Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Who Should Be Selected to the 2019 USA Mosconi Cup Team?
Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Who Should Be Selected to the 2019 USA Mosconi Cup Team?
Old
  (#1)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Who Should Be Selected to the 2019 USA Mosconi Cup Team? - 05-30-2019, 10:38 AM

Less than 6 months now until the 2019 Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas. You can bet team Europe will be going all out to win back the Cup, after we broke their 8 consecutive year reign last year in London. I haven't looked at the current Euro tour standings and whether that has any impact on who gets selected, but you can be sure they won't make the same huge blunder they did last year by leaving the current 9-Ball World and US Open Champion Joshua Filler off of their team. I would fully expect Shaw, Ouschan and Kaci to be joining him, with their final pick likely going to one of the following - Gorst, Feijen, Sanchez Ruiz, Kazakis or Alcaide. Regardless of who that final pick is, they will be a tough adversary.

Our best chance to retain the cup will be to put up our best five 9-ball players, which in my opinion, we've failed to do in recent years. No one can dispute SVB and Woodward (last year's MVP) as our top picks. After that, I think most would agree that Dechaine and Bergman are undoubtedly among the top 4 players we have, but for whatever reasons (I'm assuming for lack of tournament play) neither one has played in the Mosconi Cup since 2016. Even if those two play, which is a big "if", the final pick is still wide open. I'm guessing many will choose Billy Thorpe, since he's been on our Mosconi team the past 2 years. Those would be the 5 players I would choose if it was up to me, although others may consider Deuel, Morris, Earl, Hatch, Dominguez, Archer, Bowman, Roberts, Styer (on last year's victorious team) or another worthy player whom I've failed to mention.

If there is any reason why any certain US players would not be permitted to represent our team in the Mosconi Cup, by Matchroom or whomever, I think this should be fully disclosed as to who and why, so we aren't left to blindly speculate why certain players may not be on this team - just my opinion. Just curious how my top 5 picks may differ from others here who care to share your choices?

Old
  (#2)
vjmehra
AzB Silver Member
vjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond reputevjmehra has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Less than 6 months now until the 2019 Mosconi Cup in Las Vegas. You can bet team Europe will be going all out to win back the Cup, after we broke their 8 consecutive year reign last year in London. I haven't looked at the current Euro tour standings and whether that has any impact on who gets selected, but you can be sure they won't make the same huge blunder they did last year by leaving the current 9-Ball World and US Open Champion Joshua Filler off of their team. I would fully expect Shaw, Ouschan and Kaci to be joining him, with their final pick likely going to one of the following - Gorst, Feijen, Sanchez Ruiz, Kazakis or Alcaide. Regardless of who that final pick is, they will be a tough adversary.

Our best chance to retain the cup will be to put up our best five 9-ball players, which in my opinion, we've failed to do in recent years. No one can dispute SVB and Woodward (last year's MVP) as our top picks. After that, I think most would agree that Dechaine and Bergman are undoubtedly among the top 4 players we have, but for whatever reasons (I'm assuming for lack of tournament play) neither one has played in the Mosconi Cup since 2016. Even if those two play, which is a big "if", the final pick is still wide open. I'm guessing many will choose Billy Thorpe, since he's been on our Mosconi team the past 2 years. Those would be the 5 players I would choose if it was up to me, although others may consider Deuel, Morris, Earl, Hatch, Dominguez, Archer, Bowman, Roberts, Styer (on last year's victorious team) or another worthy player whom I've failed to mention.

If there is any reason why any certain US players would not be permitted to represent our team in the Mosconi Cup, by Matchroom or whomever, I think this should be fully disclosed as to who and why, so we aren't left to blindly speculate why certain players may not be on this team - just my opinion. Just curious how my top 5 picks may differ from others here who care to share your choices?
It's no mystery, Matchroom are very transparent about the qualifying, if you don't play in enough qualifying tournaments, you can't get enough points to qualify (same for the Europeans, albeit the list of tournaments is different).

Old
  (#3)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

05-30-2019, 11:50 AM

SVB, Woodward and Thorpe for sure. After that, it's not so simple.

I was on the fence about Tyler Styer, who exceeded expectations in the 2018 Mosconi, but his solid effort in the Derby City 9-ball along with his strong showing at the US Open 9-ball make him deserving.

For the fifth spot, I'd go fine with Josh Roberts, who beat SVB at Derby City in the 9-ball. Josh has been a good player for a while now. He's a clutch performer and I'd like to see him get a shot.

Last edited by sjm; 05-30-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Old
  (#4)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

05-30-2019, 11:51 AM

Well, since you opened up this can-of-worms....IMHO SVB and Woodward are locks and everyone else is just a toss-up.

It would be easier if they just picked the 5 Americans with the highest Fargo rate. Why don't they do that?

Maniac (Because it wouldn't manufacture as much drama)

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Cases: JB Ultimate Rugged 3x6, 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#5)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

05-30-2019, 12:12 PM

I think Schmidt should be picked. The reason is it might help the publicity of the whole sport, by tying in his 626 with the namesake of the event.

Old
  (#6)
Z-Nole
AzB Silver Member
Z-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond reputeZ-Nole has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
I think Schmidt should be picked. The reason is it might help the publicity of the whole sport, by tying in his 626 with the namesake of the event.
Everyone knows he can only play by himself.

Old
  (#7)
PhilosopherKing
AzB Silver Member
PhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond reputePhilosopherKing has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 12:38 PM

Personally, I'd like to see Bergman and Dechaine in the mix... You can't just look away from that kind of talent.

Old
  (#8)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosopherKing View Post
Personally, I'd like to see Bergman and Dechaine in the mix... You can't just look away from that kind of talent.
They are not full time nine ball players and I'd rather see someone much more dedicated to nine ball competition get the nod. Yes, they are talented and each has a gear that is truly amazing.

Old
  (#9)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

05-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Certainly the reason isn't performance. John finished tied for 97th at the US Open 9-ball and reached just round 7 at the Derby City 9-ball. In recent years, he's not produced evidence of any kind that he can hang with the best at nine ball. If this is what you want, my best guess is that you're rooting for Team Europe.

Old
  (#10)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Maybe he should run for president also

Old
  (#11)
iusedtoberich
AzB Silver Member

iusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond reputeiusedtoberich has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1470

05-30-2019, 01:46 PM

No, Iím rooting for pool, not for Europe. Schmidt is not the best pick from a current skill ability, agreed. But he may be the best pick from a publicity standpoint.

Old
  (#12)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers

05-30-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
No, I’m rooting for pool, not for Europe. Schmidt is not the best pick from a current skill ability, agreed. But he may be the best pick from a publicity standpoint.
Maybe you're right about the publicity, but I don't see it that way.

Old
  (#13)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
No, Iím rooting for pool, not for Europe. Schmidt is not the best pick from a current skill ability, agreed. But he may be the best pick from a publicity standpoint.
To who ,, I think some people are way overestimating the value of the accomplishment, when Wille set the record almost everyone in America knew who he was he was a house hold name . I'm sure he is more recognized today by name because of the NYT artical but its a game the general public cares little about and the record ain't changing that one bit ,,

Old
  (#14)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

05-30-2019, 02:35 PM

Hasn't Corey D been playing better this last year or so?

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#15)
RiverCity
~Chuck Fields~
RiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond reputeRiverCity has a reputation beyond repute

05-30-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdoner View Post
Hasn't Corey D been playing better this last year or so?
Damn it Adam, itís not about level of play. We prefer ďfeel goodĒ moments on AZB.

That way we have something to complain about later.

It ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun.

Player: Lucasi w/ Cynergy
Breaker: Poison
Case: JB Cases

Page 1 of 5 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: