opinions on Gandy's

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that a few decades back they were the top of the mountain what is the opinion on them now as a home table that is 4.5 x 9.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that a few decades back they were the top of the mountain what is the opinion on them now as a home table that is 4.5 x 9.

I don’t remember them ever being the top dog but they were somewhat popular. Today the make good firewood. I played on a few last year and they sucked but at least the room had them fairly level unlike the room that had GC’s

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
They are a fine table. They might need the pockets tightened up some to play like the modern table.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a Gandy Hustler with a chocolate cloth. I loved that table. It was in 1980. I could not afford a GC. Same table was in the Baltimore Bullet.

TexasPoolPlayer7

I have a Gandy Big G from the late 60's / early 70's before they changed the style, and I love it. Maybe it's just the fact that I have my own table in my house that didn't cost an arm and a leg. But I've gotten some amazing nights with friends on it, playing round robin all night. I just love playing pool and my Big G has my heart. They don't hold a candle to the higher tier tables today, though.

sonoman

I bought a Gandy over size 8 ft. in 1986. I think they were still making them in Macon, GA at that time. I heard at some point they started importing from China. In another post here on AZB there were a lot of negative comments maybe those comments were directed at the import tables. My table has been good for me. The cushions are still good today, it rolls straight and the frame is large timbers. The only problem I have had is a mechanic at some point stripped the threads on one of the bolts that holds down the rail when he recovered the cloth.

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
I bought a Gandy over size 8 ft. in 1986. I think they were still making them in Macon, GA at that time. I heard at some point they started importing from China. In another post here on AZB there were a lot of negative comments maybe those comments were directed at the import tables. My table has been good for me. The cushions are still good today, it rolls straight and the frame is large timbers. The only problem I have had is a mechanic at some point stripped the threads on one of the bolts that holds down the rail when he recovered the cloth.
Grab yourself a thread tapping tool and clean up the thread.
You should be able to do this while the rail nut is still attached.
Hope it helps.
1628115569724.png

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had an 8' Gandy and loved it. The guy that set-up our current table built them in Macon, GA before starting his own showroom and table building business.