Help me decide on a table size

RobD928

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, I'm ready to buy a new table, it's going to be a Diamond my problem is I'm not sure what size to get.

I have plenty of room for a 9ft, but play league on both 7 and 9ft tables.

My thinking is to get and 8ft so the switch between the 7 and 9 isn't that drastic.

I prefer playing on a 9ft but most league tournaments are on 7 footers.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Jonas111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally would never own an 8' table. Nothing is played on a 8'. 8' tables are for people who do not compete. Just my opinion.

I struggle with this same issue. I am buying a diamond as well and I just ordered a seven footer. I would prefer a nine footer but league is played on a seven and in my area all the tournaments are mainly seven.

Second part is I want my kids to get into pool eventually and my thoughts are the seven foot will not discourage them from playing.

Thirdly I personally think eight ball on a seven foot table is an art form. I have played with some of the best eight ball players in the country and to watch them get out over and over it's seriously art. These guys are amazing. I know for a fact they play most of there pool on a seven footer.

So I decided on a 7' because most my events will be on a 7'. But I really want the nine. Lol.

Good luck in your choice.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd go with the 9' if I had the room for one :rolleyes:

Buy the size you enjoy playing on the most. You are most likely going to play the most of your time at home practicing so make sure you can enjoy it as much as you possiby can :smile:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think you'll find that practicing on a 9' table is much more fun than a 7' table. Pro players and pro events should be held on 9' tables! Just my two cents.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a 9ft pro-am just installed 2 days ago. Couldn't be happier.

Since you have the room, go with the 9ft. If not, you'll regret it.

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ok, I'm ready to buy a new table, it's going to be a Diamond my problem is I'm not sure what size to get.

My thinking is to get and 8ft so the switch between the 7 and 9 isn't that drastic.

What do you guys think?

Thanks
I'm thinking, why not have it all; 102" (playing length) for the long shots with a width
similar to a 7' at 42" (playing width), the side pockets have a 1" shelf with the pockets
flanked with gatekeepers (snooker bends) making for some narrowly long cross-sides
Kicks & Banks . I'm jazzed about it, my resistance to the ? was futile. :wink:

Last edited:

moneytalks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually like the 8ft option. My league plays on 8ft Olhausens, but Cities and Vegas are all 7ft Valley. I personally think 8ft tables are a great equalizer to help you play on either 7 or 9 because it's mainly the shot distance that requires adjustment.

I also love playing on 7' Diamonds with pro cut pockets which are WAY harder than the APA Valleys. Supposedly, SVB's favorite game is 8 ball on a 7' Diamond. Although... I play on a tight 7ft at home, and it makes the 9ft Diamond feel like a soccer field for the first hour or two.

I would probably buy whatever I had adequate room for... which is what I did.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Get the 9ft diamond. Your stroke will thank you for it. When league time comes around, you can toy around with the guys on the barbox.

Jedivman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always owned 9s and 7s and just recently but I mint 1968 Brunswick 8. It plays really good, but the angles seem off or different to me. I can't nail down why I don't like, but I dont.

rtrdriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always found it more difficult to go back to a 9 footer after playing on a 7 footer for a while rather than the other way around.

That's why I bought a 9'. Once you get used to a 9', a 7' seems like a kids' game.

Plus the game is on a 9' foot. I think the reason they came up with the 7' is so it fits better in a bar plus there's less serious shooters and a they're a little tipsy to boot. Balls get a little blurry at distance.

I almost bought a 7'. I figured my eyesight would eventually force me in that direction.

I'm glad I didn't.

:yeah:

Steve748

Registered
I had the same dilemma and I found an 8' olhausen waterfall for a steal and as it looks a really cool piece of furniture I could justify filling a room with it. As for the size the transition to a 7 or a 9 is no problem and I have no problem with working out the angles.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Silly question. There’s been plenty of discussion about this over the years.
9’ is the only way to go.