Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page 3 Foul Rule in 9 Ball Question
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
dougster26
AzB Silver Member
dougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
Under World Standardized Rules, 3 fouls is covered under fouls for all games that have a three foul rule, straight pool included. You must inform the player he is "on two" when he comes to the table. If you fail to notify him and he fouls again the fouls do not reset but he is still considered to be on two fouls.
Thank you, that answers the question. It's not a sportmanship question, it's what's the rule.

Old
  (#17)
DogsPlayingPool
"What's in your wallet?"
DogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond reputeDogsPlayingPool has a reputation beyond repute

02-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougster26 View Post
Thank you, that answers the question. It's not a sportmanship question, it's what's the rule.

I'm not sure the way I explained it was completely clear so let me confirm. If you do not inform him he's on two and he fouls a third successive time it does not count as a third foul. But he is still on two, not back to zero.

"It's not enough that you just have talent, you gotta have character too." - Eddie Felson

Old
  (#18)
Scott Lee
AzB Silver Member

Scott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond reputeScott Lee has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

02-07-2015, 08:45 AM

While many players, especially gambling, subscribe to the "you snooze, you lose" scenario, personally I have more integrity than that. I have ALWAYS called my own fouls (even those that may result in loss of game), whether my opponent knew it, saw it...or not. You still have to look in the mirror. Either you have integrity or you don't. The day I have to cheat to win a game of pool, I will be hanging my cue up for good! JMO I like Bob's idea of a visual foul indicator.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Quote:
However, I was referring to playing for money. If I know I am on 2 and the person doesn't tell me, playing for money, then I don't consider it unsportsmanlike. The rules are the rules.

PBIA Master Instructor

Old
  (#19)
BeiberLvr
AzB Silver Member
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post
While many players, especially gambling, subscribe to the "you snooze, you lose" scenario, personally I have more integrity than that. I have ALWAYS called my own fouls (even those that may result in loss of game), whether my opponent knew it, saw it...or not. You still have to look in the mirror. Either you have integrity or you don't. The day I have to cheat to win a game of pool, I will be hanging my cue up for good! JMO I like Bob's idea of a visual foul indicator.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Scott,

This has been brought up plenty of times here.

If I'm on two, and foul, then I'll definitely call it on myself. However, if my opponent doesn't tell me I'm on two (which is their responsibility not mine), then tough luck for them.

Following the rules does not and should not diminish one's integrity.

Old
  (#20)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
I think there is an exception for a visible scoreboard on which the fouls are noted.
That's my understanding as well.

Old
  (#21)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
That's right. I remember an issue in a WPBA event where the player who was on two fouls didn't hear her opponent tell her, so the WPBA created a rule that the player must acknowledge to her opponent that she heard it. A simple 'OK" was was acceptable.

Makes sense, actually. I highly recommend that leagues and tournaments adapt this.

Old
  (#22)
dougster26
AzB Silver Member
dougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond reputedougster26 has a reputation beyond repute

02-07-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsPlayingPool View Post
I'm not sure the way I explained it was completely clear so let me confirm. If you do not inform him he's on two and he fouls a third successive time it does not count as a third foul. But he is still on two, not back to zero.
Yes you explained it clearly, however a simple question has turned into a technicality issue, being able to sleep at night, and looking into the mirror situation. I have always called fouls on myself, I don't play for money, however if I did and the rule is your opponent has to inform you that you are on 2 and $500 was on the line, I really think that I would rather look at myself in the mirror after a good nights sleep knowing that I have an extra $500 to spend today. All I was asking was "what is the rule".

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: