Most memorable shot(s) you ever made

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought it would be fun to reminisce about some shot or shots you've made that you will never forget. I've had a few dandies in my life but the one sequence that stands out was playing at the House of Billiards 9-Ball tournament back in the 80's.

I came to the table and was faced with a kick shot on a ball out in the open. I kicked one rail and made it directly into the side pocket. I now had another kick shot at a second ball near the middle of the table and a couple of diamonds up from the end rail. I kicked that one in the corner pocket SWISH! Hooked again on my next shot with a ball closer to the end rail, maybe a diamond out. Kick, hit and boom that one goes in the corner as well. Yes, I'm hooked once more and laughing about it. My opponent is smiling also. This ball was right near the center of the table and I was once again dead hooked. I fired away and made that one straight in the side pocket. Three balls left and I run out.

What was amazing about that sequence of kicks is that each ball went straight into the pocket, not even touching the rail going in. It was as if I had shot them straight in with no obstruction in between. A couple of guys were watching the match and they thought it was funny that I had to kick every ball. No one made much of a fuss about it, except me of course. I wanted to tell everyone after the match was over (I won) what I had done and no one seemed to care.

How in the world I managed to do that I'll never know. I can't remember another time kicking in two balls in a row like that. ;)

Last edited:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought it would be fun to reminisce about some shot or shots you've made that you will never forget. I've had a few dandies in my life but the one sequence that stands out was playing at the House of Billiards 9-Ball tournament back in the 80's.

I came to the table and was faced with a kick shot on a ball out in the open. I kicked one rail and made it directly into the side pocket. I now had another kick shot at a second ball near the middle of the table and a couple of diamonds up from the end rail. I kicked that one in the corner pocket SWISH! Hooked again on my next shot with a ball closer to the end rail, maybe a diamond out. Kick, hit and boom that one goes in the corner as well. Yes, I'm hooked once more and laughing about it. My opponent is smiling also. This ball was right near the center of the table and I was once again dead hooked. I fired away and made that one straight in the side pocket. Three balls left and I run out.

What was amazing about that sequence of kicks is that each ball went straight into the pocket, not even touching the rail going in. It was as if I had shot them straight in with no obstruction in between. A couple of guys were watching the match and they thought it was funny that I had to kick every ball. No one made much of a fuss about it, except me of course. I wanted to tell everyone after the match was over (I won) what I had done and no one seemed to care.

How in the world I managed to do that I'll never know. I can't remember another time kicking in two balls in a row like that. ;)
"JUST LAST WEEK.....
Playing golf 5x10 VERY TIGHT POCKETS SNOOKER TABLE-We use standard pool balls too:(
My ball tight against side rail-approx. 2 inches away from the 3 hole-my hole-cue ball approx. 4 feet away towards head rail about 4 inches off of same side rail as my ball-
"I cross-banked my ball to other side of the table-PAST THE OPPOSITE SIDE POCKET AND MY BALL REVERSED-Went right into the side hole I was shooting for- ALA EFREN :)

Speedie

Registered
Mine was last week in a tournament. Standing at the foot of the table, the 1 ball was near the top left pocket almost frozen to the side rail. Just in front of it was another ball with perhaps 2 balls' width between it and the rail. Cueball was about 1 diamond up from the foot of the table, close to central left-to-right, and I was hooked fairly close behind another ball.

A kick was out as there were balls in the way of the two natural options. I decided to try for a masse shot more out of hope than anything, and we called a neutral player over to observe just in case.

Whitey swerved around the ball that I was hooked behind, straightened up, and hugged the rail right through the gap to hit the 1 ball clean as a whistle. Several people who were watching shouted "Holy f*@k!!".

You could set that shot up 100 times and I wouldn't come close to making it again :rotflmao:

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Who do you think you are, Nick Varner???

One of my most memorable shots was a jump shot on the 1 ball right after the break. This was at a room called Oliver's in Louisville, back around 1992. The cueball was nearly frozen to the end rail, and the 1 was about three diamonds out from the corner pocket, slightly off angle. I made the 1 and drew back for shape on the 2 and ran out from there.

The shot was definitely difficult, but not outrageously so. What made it so memorable was that I was playing for $200 a game, which is the most I ever played for per game. I happened to play perfect for three games (this was the third game), and the guy I was playing quit after that runout. I won $600 in less than 20 minutes.

JC

Coos Cues
Was playing a game of 8 ball on a valley bar box and shot a three ball combination stripe-solid-stripe. The called ball wasn't a hanger, it was a couple of inches out from the pocket. The other balls were a few inches from it and each other. Was trying to move the solid out of there and maintain shape on the first stripe I hit with the cue ball. It was a solid low ball hit.

All three object balls went in one right after the next without contacting each other again after the initial hit.

I have never seen that happen before or since. Obviously that wasn't my intention, it just happened.

nibrobus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My most memorable shot(s) was a runout I had against one of the best players in my area.

It was the biggest tournament of the year where I play, had about 40 players with added money. This is a small bar with only 4 beat up Valleys so it was going to take all day. My first match I draw probably the best player in the room and a favorite to win the tourney. Tournament was handicapped so I had to win 4 to his 5. We're playing on the first table nearest the door so just about the whole room was watching our match.

I win the coin toss and break first, making a ball. Table is tough but I decide to try for the runout. During the course of my run, I had to make a masse, a kick, and a super thin shot just to get hooked on my key ball before the 8. The crowd was already going nuts because I was on my way to a miracle out when I got hooked (again). Key ball is in the middle of the kitchen with my opponent's ball in front of it, 8 ball is 6 inches from the corner pocket, and my cue ball hooked by half a ball near the side rail by the spot.

I call my last object ball in the opposite corner and go for the full table masse. I manage to get by the impeding ball and JUST hit the edge of my last object ball (the only part of the ball that was exposed due to my opponent's ball in front of it). It slows rolls into the corner I called, and the cue ball goes 3 rails out to get straight in on the 8. The whole crowd goes nuts and my hand is shaking as I fire the 8 ball in.

One of the biggest rushes I've gotten playing pool since the crowd was full of great players and their respect meant a lot to me. I went on to play some of the best pool of my life for the rest of the set, breaking and running all the games I had the break (alternate break format) and winning.

Every now and then, the player I was up against will see me and bring up that game. He said that it was one of the sickest outs he's ever seen, and was actually excited to be a part of it even though it was against him. He said the crowd reaction was awesome and one of the coolest experiences he's had playing pool too.

atlas333

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best shot was last year as SBE

I am not a good pool player by AZB standards but...
Last year I played in the 50+ at SBE and this was my first real tournament ever. I had an object ball about 12" up the long rail from the corner pocket and was directly hooked on the opposite side of the table below the side pocket. I set up for a masse and hit it perfectly down the rail into the pocket like it was easy!! Loved that shot!

Tjteeple

Registered
Just had mine this last weekend. 8 ball weekly tourney on 7ft Valley tables. I'm down to my last ball before the 8, https://pad.chalkysticks.com/a7ec0.png. I'm stripes. The only thing I see is a jump-bank, basically landing on the 9 ball since it's that close to the 6 and there's not a lot of room before/after. I hit it perfectly. As I'm going to switch to my playing cue, one of the guys watching, who happens to be probably top 5 in the state, says "You might wanna keep that out". I turn around and see I'm behind the 7 now, with a cut shot into the corner. I chalk up and center pocket the 8 for the win and moved onto to the next round. Number of jump shots made before that night during an actual match: 0.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Was playing a game of 8 ball on a valley bar box and shot a three ball combination stripe-solid-stripe. The called ball wasn't a hanger, it was a couple of inches out from the pocket. The other balls were a few inches from it and each other. Was trying to move the solid out of there and maintain shape on the first stripe I hit with the cue ball. It was a solid low ball hit.

All three object balls went in one right after the next without contacting each other again after the initial hit.

I have never seen that happen before or since. Obviously that wasn't my intention, it just happened.

So my shot was a few weeks ago playing one pocket. Similar to yours but not good overall lol. I played a 3 ball combo trying to leave 2 balls close to the pocket without obstructing each other. Somehow all 3 crept their way in and left me high and dry. I’d never seen anything like it.

