black.

Anyone else have photographic proof?

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a discussion in the "WANTED" forum on whether Lepro tips were ever
black.

I have never seen one, but i do take a marker and color the sides black once they are installed. Been doing that to them and all my other tips for years.

Every LePro I have ever seen was brown.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a discussion in the "WANTED" forum on whether Lepro tips were ever
black.

Depends on what you call black, I guess. I assume you're looking at a standard light/medium brown, like these:

https://manningcues.com/Lepro-Cue-Tips.html

As opposed to the dark brown ones, that are possibly black depending on your eyesight. For reference, these are what I'm talking about here:

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tips-13MM-LePro-Tweeten/dp/B01DR8K13C

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Profess...rIAAOxyxpxQ6LHF:sc:USPSFirstClass!49401!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Profess...qMAAMXQWx1RG6AM:sc:USPSFirstClass!49401!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Le-Pro-Cue...QMAAOxyVaBS4d4~:sc:USPSFirstClass!49401!US!-1

Does this clarify the issue at hand?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photographic proof?

I have LePro tips from the 1980's...they are dark brown. My old "stash" of "good" LePro tips.

I have never seen them black unless someone did that to them.

Poodle of Doom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Photographic proof?

I have LePro tips from the 1980's...they are dark brown. My old "stash" of "good" LePro tips.

I have never seen them black unless someone did that to them.

This is similar to what I was hoping to point out up above. Unless my monitor is off, I noticed some of the ones I found online are dark brown as well. There again, one persons dark brown could be another persons black.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Howdy All;

Just posted this over in the "Other" post in the Wants/looking for section.

"Have a box of Le Pros everyone is Brown. Bought them in Feb. of 1979, so probably made in 1978."

hank

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the picture that was posted in the other thread.

attachment.php

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little biochemistry info guys...

Oxidation darkens tissues...

Age oxidizes.

Wood gets darker...tips get darker.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If you were lucky enough to get a just right LePro in the early to mid-70s, it would appear very dark, maybe black to some, but more likely dark grey, when you finished the top. And they played very good. That generally hasn't been the case since the 70's as LePros have become a regular medium brown veg tan since then. The era is the key. I too, would like to know how they treated some of those early 70s tips, as they were a bit different.

All the best,
WW

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member

Age oxidizes.

The 1987 tips were black when I bought them. Why would I buy another box in
1999 when I still had 1987 tips left?

I'll tell you why. I read (probably in The National Billiard News) that there was a difference between the new browns and the older blacks.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

Age oxidizes.

True, but it doesn't explain the difference of the LePros of the early 70s, compared to now. Even brand new, the early 70s LePros were very dark, scuffed, brand new. Today's LePros, as I said in the earlier post, are medium brown, all of them.

A bit of a mystery, not necessarily explained by age, oxidation, or voodoo. That long ago, it was a different formula. I know nobody wants to go there, but it is the case.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, but it doesn't explain the difference of the LePros of the early 70s, compared to now. Even brand new, the early 70s LePros were very dark, scuffed, brand new. Today's LePros, as I said in the earlier post, are medium brown, all of them.

A bit of a mystery, not necessarily explained by age, oxidation, or voodoo. That long ago, it was a different formula. I know nobody wants to go there, but it is the case.

All the best,
WW

Well, the tips being discussed were bought in 1987.

Not sure what to tell you.

I have a box from that time, and they are brown. I long ago separated out the "good ones" by density, not by color. Basically based on whether they floated or sank in water.

My playing time only goes back to 1986. I have some old tips I have come by but the only black ones like that were Chandivert as far as what I have come across.

Somebody around here had an old tip collection, but I don't remember who. Was it Worminator?

The black tips in the posted pic appear thinner than the brown ones and thinner than the ones I have. They look like Chandivert tips. But the owner says they were bought in that box.

All I can say is that I have not seen black LePro tips.

But if this grows to the magnitude of the legend of pre-flag Master chalk...I may have to take a black Sharpy to some LePro tips. :wink::D

No...I wouldn't do that. Really.

So, anyway, the best I can say on this issue is I don't know. But I am curious.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you when I first was introduced to LePro tips...it was around 1970, or so.

I worked in a pool hall and tipped all the house cues that needed repaired. We used Elk Masters and had several types of old tips in our repair box, but didn't have LePros.

When Alfie Taylor's brother, Jack, came through town, he was using LePro tips and I asked him what kind it was. He told me and gave me one to put on my cue. It was a really dark brown, but not black. The reason I remember that so distinctly, was because it was the first time I'd ever seen anyone use shoe polish to color the tip black after it was installed. Once the tip was installed, finished, and burnished, Jack took out a bottle of liquid black shoe polish and colored they side of my tip, like he did for his tips.

From then until I quit buying and installing LePro tips on cues, I always did it that way, either using shoe polish or a black magic marker.

I used LePro tips for decades and always liked them, up until a dozen or so years ago, when it seems they went to shit. They always had to be cherry-picked to find the good ones, but now it seems the whole box are duds.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are there 'black' le Pro tips?

No... and yes... sorta.

If you care to ask Dr Google search 'Donnie Anderson tips'
as a start.

Dale

Last edited:

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Tips

so I set up the DeLorean and got it all set for 1987 and some how ended up in 1967, hitting 88 MPH in that old beast was a task but I managed to time travel. I stopped by and ordered a southwest cue ( which should show up any day now ), visited with fatty, hit some balls with willie then hitch hiked to Chicago to talk cues with Rambo. After that I caught up with dick helmsetter at his shop and he allowed me to stuff my pockets with all the tips I could tote... getting back to current date is a whole story in its self for another day......
But any way here is a photo of the tips I managed to grab.
I’d be willing to sell one or two of them but it’s gonna cost ya a at least a two story house.

Hope you all enjoy my tails of time travel.

Rob.M

Attachments

• 638EA3D2-0782-4A2F-A2FF-9D18ACB0D32C.jpg
    638EA3D2-0782-4A2F-A2FF-9D18ACB0D32C.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 275
Last edited: