Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... .

emphasis added (about the influence)

Am I reading this wrong ? Pretty funny.
A good referee will take all sorts of things into account, perhaps even including the tattoos and size of the player's backer. One of the goals of refereeing is to get everyone out of the game without loss of blood.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
I was playing in my own straight pool match a few tables down from each of these matches this day. I only heard the son say a few things, but wasn't sure what was going on in your match, Jim. I recall he said out loud he was "flustered" (or something like that) because of something that had happened. I assumed it was about that shot now.

Mike, I had no idea this was going on during your match! This may sound silly, but I'm impressed you didn't ***** to me about the incident. We talked for a while after my match concluded and you could have easily shared your frustration, but you didn't bad mouth him at all. Most people would chomp at the bit to whine and make fun of other players and their antics.

Instead, I can tell you gave the incident some serious thought and then decided to post about it for feedback and sharing.

I could learn a lesson from this about keeping my thoughts to myself right after "situations".

9BallJim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was playing in my own straight pool match a few tables down from each of these matches this day. I only heard the son say a few things, but wasn't sure what was going on in your match, Jim. I recall he said out loud he was "flustered" (or something like that) because of something that had happened. I assumed it was about that shot now.

Mike, I had no idea this was going on during your match! This may sound silly, but I'm impressed you didn't ***** to me about the incident. We talked for a while after my match concluded and you could have easily shared your frustration, but you didn't bad mouth him at all. Most people would chomp at the bit to whine and make fun of other players and their antics.

Instead, I can tell you gave the incident some serious thought and then decided to post about it for feedback and sharing.

I could learn a lesson from this about keeping my thoughts to myself right after "situations".

Actually, my situation wasn't controversial at all. I just mentioned to him that it was an unsportsmanlike penalty and without a ref or prior experience with this type of foul that we should just treat it as a 1-point foul. I think he was flustered over his poor play. He hasn't been shooting to his ability the last two times I played him. He apologized a couple times for the shot and I had no problem with it at all. I was just merely informing him that it wasn't a standard foul.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Can't let them get away with this stuff

Well, here is another situation to write about..... you will not believe this one

This weekend was the end of season single 8-ball tournament that the league always has. My first match was against the son of the guy who I have written about in this Thread (the rack guy). Anyways, it was a race to 5. I had him down 3 to 2. I had run all my balls and I had a clear shot on the 8 ball in the side pocket. The cue ball was on the rail at the center diamond of the long rail & the 8 ball was a little up from the cue ball in the center of the table. I was down on my shot just about to shoot, this guy yells out and I mean yells. "You have to call the pocket". I thought for a second that he is joking around. I did not stand up but from a down position I looked over at him. He continued to yell that "you need to call the pocket" As I looked back at the ball, his yelling became louder and between looking at him few times & the 8 ball. I missed it. I couldn't believe what had just took place. How low can a person be but in his case... pretty low. Turned out he couldn't even run out his balls, missing a shot and giving me a shot on the 8 ball which I yelled out very loudly "8 ball in the corner pocket" I won the match 5 to 2. Many players who witnesses this BS came up to me and told me what a a-hole this guy is for pulling that. I agree.

On the good note I won all my matches, beating some respectable players (guys that go from tour. to tour.) AND.... then I had to go up against Jeremy Jones...... he quickly took care of me. Right to the loser side. On a side note: Jeremy never called out or pointed to any pocket that he was shooting the 8 ball in. I wonder if this a-hole would of pulled this with Jeremy...... I know the answer to that. Won my next two matches & lost a good close match to a good player. Finished in the money. These are the people that give our Sport a bad name. I am so sick of these type of players.

Last edited:

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Could be worse

You guys could still be team mates :eek:

Sorry to hear that. He must have issues. Glad you put him away !

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member
Well, here is another situation to write about..... you will not believe this one

This weekend was the end of season single 8-ball tournament that the league always has. My first match was against the son of the guy who I have written about in this Thread (the rack guy). Anyways, it was a race to 5. I had him down 3 to 2. I had run all my balls and I had a clear shot on the 8 ball in the side pocket. The cue ball was on the rail at the center diamond of the long rail & the 8 ball was a little up from the cue ball in the center of the table. I was down on my shot just about to shoot, this guy yells out and I mean yells. "You have to call the pocket". I thought for a second that he is joking around. I did not stand up but from a down position I looked over at him. He continued to yell that "you need to call the pocket" As I looked back at the ball, his yelling became louder and between looking at him few times & the 8 ball. I missed it. I couldn't believe what had just took place. How low can a person be but in his case... pretty low. Turned out he couldn't even run out his balls, missing a shot and giving me a shot on the 8 ball which I yelled out very loudly "8 ball in the corner pocket" I won the match 5 to 2. Many players who witnesses this BS came up to me and told me what a a-hole this guy is for pulling that. I agree.

On the good note I won all my matches, beating some respectable players (guys that go from tour. to tour.) AND.... then I had to go up against Jeremy Jones...... he quickly took care of me. Right to the loser side. On a side note: Jeremy never called out or pointed to any pocket that he was shooting the 8 ball in. I wonder if this a-hole would of pulled this with Jeremy...... I know the answer to that. Won my next two matches & lost a good close match to a good player. Finished in the money. These are the people that give our Sport a bad name. I am so sick of these type of players.

Wow. I wonder why he did that?

Congrat's on placing so well!!

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Never ending story........

Well, tonight was 9 ball league night. The jerk who did all the yelling that I had wrote about was there on the other side of the room having a match against another team. I was playing against a guy and was standing near the match table b/c there were no seats. Suddenly this jerk comes from across the room and was in my face. He stated that "we need to clear some stuff up about that match we had." He then went on to state: "I told you way before you got to the table that you have to call the 8 ball" This guy lies so much, he would not tell the truth even if the truth was in his favor & would keep him out of trouble. I looked right into his eyes & told him that he was a lie-er & his whole game is based on sharking. With that we exchanged a few very loud heated curse words and so on, and so on.... finally the jerk walked away. One time he was on my team and was voted off b/c of his drinking. So I have many other situations with him. I do believe he does not like authority figures..... talking about sausage.... this guy has to be related to nuts-so sausage. They are so much alike. Again he picks a time when I am playing a match to come over & start something. He had plenty of time to do so before the matches stated at 8pm.
Once again these type of people give the Sport a bad name. It is pretty bad when a person (myself) goes out one night a week only to play a league match and has to have BS come my way. It is really getting to be Old News.

Last edited:

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, tonight was 9 ball league night. The jerk who did all the yelling that I had wrote about was there on the other side of the room having a match against another team. I was playing against a guy and was standing near the match table b/c there were no seats. Suddenly this jerk comes from across the room and was in my face. He stated that "we need to clear some stuff up about that match we had." He then went on to state: "I told you way before you got to the table that you have to call the 8 ball" This guy lies so much, he would not tell the truth even if the truth was in his favor & would keep him out of trouble. I looked right into his eyes & told him that he was a lie-er & his whole game is based on sharking. With that we exchanged a few very loud heated curse words and so on, and so on.... finally the jerk walked away. One time he was on my team and was voted off b/c of his drinking. So I have many other situations with him. I do believe he does not like authority figures..... talking about sausage.... this guy has to be related to nuts-so sausage. They are so much alike. Again he picks a time when I am playing a match to come over & start something. He had plenty of time to do so before the matches stated at 8pm.
Once again these type of people give the Sport a bad name. It is pretty bad when a person (myself) goes out one night a week only to play a league match and has to have BS come my way. It is really getting to be Old News.

This guy must be so jealous of you it is incredible.

He can't control himself.

It must eat him up inside so much that you are a very good player and a humanitarian, at the same time. A rare combination for any pool player these days.

Best bet is to just put him a sleeper hold before he even opens his mouth next time. You can do it.

akaTrigger

Hi!
Silver Member

I continue to be amazed.... :(

Sucks you have to deal with issues like this on your one night out. :mad:

Samiel

Sea Player
Silver Member
Sorry to hear that Mike. I know both guys and I think they are really good at heart. I just think that they have overly competitive natures maybe? In matches, I can see they are not themselves and beat themselves (and sometimes others) around. Afterwards, they eventually calm down and get back to normal.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Right On

This guy must be so jealous of you it is incredible.

He can't control himself.

It must eat him up inside so much that you are a very good player and a humanitarian, at the same time. A rare combination for any pool player these days.

You "Hit the nail right on the head" Your statement sums it all up. Thanks.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
Wow - this league doesn't sound like fun. I'd prob blow a gasket playing people like that. I agree w/ Bob-- if you start assessing 15 point penalties, people will miraculously learn how to play right.