Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Which set of rules did you enjoy more?
Page 1 of 3 1 23

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Which set of rules did you enjoy more?
Old
  (#1)
Positively Ralf
AzB Silver Member
Positively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond reputePositively Ralf has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Which set of rules did you enjoy more? - 08-26-2019, 07:05 AM

Wanting to see which made for more exciting pro pool for the people here who watched and followed.

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic

10 Ball Last
Old
  (#2)
King T
AzB Silver Member
King T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond reputeKing T has a reputation beyond repute

10 Ball Last - 08-26-2019, 08:51 AM

I like the 10 Ball Last rule for the pro game. It was a cool thing to see the pro's have to run the entire rack by plan.

Old
  (#3)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ralf View Post
Wanting to see which made for more exciting pro pool for the people here who watched and followed.

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic
Of these three i'd take TS 9ball. My favorite game is modified-WPA 10ball. Same rules with one exception: you can carom/combo the 10b(called of course) to win. IMO its more fun to play and watch. 10b last might be a tad tougher but its not as good to watch. Just my $.02, nothin' else.

Old
  (#4)
YoungAtHeart
AzB Bronze Member
YoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond reputeYoungAtHeart has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 09:02 AM

Out of the 3 options given by the OP, I would say 10ball WC.

IMO it would be good to the same rules used for more comps.

Old
  (#5)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
Of these three i'd take TS 9ball. My favorite game is modified-WPA 10ball. Same rules with one exception: you can carom/combo the 10b(called of course) to win. IMO its more fun to play and watch. 10b last might be a tad tougher but its not as good to watch. Just my $.02, nothin' else.
I much prefer Zuglanís 9-ball rules.
To me, call shots and no early money balls reeks of Ďbar rulesí thinking.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#6)
misterpoole
AzB Silver Member
misterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond reputemisterpoole has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 10:31 AM

If were voting then i would go with 10 ball rules, not last ball. I like the TS rules for everything else.
Edit. Hmm looks like i agree with the cigar czar

Last edited by misterpoole; 08-26-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
What's wrong with called shots at the pro level? I know they don't s%^t too many in but it still happens.

Old
  (#8)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
What's wrong with called shots at the pro level? I know they don't s%^t too many in but it still happens.
There is skill in playing for multiple outcomes when youíre in a trap.

One of many examples
9-ball....7-8-9 are left...7-ball in middle of end rail...one inch off rail.
..8-ball...one diamond away on same rail
9-ball near the pocket on the other side of the same same rail
Cue-ball...other end of the table...3 inches off the rail..just gotta cut the 7 a bit for long bank.

From that distance, I donít feel like a favorite to make the bank
..and I donít feel like a favorite to carom the 8...(.9-ball to far up for carom)
So I jacked up with a hair of low left english
...if I play the bank AND the carom I feel Iím much closer to even money to get out

I made both...and cut the 9-ball in for the match...

3-cushion is rife with these situations...so itís more obvious that calling everything would
take skill OUT of the game.

Tomorrow Iíll take a pic of the situation

Lionize your game.

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#9)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-26-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positively Ralf View Post

The World 10 Ball
The US Open 10 ball
Turning Stone Classic
Zuglanís rules for me are the best of these three. Iíd put the WPA World 10-ball as the worst.

In the end, the rulesets didnít effect the outcome. The best playing players won the respective events.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#10)
Pushout
AzB Silver Member
Pushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond reputePushout has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt109 View Post
What he said^!

I had a stroke. I had it when I came in, I KNOW I did

"Nothing beats playing pool in your underwear at 2 o'clock in the morning." George Fels 1938-2013

Straight Pool is not a race!

Link to 101 Tips to Improve Your Game by George Fels:http://www.mediafire.com/file/ldhxbl..._Game.pdf/file

Old
  (#11)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 11:41 AM

I prefer the US Open 9 ball rules to any others. Winner breaks loser racks. You did not have a 4th choice. If any of those events have winner break loser rack, that would be the event I would choose.

Any of your 3 event choices....do it this way?

Having played and beaten almost every top player in winner break rotation pool tournaments, I will never change my position on this point of view.

In rotation pool, it's the job of the winner to break, as its the job of the loser of the last rack to legally rack the balls in such an order/manner, to NOT allow the breaker to make a ball.

It' the ONLY defense you have when it's played in this correct manner. There's nothing better than seeing large packages in a match and the fight back. The breaker racking their own is too much ''letting the fox'' in the henhouse.

Winner break matches are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster....while ones racking the others preparing their break and rolling the balls from the upper pockets to you, good use of time.

Was very enjoyable watching Neils at Mandalay, break and run a 6 pack on Orcullo outta the gate

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Last edited by Island Drive; 08-26-2019 at 11:43 AM.

Old
  (#12)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-26-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Drive View Post
I prefer the US Open 9 ball rules to any others. Winner breaks loser racks. You did not have a 4th choice. If any of those events have winner break loser rack, that would be the event I would choose.

Any of your 3 event choices....do it this way?

Having played and beaten almost every top player in winner break rotation pool tournaments, I will never change my position on this point of view.

In rotation pool, it's the job of the winner to break, as its the job of the loser of the last rack to legally rack the balls in such an order/manner, to NOT allow the breaker to make a ball.

It' the ONLY defense you have when it's played in this correct manner. There's nothing better than seeing large packages in a match and the fight back. The breaker racking their own is too much ''letting the fox'' in the henhouse.

Winner break matches are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster....while ones racking the others preparing their break and rolling the balls from the upper pockets to you, good use of time.

Was very enjoyable watching Neils at Mandalay, break and run a 6 pack on Orcullo outta the gate

Turning Stone is Winner Breaks from the box, loser racks. There was very little rack checking. I don't know if Zuglan was enforcing that.

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#13)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
Question 08-26-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Zuglanís rules for me are the best of these three. Iíd put the WPA World 10-ball as the worst.

In the end, the rulesets didnít effect the outcome. The best playing players won the respective events.
I was also wondering if any actual matches would have turned out differently, had they been played by one of the other rule sets.

Old
  (#14)
pt109
WO double hemlock

08-26-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled View Post
I was also wondering if any actual matches would have turned out differently, had they been played by one of the other rule sets.
The best player wins if you turned a fire hose on the table...
..and had to shoot odd-numbered balls jacked up one-hand...
...but it would make the game ugly

Lionize your game.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#15)
Low500
AzB Silver Member
Low500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond reputeLow500 has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerman View Post
Yes indeed........!!

"It is almost impossible to free simpletons from the chains they revere."

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: