Interesting shots from 2009 China Open Final Thorsten Hohmann vs Niels Feijen

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Match videos: 2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Semi-Final Lu Hui Chan Vs Thorsten Hohmann

Here is a great shot from game 3 (2:20 of the second video). Thorsten has shown some great speed control here
heart.gif

CueTable Help

Other Match Videos from the Tournament:

2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Semi-Final Lu Hui Chan Vs Thorsten Hohmann
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Karen Corr Vs Kelly Fisher
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open SF Fu Xiao Fang Vs Tsai Pei Chen
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Pan Xiao Ting Vs Lin Yuan Chun
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Zhang Shu Chun Vs Ralf Souquet
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Yang Ching Shun Vs Marlon Manalo
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Han Yu Vs Sarah Rousey
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Fu Jian Bo Vs Mika Immonen
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Kim Ga Young Vs Vivian Villarreal
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Chen Sih Ming Vs Estelle Bijnen
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Jeanette Lee Vs Chang Shu Han
2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Pan Xiao Ting Vs Véronique Ménard

More layouts to come... Please draw any interesting shots from any of the videos and make them into interesting discussions so everyone can enjoy and maybe discover new ideas :)

Last edited:

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for the illustration and the video clips, WEI!!! I can't thank you enough for the cuetable tool and website you've created.

stuckart

Paint Dry Watching Champ
Silver Member
Match videos: 2009 World Pool 9-Ball China Open Semi-Final Lu Hui Chan Vs Thorsten Hohmann

Here is a great shot from game 3 (2:20 of the second video). Thorsten has shown some great speed control here
heart.gif

CueTable Help

He must have been in the zone to give that shot a go. Personally, I'd aim the 3 to the left side of the corner, Hit the cueball with some inside to throw it back to the middle and run head on into the 9 ball. Then you have an easy out. Too many things could go wrong with his shot.

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
Wow, thanks for the illustration and the video clips, WEI!!! I can't thank you enough for the cuetable tool and website you've created.

Hi Brad,
Thank you very much for the kind words. We sure love pool and we try hard in doing small parts in bring new visuals to our sport. Without going off on long theory discussion (which you can find in our mission statement page), I just want to say people are more important than technologies. The future is really up to how all fans share information and build morales together.

Believe me, it is fun to draw diagrams from the videos. I am constantly learning new things by converting my visual perception of the video into actual drawings, which I can take time studying over and over again. Now I only have to go to good instructors to help me with mechanics so I can perform maybe 1/4 of what the pro did... okay 1/8 :rolleyes:.

I want to invite everyone to watch all sorts of pool and billiard related videos (estimate 3,000-4,000) at the Pool Video Screen Room, including some really odd ones. More importantly, I want to encourage everyone to draw diagrams from what you have seen. Not only it will help people at any skill level, but it will also help you!

Okay, back to drawing board now... :)

cuetable

Line Up Your Best Shot!
Silver Member
In beginning of the final game (6:20 of the fifth video), Niels played an almost perfect safety (page 1 of the diagram). However, Thorsten was very fortunate to be able to shoot the one through the narrow gap (page 2)

CueTable Help

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
too cool what you've done here wei. I loled at Thorsten's window off of Neil's safety. Too many times I have done that. When my opponent leaves me the gap I just say "are you kidding? I could drive a truck through there." When they get the window, I just laugh... it happens sometimes even when you play the correct shot with seemingly perfect speed.

Stuckart: you may be right. I dunno. You'd have to be VERY unlucky to scratch in the side, but hitting the nipple was certainly possible.

I'm not sure if running into the 9 and stopping was possible. It looks like you're only going to hit the edge of the 9, even if you cheat the pocket and use inside. Then the CB runs away from the 4.

My first instinct on this shot is low outside, going sideways to the long rail and then back across. The 6 blocks that, and it's wishful thinking to have the CB stun above the six and then spin off the rail to pass below it.

So I think maybe I'd have just stunned sideways and run into the 6. But you need just the right amount of draw to run directly into that ball. If you hit above it you go further from the 5. If you hit below it, you leave yourself a sharper cut. Running directly into it is the best you can hope for.

I like toasti's gamble here. He's not a reckless player so I think he just saw the shot clearly in his head and knew he could execute it. Maybe it's not as wild as we think. I'll sit down and try it sometime.