looks like it would fit him very well!

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Novak View Post
Scott

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#58)
thefonz
It's not me...it's my ADD
thefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond reputethefonz has a reputation beyond repute

11-06-2013, 09:24 PM

Can he learn to shoot left handed?

Old
  (#59)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2013, 10:19 AM

thefonz...He already does! Now, before you ask, "Can he learn to shoot right handed?"...think about it. If he can't make a bridge with his disabled hand, how is going to be able to hold the cue?

Scott Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
Can he learn to shoot left handed?

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#60)
bdorman
Dead money
bdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond reputebdorman has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Scott,

If I make a fist with my bridge hand, does that essentially mimic the shape of his hand?

Is his wrist straight like yours would be if you made a fist and laid your arm on a flat surface? Or is his wrist curled or otherwise mis-formed?

Just trying to get an clearer idea of situation.

The more I practice, the luckier I get. --- Gary Player

I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it. --- Abraham Lincoln

Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers. --- Voltaire

Page 4 of 6 « First 234 56

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: