Butt wood split

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without naming the brand, the following happened to my cue and was wondering if anyone else has experienced or even has a rational explanation:

I bought this cue less than a month ago, played at most 3 times with it and not long sessions either. When not playing, I break it down and store it upright in my cue case. Last night, I take it out at the pool hall and the butt cap had come off and the butt itself had split, with a length of a few inches starting from the bottom of the butt...

Any thoughts?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Without naming the brand, the following happened to my cue and was wondering if anyone else has experienced or even has a rational explanation:

I bought this cue less than a month ago, played at most 3 times with it and not long sessions either. When not playing, I break it down and store it upright in my cue case. Last night, I take it out at the pool hall and the butt cap had come off and the butt itself had split, with a length of a few inches starting from the bottom of the butt...

Any thoughts?
Rare but can happen. Wood is a natural material. If moisture content was just right and there was a void down in the grain it could split. Seen it happen a few yrs ago on a inexpensive import cue. Never seen it happen on higher-end stuff.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Butt cap coming off and the wood split sure sounds like some
type of impact happened, with out you knowing about it.. are
there kids in the house? :rolleyes:

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you post a picture of your butt crack?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
And people say that AZB isn’t as popular as it once was....
I predict an upsurge as the new web-cam feature comes online 😜😜😜

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Butt cap coming off and the wood split sure sounds like some type of impact happened, without you knowing about it.. are
there kids in the house? :rolleyes:
And do you have an apple tree in the yard from which the kids could knock ripe fruit if they had a long enough stick? :eek:

If the cue had been seriously mistreated it likely has some scars. Any of those?

Pictures?

Are you in the habit of thumping your cue on the floor for a good shot (or in anger)? I managed to damage a cue that way with a pretty light thump. I think the butt cap may have had a crack and the inside pressure from the rubber bumper being compressed split it.

But it's really surprising that the wood is split.

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had something kinda like that mine was a feral split. Ingot a hold of the builder showed him what happened and he fixed the problem. Short story give the guy a chance anything could have happened. High altudue transport, drastic change in weather climate due to location. Or straight up abuse anything's posable.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I've seen it happen on a very fancy ebony cue.
The ebony buttsleeve just split.
A friend had it hanging on his wall. He lives in an area where it can be very dry sometimes.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Any thoughts?

Gorilla tape. :eek:

pocketsplitter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
weight bolt was straight from factory - didn't mistreat it at all. I've let my shaft drop on the table every now and then when i miss an easy shot but i was still in the honeymoon stage with this cue so i would never have done even that - and buttspliter is the post of the year contender

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
weight bolt was straight from factory - didn't mistreat it at all. I've let my shaft drop on the table every now and then when i miss an easy shot but i was still in the honeymoon stage with this cue so i would never have done even that - and buttspliter is the post of the year contender

My favorite part of this thread so far is......

Wait for it.

NO PICTURES YET.
Great thread.......NOT!

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah Mike is right. Without pictures it is going to be hard for anyone to give you a correct educated opinion on the issue.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you post a picture of your butt crack?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sSVMO8B.gif

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just don't want to give away any brand names. in case its a random occurrence I don't want to taint their reputation.
BS. Random or not it should be public. What's the point of a having a pool-player-based forum if this stuff is withheld?? I don't care if the last name is Balaszamrundebushka or Pissant Production,Inc.