Another memorable shot was during a friendly family 8 ball game. 8’ table. The way things worked out I had to play a serious draw shot to get on the 8. I had 1 random straggler up table. I ended up straight in on the straggler, probably 7’ away but I had to shoot between 2 balls probably less than 3” apart about halfway to the OB, slightly jacked up. I fired the CB through the window, made the ball, and drew straight back through the window to get perfect on the 8. It doesn’t sound quite as impressive typing it out lol but it was sick. I had to basically lay on the bottom rail to make the 8. I did this against someone who couldn’t have gotten out if I fouled that shot on purpose to make 3 of their balls lol.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In a WPBA tournament, Bonnie Hoffman had me in jail near the bottom right hand pocket. Plus, she was on the hill and had me on two fouls. The one ball was by the bottom left hand pocket and I had no way to get to it. I remembered a shot Willie Mosconi used to do where he called the cue ball in the side pocket where hit the cue ball into the rail, made it pop up, fly across the table and then he caught it in his side pants pocket.

I figured, what the heck, I have nothing to lose. I took a guess on the cue stick angle of attack, shot the cue ball hard into the side rail and it popped up 3 feet into the air, flew back over the obstructing balls and landed on top of the 1 ball for a good hit.

Unfortunately for me, it left Bonnie with an easy shot on the 1 and she ran out the rack for the win, but I did get a standing ovation from the crowd for the shot, including from my opponent, which I thought was very cool of her to do.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Kicked 3 rails at the 8 in a bar tournament years ago. The 8 was about 2 or 3 inches from the pocket with a couple of striped balls within a few inches of it. Before I shot, handful of locals gathered by the pocket to make sure the cb didn't touch a "fourth" rail before hitting the 8 (it was a full-blooded redneck bar).

My opponent had quite a few balls scattered over the table but the 3 railer path was there. I just had to make sure the cb didn't hit a fourth rail or glace off one of those stripes first. I shot just soft enough so that if the cb were to hit an additional rail or another ball it would hopefully not hit the 8 firm enough to pocket it. The cb went 3 rails and rolled right up between the blocking balls and touched the 8, rolling it about an inch closer to the pocket.

There was no ball in hand rule -- old school bar room rules applied. I had left the guy tough, tree-topped over the 8. He missed and hooked me again, leaving another 3 rail shot, but the angle into the first long rail was off, so I had to tweak it with spin. I shot soft again, and again the cb went around 3 rails and hit the 8 flush, just hard enough to roll it over into the pocket.

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dead frozen combo (just needed to throw it a little) on the 9 to win the set.

DOGGED IT!:banghead:

That was probably almost 40 years ago.....

td

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Dead frozen combo (just needed to throw it a little) on the 9 to win the set.

DOGGED IT!:banghead:

That was probably almost 40 years ago.....

td
I was playing Gypsy for the Championship at Comet Billiards it was Hill Hill.
I brake & run to the 8 . The 8&9 were so easy if I feel over I could still make um.
I missed the 8 ,I still laugh everytime I think of it!

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
snooker

I was practicing on a snooker table. Started a run from the safe break I would normally be facing and started shooting reds and sevens. I ran out of red balls and started shooting the "drill" the end pattern. About the time I lined up on the three I remembered that I had shot all reds and sevens, a perfect was possible.

A perfect even in practice meant a lot to me. My heart started pounding! I pocketed the three, pocketed the four, but I rolled past shape on the five by about four inches. Easy to pocket but I had to choose between coming off the head rail and back to the six or a lot of low inside to hold on the six. Normally it was a no brainer, come off the head rail. However the heart was still pounding and I wasn't comfortable about speed control after just blowing it on the last shot.

After a minute's thought I decided to use low left. I dug just as deep as I could with the pool cue I was using, playing off the wall. The five ball drilled the side pocket dead center ninety miles an hour, the cue ball hit the rail and reversed for perfect shape on the six. I even had just a bit of angle to roll down to the seven. Duck season just opened up! I walked around the table and got down on the cue ball. That is when I noticed some blue out of the corner of my eye. There was the five, popped out after hitting the bottom of the pocket! Closest I came to a 147. It has only been forty years, I still remember that decision and that shot well!

Edit: That was the only shot that ever came out of those deep leather pockets on that table while I played on it. Curses, foiled again!

Hu

Last edited:

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
I got three... One was at DCC this year, playing One Pocket against Scott Frost.He tried to get me safe behind a ball on my side, and did not quite get there. He let me see a ball about a diamond up the long rail from his pocket. I banked it into the balls kind of clustered along the top rail, and I put some zip on it with a hair above center to stun the cue ball behind a ball to cover all the balls I was about to leave in front of my pocket.

I hit the cue ball pretty darn good, but the ball I banked, ended up hitting a ball, then DRIVING THROUGH something like 4 balls to be the ball that fell in my pocket. I didn't win the game, but I ran six from there and sure woke Scott up!

The next was about 20 years ago in Tacoma. I was playing the owner of my home pool hall some One Pocket. A single ball had somehow made it's way to the top rail, with the stack mostly intact, with the front ball missing, and the other two balls behind it in their normal frozen position. I banked the ball off the top rail so smooth at pocket speed..... And drew the CB all the way back to freeze in between those front two balls. The bank did not wobble and sit up.. it crawled up to the pocket edge off the bank. So basically, on the bank, the draw shot came off with more speed than the actual bank. I used to really work on my stroke. The owner had no clue about One Pocket, and attempted to follow through the rack to pocket my ball, lol.

Third one, same time frame. Playing a pimp out of Chicago who had been barking at me to play One Pocket, before I had ever played a game. I credit that fellow for me taking up the game. We settled on last pocket 8 ball on the 9 footer. He supposed I was young and dumb, and he could outthink me. Only.. I had taken a month of leave from the military, and played no less than 12 hours a day for that entire month. I was in such dead stroke, and playing such good last pocket patterns, the guy started rolling the cue ball into the 1 ball on the break to slow me down.

The last game, he did that, and the cue ball slid sideways a few inches, and left the corner ball dead straight into the corner No angle whatsoever. And this was the only pottable ball from any position on the table. All 14 of the other balls were in the cluster. This guy had been woofing so much about One Pocket, I ended up buying both "Winning One Pocket", and "Shots, Moves, and Strategies" in Seattle, to study the game. One of the shots in those books is Bucktooth telling how the same basic shot came up for him, and he jumped the CB to land on the ball he could see straight in.. I figured "Why not? He won't get out with this clusterf*ck even if I miss."

I did not miss. Ball wobbled in the right side of the pocket, the CB had landed almost dead on top of the OB... Bounced about 3 feet in the air, coming down in the middle of the pack, burrowing it's way into the stack. I then had a single thin shot jn the side, and had to nick and push a few balls out of the stack, before I got the chance to break them up. I got ALL the way out with a single ball dead straight in, and a 14 ball cluster.

The bet had gotten up to $60.00 a game, and he paid off, and quit me. Some people got no heart, lol..... 🤣

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
no big story to go with but
my friend and I often end our seshs by banking the last ball
tonight the eight was tied up behind his solid on the long rail
from the top, I hit a sweet kick-bank-carom to put the eight in the side
went in nice too..felt good

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
no big story to go with but
my friend and I often end our seshs by banking the last ball
tonight the eight was tied up behind his solid on the long rail
from the top, I hit a sweet kick-bank-carom to put the eight in the side
went in nice too..felt good

I know that feeling! When you make that triple tough shot that no one has to make. Very cool!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My most memorable shot was from an exhibition game against Willie Mosconi. The shot is pictured below. I was shooting at the 9-ball that needed to go in the opposite side pocket on a fairly tight table. The cue ball was wired to scratch in the corner pocket meaning that I needed to elevate the back of my cue to put some back spin on it. The table was crowded with observers and local cable TV was covering the event. I was a bit distracted until Willie tried to rattle me by chattering in my ear while I was getting ready to shoot. “That’s a scratch shot, watch it, call you pocket” over and over. It was all I needed to focus and make the ball. I have a copy of the videotape. Un fortunately, he did not record me shooting the last shot. But the tape has one frame where the ball placement can be seen.

Attachments

• CallYourPocket.jpg
    CallYourPocket.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 151
Last edited: