Mental Game

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions and i will check them all out. I ordered the Inner game of Tennis and will now go breathe to my balls! :thumbup:

Inner Game of Tennis helped me a lot! I read Pleasures of Small Motions several times but didn't get a whole lot out of it. It's definitely not for everyone.

PoppaSaun

Banned
Inner Game of Tennis helped me a lot! I read Pleasures of Small Motions several times but didn't get a whole lot out of it. It's definitely not for everyone.

I felt that Pleasure of Small Motions was detrimental. One of his base concepts about humans being more evolved for big, fast movements instead of small, refined, accurate movements is completely off base. Humans have relied equally on both for an extremely long time...it's why we have five times as many fingers as arms.

Pool isn't even a 'small' motion. I move the cue at least eight inches nearly every shot.

One more thing for The Inner Game of Tennis, if anyone has ever said something aloud to himself during competition or practice, then The Inner Game should be useful to that person.

Learn as a child does. Observe that learning like the child's parent does. Don't judge yourself, observe and analyze.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offence but I don't think you understand what the book is really about. That is just the Title. Much more to it than that:groucho:

-Kat,

I felt that Pleasure of Small Motions was detrimental. One of his base concepts about humans being more evolved for big, fast movements instead of small, refined, accurate movements is completely off base. Humans have relied equally on both for an extremely long time...it's why we have five times as many fingers as arms.

Pool isn't even a 'small' motion. I move the cue at least eight inches nearly every shot.

One more thing for The Inner Game of Tennis, if anyone has ever said something aloud to himself during competition or practice, then The Inner Game should be useful to that person.

Learn as a child does. Observe that learning like the child's parent does. Don't judge yourself, observe and analyze.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No offence but I don't think you understand what the book is really about. That is just the Title. Much more to it than that:groucho:

-Kat,

Again, it isn't for everyone. I've known several besides myself who were not at all impressed with it.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many choices

There are many books and videos available showing and explaining how to prepare ones mind for stressful times and events and an important pool game, match or tournament certainly meets this criteria.

It does not have to be specifically about pool as all sports have this stress. When I was training with my departments trainers for firearms instructor school and tactics we spent a lot of time on mental preparation and the effect of stress on our body and all of it gave tools that I apply to pool and other potentially stressful situations.

My favorite for pool is to watch the guys from the Philippines. They know how to loose and bounce back, how to win and keep winning. They know they will win and loose, they know they will make and miss shots, they just push through it and learn from it and come out better for it.

Many guys and I was one of them once, think stress does not effect them, once we admit we are all effected by stress we can learn to manage it better as it effects us all and usually does not manifest it self in a "total break down", but it does effect our performance, especially when we are not aware of it.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who said it was for 'everyone' or a 'must read' ? And I could care less who or who was not impressed. I think it depends where your mind is at and how you interpret the read/author.

Definitely an inexpensive and interesting perspective into the mental/body of our game. Snatch up a used copy on Amazon on the cheap. You can read it in a day or less, but read it again once you are done and you will see and understand it better.

-Late,

Again, it isn't for everyone. I've known several besides myself who were not at all impressed with it.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
I would pay to see someone do the 9:56 in a big tournament.
JoeyA

How about some apps?

Learn how to breath.
http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/breathe2relax
http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/tactical-breather

Here's a CD or Download that teaches you to breath.
http://www.learnoutloud.com/Catalog/Self-Development/Prayer-and-Meditation/Yoga-Breathing/16424

Online:
I do the one at 9:56 to Shark my opponent.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=biFfR2sZGvA
Breath into your balls, like a Boss.
https://youtu.be/FhJbXPvSDKE

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who said it was for 'everyone' or a 'must read' ? And I could care less who or who was not impressed. I think it depends where your mind is at and how you interpret the read/author.

Definitely an inexpensive and interesting perspective into the mental/body of our game. Snatch up a used copy on Amazon on the cheap. You can read it in a day or less, but read it again once you are done and you will see and understand it better.

-Late,

I've read it several times and didn't get anything out of it that I didn't the first time.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read it several times and didn't get anything out of it that I didn't the first time.

I've read books listen to tapes and it's gone in a flash , that's why I sought out a sports shrink and the results were immediate and longer lasting ,, the fact is I found it easier when you can put a face to it somehow it sinks in better ,, few yrs back Ronnie O thanked his in his speech after winning another world title,
Many sports players use one the list is endless reading books listening to tapes and such is simply no more than self medicating , for some stupid reason pool players don't use this valuable asset they assume they can correct things on thier own , truth is they can't or at best it's minimal,
Cost me 300 dollars best money I ever spent in pool bar none