• No, 60 to 70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, 70+

Votes: 1 2.8%

• Total voters

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Probably will turn out to be age related. I'm 70+, a long time car guy. Love a nice engine coupled to other good mechanical bits. But when it comes to car dashes?
Just give me a layout with easily read gauges. Tach, speedo with odo, oil pressure, temp, fuel level, volts....ideally round, black face, white indicators, like the old Stewart Warner stuff.

Was thinking of the new '19 Bullitt Mustang. Love it's mechanicals, 480 horsepower, 6 speed manual, torsen rear end, etc. But I hate the star trek dash with all it's gee whiz features and TV screen. Enough so that although I could write the check, I won't. Will be sticking with my old, slow, and obsolete by Mustang standards, '09 Bullitt.

Maybe all the new "gee whiz" cue stuff with carbon fiber, electronic gadgets, etc. sell well to the younger set.

To me, this proves that cue and equipment manufacturers are like car makers...they know their demographics, They need to.

But please...is it okay if I keep playing with my Josey titlist styled cue with it's old fashioned 4 needle sharp and even points and a nice solid maple shaft?

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably will turn out to be age related. I'm 70+, a long time car guy. Love a nice engine coupled to other good mechanical bits. But when it comes to car dashes?
Just give me a layout with easily read gauges. Tach, speedo with odo, oil pressure, temp, fuel level, volts....ideally round, black face, white indicators, like the old Stewart Warner stuff.

Was thinking of the new '19 Bullitt Mustang. Love it's mechanicals, 480 horsepower, 6 speed manual, torsen rear end, etc. But I hate the star trek dash with all it's gee whiz features and TV screen. Enough so that although I could write the check, I won't. Will be sticking with my old, slow, and obsolete by Mustang standards, '09 Bullitt.

Maybe all the new "gee whiz" cue stuff with carbon fiber, electronic gadgets, etc. sell well to the younger set.

To me, this proves that cue and equipment manufacturers are like car makers...they know their demographics, They need to.

But please...is it okay if I keep playing with my Josey titlist styled cue with it's old fashioned 4 needle sharp and even points and a nice solid maple shaft?

Generational changes are not only still changing, but accelerating

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What excatly are you talking about be more specific

Ditto this. Technology for technologies sake or just to sell s^*t are things i could do without. If it actually improves one's game or the sport as a whole then yes, i'm for it. So i guess that makes me a "maybe". I'm 58 btw.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
We use slo-mo instead of refs a lot. Video never lies and almost never gets it wrong ;)

-td

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Ditto this. Technology for technologies sake or just to sell s^*t are things i could do without. If it actually improves one's game or the sport as a whole then yes, i'm for it. So i guess that makes me a "maybe". I'm 58 btw.

This I tend to agree with. As I watch old matches on youtube of Earl, Efren, and others when in their prime, I wonder how they could play so well without carbon fiber, gloves, etc. I then wonder how much is really technology and how much is marketing hype....

megatron69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we don't have anything specific to go on, I'm assuming a bit here, but i voted "no."

Using the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc, as examples, I don't like replay. Principally, it slows the game down, disrupting the flow of the game. And usually replay isn't transparent; we never have the opportunity to know why and how the officials came to their decisions, we just get their rulings. And when they get the call wrong anyway the frustration factor goes through the roof.

And the reality is that most of the time the officials get the call right the first time. Yes, occasionally they get it wrong, but statistically they usually get it right. Personally, I'd rather live with the fact of human fallibility on occasion rather than have to deal with the added dead time and the inconsistency of replay.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
nope

i dig things that dont require electricity that i can enjoy if it all goes to poop

wood carving
billiards
etcs

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally depends what you are talking about:

Technology I embrace:
Streaming
Break Speed Radars
Video Instruction
Internet - Forums, Sales, Promotion, Live Scoring, Results, Facebook

Technology I don't embrace:
Digicue
Laser Aiming Mechanisms

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This I tend to agree with. As I watch old matches on youtube of Earl, Efren, and others when in their prime, I wonder how they could play so well without carbon fiber, gloves, etc. I then wonder how much is really technology and how much is marketing hype....

I talked to Ralf Soquet about his thoughts on the players from different eras. He said the modern players are better technically and in shot making, better overall players.

You can play well with anything you are used to and can make balls with, the LD shafts and newer equipment just makes it easier and allows more more things that can be done on the table (such as more action with slicker cloth and more precise rails and ball sets. Not to mention the better racks given now which allow for better runs and spreads of balls.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since we don't have anything specific to go on, I'm assuming a bit here, but i voted "no."

Using the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc, as examples, I don't like replay. Principally, it slows the game down, disrupting the flow of the game. And usually replay isn't transparent; we never have the opportunity to know why and how the officials came to their decisions, we just get their rulings. And when they get the call wrong anyway the frustration factor goes through the roof.

And the reality is that most of the time the officials get the call right the first time. Yes, occasionally they get it wrong, but statistically they usually get it right. Personally, I'd rather live with the fact of human fallibility on occasion rather than have to deal with the added dead time and the inconsistency of replay.

I think technology via instant replay has its place in sports. Do I want to see it used on every play, of course not, but do I ever want to see this again....a play that would have taken 7 seconds to review.....of course not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlDTBDJbNE4

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
For the most part I'm for Technology in most fields of life. I'm an early adopter of most gadgets and gizmos.

That being said, I don't really approve of it in traditional sports. Slow motion replay can be ok, when there is no referee present. If there is a referee, then I'm sceptical. I wouldn't want Electronic rails, balls or cues in pool. Neither would I want some sort of racking electro-magnet. I prefer it to be simple. I play pool when I need a break from computers.

Meucciplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 59 but I do like electronics. I do like the Digicue - as a training aid, not in real games. I think people should have a choice to buy what they want. I don't think that electronics should be part of the game in the sense of automatically racking balls and the like. The game should stay like it is. The only exception is video replay if no ref is present. In soccer, many games have been won/lost due to bad decisions. There is a reason they're changing that now. Many years after football discovered this.

I generally don't play cheaters but you never know when you play someone you haven't met before. Nothing more frustrating than people who can't admit their own obvious fouls. Including the discussions following those.

And then there are my own questionable shots where I can't tell for sure if I fouled or not. I'd love to know what is right and not be left at the mercy of the opponent or be awarded for something that might be my own foul due to my opponent being overly gracious.

Since almost everyone carries smartphones nowadays I would not mind them being used for such a purpose in real tournaments.

How often do tricky calls come up in a match? Not at all - once, twice? I would guess the average is less than once. I don't have a problem wasting 30 seconds or a little more when this rare situation comes up.