2015 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting Dr Dave. And nice video shortening also.
Thanks Nick. I just watched your video too (skipping some of the dead time manually, which isn't too difficult) ... lots of good shot making and position play. If you can limit some of the careless mistakes, I'm sure you can put up a much better score.

Good luck,
Dave

PS: I'm done with my work for the day, so I'll give it another go for the next few hours.

Last edited:

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
A pool hall in my area recently imported one of those Chinese 8-ball tables (9' with tight snooker-style pockets) for pros to practice on before traveling to China, so I'll try to get permission to film myself playing the 9-ball ghost on it.
I'll probably get destroyed, but it's going to be fun!

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Finally had some time to film today and took on the 10 ball ghost. Played sloppy and lost 7-6, but came back to tie from 6-2 down, so could have been worse. Table is a 9'GC with 4.75" pockets and the grunting in the background is not me.

Video uploaded! http://youtu.be/He-9Nffp9Dw

I added a running score tally in the upper right-hand corner to make it easier to follow along.

Last edited:

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Finally had some time to film today and took on the 10 ball ghost. Played sloppy and lost 7-6, but came back to tie from 6-2 down, so could have been worse. Table is a 9'GC with 4.75" pockets and the grunting in the background is not me.

Video uploading now (camera angle kind of sucks, whay do you guys do get a higher camera angle?)

7-6 against the 10 Ball ghost is pretty darn strong! You might have to match up with Gerry soon...

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
7-6 against the 10 Ball ghost is pretty darn strong! You might have to match up with Gerry soon...

Thanks, but I think I'm still a long ways from challenging Gerry for the crown, dude doesn't freaking miss! :mad:

Anyway, I've got a year to work on it and I feel like I can play better if I focus and stop thinking about the camera.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... better if I focus and stop thinking about the camera.
The camera actually helps me focus, because the pressure of trying to put up a good score helps me bear down. It helps editing out the dead time between shots (and cursing after missed shots), so I can say whatever I want and take my time without worrying about boring or offending people.

Good luck,
Dave

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Jan 6, 2015
9 Ball Ghost, GC4 9', 5" Pockets
iusedtoberich 1 - Ghost 7

The ghost never misses;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf224hNrITc&feature=youtu.be

Maybe you should try the 6 or 7 ball ghost first and then move on up to 9. Or, just break all 9 and remove a couple after the break, then after consistently beating that ghost race to 7, then move up to all 9 balls. I do like your slow and methodical style of playing though, reminds me of Ralf.

Edit: I think you're capable of doing much better because I've seen your previous scores, maybe you are possibly over thinking the racks or thinking about the camera too much?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe you should try the 6 or 7 ball ghost first and then move on up to 9. Or, just break all 9 and remove a couple after the break, then after consistently beating that ghost race to 7, then move up to all 9 balls. I do like your slow and methodical style of playing though, reminds me of Ralf.

Edit: I think you're capable of doing much better because I've seen your previous scores, maybe you are possibly over thinking the racks or thinking about the camera too much?

Thanks. Thats just my speed. I'm a C+ player, B- on my best days. I've never beaten the ghost, but feel I might steal a set if I play it long enough.

Joe T

Was a nice shot.
No beating Gerry tonight. Just lost 101 59 and I started with two 20's lol Haven't beat this ghost yet!

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Was a nice shot.
No beating Gerry tonight. Just lost 101 59 and I started with two 20's lol Haven't beat this ghost yet!

Hi Joe, did you record it? I'd love to see those back-to-back 20's!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played him 3 sets just now today. 9-Ball Ghost.

Lost:
2-7
3-7
3-7

I don't think I'm going to upload these... more of the same:)