Reload this Page straight pool 3 foul role
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
straight pool 3 foul role
Old
  (#1)
crww
AzB Silver Member
crww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond reputecrww has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

straight pool 3 foul role - 12-15-2017, 02:58 PM

I was playing in my straight pool league last nite when the following situation came up. After being on 2 fouls I tried a safe shot but unfortunately scratched. I know it costs me 15 points, but I was under the impression that I had to rerack and do a break shot. My opponent said that he had the option of taking ball in hand behind the line. I tried to google it on phone. the 15 ball penalty came up, but no mention of what happens after.

Thanks,
Craig

Old
  (#2)
ugotactionTX
I'm in dead rack!
ugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4600

12-15-2017, 03:28 PM

he was correct.

The incoming player has a choice... accepting the table in position with the cue ball in hand behind the head string, or having all 15 balls re-racked and requiring the player that fouled break with the same rules as the opening break

Old
  (#3)
mikemosconi
AzB Silver Member
mikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond reputemikemosconi has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crww View Post
I was playing in my straight pool league last nite when the following situation came up. After being on 2 fouls I tried a safe shot but unfortunately scratched. I know it costs me 15 points, but I was under the impression that I had to rerack and do a break shot. My opponent said that he had the option of taking ball in hand behind the line. I tried to google it on phone. the 15 ball penalty came up, but no mention of what happens after.

Thanks,
Craig
He has the option of not re racking the balls and playing the next shot from where the cue ball lies after your failed safe attempt. However, if you third failed safe attempt resulted in the cue ball being pocketed or leaving the table entirely, then he can place the cue ball anywhere behind the headstring and can shoot at any ball forward of the headstring without re racking the balls. he can also choose a full rerack of all 15 balls and you then must break according to the opening break rules.

Old
  (#4)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotactionTX View Post
he was correct.

The incoming player has a choice... accepting the table in position with the cue ball in hand behind the head string, or having all 15 balls re-racked and requiring the player that fouled break with the same rules as the opening break
No -- there used to be a choice, but not for quite a few years now (at least in the WPA world-standardized rules and in the CSI rules). The player who committed the 3 successive fouls must re-break all 15 balls under opening break requirements.

welp
Old
  (#5)
ugotactionTX
I'm in dead rack!
ugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond reputeugotactionTX has a reputation beyond repute

welp - 12-15-2017, 03:40 PM

there you have it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
No -- there used to be a choice, but not for quite a few years now (at least in the WPA world-standardized rules and in the CSI rules). The player who committed the 3 successive fouls must re-break all 15 balls under opening break requirements.

Old
  (#6)
sparkle84
AzB Silver Member
sparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond reputesparkle84 has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
he was correct.

This is incorrect. It's an automatic rerack and offending player breaks.
This rule was changed some years back. At one time the incoming player had the option but it was to accept the table as it lay not to get BIH behind the line.
That was never an option.
You have a choice in the event of an illegal break but not 3 fouls.

Old
  (#7)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Thanx, AtLarge...I was getting confused...
..I've always played total re-rack.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#8)
ugotactionTX
I'm in dead rack!

12-15-2017, 03:43 PM

thanks I was not aware of that rule change.

Old
  (#9)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
thanks I was not aware of that rule change.
There's nothing wrong with the other way, either...I just wasn't aware of it.

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#10)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle84 View Post
This is incorrect. It's an automatic rerack and offending player breaks.
This rule was changed some years back. At one time the incoming player had the option but it was to accept the table as it lay not to get BIH behind the line.
That was never an option.
You have a choice in the event of an illegal break but not 3 fouls.
The history of three-foul rule has been discussed before. 50 years ago it was the same as today -- mandatory re-rack and break. In between someone thought they would "fix" the rule and put in an option. I think it may have been to avoid the following situation:

The player is on two fouls. He shoots a hard cut shot that misses and the cue ball breaks the rack wide open leaving 8 easy shots. A ball is rolling back towards him, slowly. He stays in position on the table until the ball hits him. "Oops, that's three. Rack'em up."

The correct rule to apply to that situation is unsportsmanlike conduct. If I'm the ref, he loses the match.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#11)
Fenwick
AzB Silver Member
Fenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 05:20 PM

BTW. It's a 18 teen ball foul. Add the 3 fouls and then - the 15 balls. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old
  (#12)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick View Post
BTW. It's a 18 teen ball foul. Add the 3 fouls and then - the 15 balls. Correct me if I'm wrong.
-1 on the first foul, -1 on the second foul, -1 plus -15 (-16) on the 3rd foul. All totaled between the 3 fouls, it is -18, but not -18 on the third foul alone.

Old
  (#13)
Fenwick
AzB Silver Member
Fenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond reputeFenwick has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
-1 on the first foul, -1 on the second foul, -1 plus -15 (-16) on the 3rd foul. All totaled between the 3 fouls, it is -18, but not -18 on the third foul alone.
That's what I was trying to say.

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock

12-15-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenwick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
I've always played a three-foul as a total of 17 in the hole...
...doesn't seem right to add on an extra foul for the third one...that's double jeopardy.

..at nine ball, doesn't matter how many infractions you make on one shot...
...it's ONE ball in hand.

Hopefully, an expert will come along and clarify....BOB!!!!!!!

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
I've always played a three-foul as a total of 17 in the hole...
...doesn't seem right to add on an extra foul for the third one...that's double jeopardy.

..at nine ball, doesn't matter how many infractions you make on one shot...
...it's ONE ball in hand.

Hopefully, an expert will come along and clarify....BOB!!!!!!!
BCA 14.1 rules - a point is subtracted for the 3rd foul, plus another 15 for a total of -16 for the 3rd foul.

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: