CTE - A - Outside Pivot - Only for straight shots?

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey thanks for the response.

I don't find CTE to be particularly foreign actually.

I am new to pool, and have no qualms trying anything that pockets balls.

I had been using shishkebob for my main aiming method for the last 6th months with good, if not inconsistent success. Before that I tried ghost ball (of course), CJ Wiley TOI, and Hal Houles quarters system.

I'll keep trying CTE and see how it goes.

The question still remains though, how do you determine whether the shot is inside/outside? Experience? Some sort of visual reference?

You must at least have enough experience to be able to visualize where the OB will go if shot from the initial fixed ccb provided by the visuals/perception. That is how you know whether or not the perception needs thinned with an inside pivot/sweep or thickened with an outside pivot/sweep.

Last edited:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More encouragement for you..!

Thanks for that. Ill set up these and give it a go.
When you use CTE Aiming, you're going to like not having to worry about whether or not you're aiming correctly, or if you've estimated a cut correctly...assuming you have a pretty good stroke and aren't drunk or something. I call it "one less bell to answer".
Here's an example.
Last night I went into the 'torture chamber' with the 4 1/4 inch pockets, cheap cloth, and dead ass rails, hot and sweat filled, no air conditioning, and dumb rap music from 2 radio stations blasting as an intentional distraction.....rehearsing for my weekly robbery of the local "Chump Change Tournament". This is the way I train.
COULDN'T MAKE A BALL!! Absolutely ridiculous....simple shots, long shots, pathetic. Rattling them in the pockets, getting a piece of the rails going in, etc.
Since I use the absolute perfect CTE method of aiming, there was no concern about proper thickness of hits or if I had judged the mosconi way correctly, or any of that stuff.
By looking in the big mirror next to the table, I noticed my feet were just slightly different in positioning than usual. A mere adjustment of 3-4 inches....and WHAM! Right back into perfect alignment and the balls began falling again.
Tested it again this morning...yep, everything back to normal.
The point being.....no tinkering was done with stroke, with grip, with aiming at the pocket, aiming at the object ball, with experimentation, whatever...and compounding the trouble.
Using CTE, it was not even necessary to consider those things as a part of the diagnosis.
Another reason you're going to LOVE IT.
Happy Trails to you...:thumbup:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you use CTE Aiming, you're going to like not having to worry about whether or not you're aiming correctly, or if you've estimated a cut correctly...assuming you have a pretty good stroke and aren't drunk or something. I call it "one less bell to answer".
Here's an example.
Last night I went into the 'torture chamber' with the 4 1/4 inch pockets, cheap cloth, and dead ass rails, hot and sweat filled, no air conditioning, and dumb rap music from 2 radio stations blasting as an intentional distraction.....rehearsing for my weekly robbery of the local "Chump Change Tournament". This is the way I train.
COULDN'T MAKE A BALL!! Absolutely ridiculous....simple shots, long shots, pathetic. Rattling them in the pockets, getting a piece of the rails going in, etc.
Since I use the absolute perfect CTE method of aiming, there was no concern about proper thickness of hits or if I had judged the mosconi way correctly, or any of that stuff.
By looking in the big mirror next to the table, I noticed my feet were just slightly different in positioning than usual. A mere adjustment of 3-4 inches....and WHAM! Right back into perfect alignment and the balls began falling again.
Tested it again this morning...yep, everything back to normal.
The point being.....no tinkering was done with stroke, with grip, with aiming at the pocket, aiming at the object ball, with experimentation, whatever...and compounding the trouble.
Using CTE, it was not even necessary to consider those things as a part of the diagnosis.
Another reason you're going to LOVE IT.
Happy Trails to you...:thumbup:

I personally feel there is too much emphasis on feet movement here and there. As Stan often says, "The eyes lead, and the body follows." - I never think of my feet movement. They move into a comfortable position that allows me to sweep into the right slant for the shot. I did discover - by going through the DVD example shots - why I was missing so many shots. - Since I'm left handed I was naturally bending over into a left visual sweep. When training with CTE I would over-sweep on the left and under-sweep on the right side. Those examples on the DVD and YT are essential in learning the system. I have a long ways to go to improve my accuracy in locating A/B and especially C & 1/8.

But regardless - I'm glad you found your problem and solved it.

Jucas

Registered
Ok some more CTE table time.

I watched Stan's video on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTBDO_6au4https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTBDO_6au4

The shots he set up, or at least approx, I can use the visuals and hit it.

When I setting up the spot shot, with the CB on the head-spot and the OB on the foot-spot both in the center of the table. There is no way I was getting close to the pocket using a 15 and inside. The hit was way too thick. The hit was consistent though, and the ball ended up striking the back rail in the same place.

Now, I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I am going to monkey around with it and see if I can get the balls to drop.

I was, however, having a hell of a time shooting in a spot shot (CB on foot OB on head spots). I would get what I thought were the right visuals, drop down on the shot, and the inside pivot would way overcut the shot, the outside pivot way undercut.
Could anyone tell me what a proper visual and pivot should be for a spot shot?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jucas, this is straight from Stan himself.
The spot shot is made with a 15 inside or a 30 outside.
Enjoy and keep on truckin'
:thumbup:

Jucas

Registered
You must at least have enough experience to be able to visualize where the OB will go if shot from the initial fixed ccb provided by the visuals/perception. That is how you know whether or not the perception needs thinned with an inside pivot/sweep or thickened with an outside pivot/sweep.

Sure, I can imagine where the ball will go if I do a straight hit based on the reference points, relatively speaking. But aren't we getting into ghost ball/contact point territory then?

This seems to be a weakness that there isn't a visual "clue" that allows you to see whether or not the pivot is inside or outside.

If I am visualizing/imagining/guessing where the OB will go after a straight-hit (based on the reference points) then it's very possible I guess wrong (it might be more thin or thick), and therefore my pivot might be wrong too. Which seem to me to bring you back to "it looks right".

I guess I was hoping that there might be a visual reference-point/alignment that clues you into the pivot direction.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, I can imagine where the ball will go if I do a straight hit based on the reference points, relatively speaking. But aren't we getting into ghost ball/contact point territory then?

This seems to be a weakness that there isn't a visual "clue" that allows you to see whether or not the pivot is inside or outside.

If I am visualizing/imagining/guessing where the OB will go after a straight-hit (based on the reference points) then it's very possible I guess wrong (it might be more thin or thick), and therefore my pivot might be wrong too. Which seem to me to bring you back to "it looks right".

I guess I was hoping that there might be a visual reference-point/alignment that clues you into the pivot direction.

Experience will teach you that. As you said ... "more table time".

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Stan has a couple of youtube clips where he explains how to determine pivot directions. There is no visual clue other than experience when getting that fixed pre-pivot/sweep cb perception.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stan has a couple of youtube clips where he explains how to determine pivot directions. There is no visual clue other than experience when getting that fixed pre-pivot/sweep cb perception.

UPDATED:

I received an update from Stan. He made it clear to me ... "I will show everyone how to objectively see perceptions, how to objectively determine thick or thin and how to objectively arrive at one tick for the shot line........" - Stan

I am going to sit patiently and offer no more advice or opinions on the subject until Stan's book & TS comes out. He has spent hours, days, & years putting YT videos out that one can study (I've watched every single video at least 4 times). It is fascinating and is proving to shift my focus from pocketing to cue ball control (speed, spin, sequence {for non-rotation games}).

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A B C and CTEL are visual clues. Don't need much experience for those.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
UPDATED:

I received an update from Stan. He made it clear to me ... "I will show everyone how to objectively see perceptions, how to objectively determine thick or thin and how to objectively arrive at one tick for the shot line........" - Stan

I am going to sit patiently and offer no more advice or opinions on the subject until Stan's book & TS comes out. He has spent hours, days, & years putting YT videos out that one can study (I've watched every single video at least 4 times). It is fascinating and is proving to shift my focus from pocketing to cue ball control (speed, spin, sequence {for non-rotation games}).

He has already put out some excellent YouTube vids showing how to determine thick or thin. It's fairly easy (with enough shot experience) to determine if that fixed ccb perception would cut the ob slightly thick or thin of the pocket. From there you either thin the perception with an inside move or thicken it with an outside move. Stan says it's usually obvious, determining which direction to pivot, and that's probably true once you've developed the ability to visualize/recognize cb-ob relationships.

The "one tic" statement is intriguing, considering there are 360 tics on a ball. That means each tic represents 0.5mm on the surface of the ball.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UPDATED:
Good for you.
Ignore all 'help' and instructions from those who have not been certified as instructors by Stan himself.
They don't know what they're talking about and usually have a self-serving agenda.
I am not an instructor...only a student.
If Stan hasn't given someone the green light....then it's all conjecture and more or less a case of the blind leading the blind.
He said today that one of the great features in his upcoming Truth Series will be how to deal with straight-ins over and over and over...(he considers straight-ins the toughest shots)
As the song said........."Time is on our side".

canwin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good for you.
Ignore all 'help' and instructions from those who have not been certified as instructors by Stan himself.
They don't know what they're talking about and usually have a self-serving agenda.
I am not an instructor...only a student.
If Stan hasn't given someone the green light....then it's all conjecture and more or less a case of the blind leading the blind.
He said today that one of the great features in his upcoming Truth Series will be how to deal with straight-ins over and over and over...(he considers straight-ins the toughest shots)
As the song said........."Time is on our side".

Seriously... How old are you?