Job making pool cues.Will relocate

rackemup81

I'm a phenomenal pool player and I'm seeking a job making pool cues/tables. I started shooting pool when I was 10 years old. I would be grateful to have a job in the billiards industry. I'm a very honest, intelligent hard worker. I put in 110% in the work that I do. I live near Chicago IL. My email is pinkfloyd8155@gmail.com. Thank You.
Scotty

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I'm a phenomenal pool player and I'm seeking a job making pool cues/tables. I started shooting pool when I was 10 years old. I would be grateful to have a job in the billiards industry. I'm a very honest, intelligent hard worker. I put in 110% in the work that I do. I live near Chicago IL. My email is pinkfloyd8155@gmail.com. Thank You.
Scotty

-
You sound like a good guy, you deserve better than the minimum wage jobs your asking about.
You can make more money working a coffe shop.

Keep your head up and best of luck 2 ya.

Rob.M

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Lol

Scotty

:killingme::rotflmao::help::rotflmao1::hug::thud:

Shine on you crazy diamond ...

I have a PF cue Dark side of the moon :yeah:

Last edited:

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 5.58.09 AM.jpg

:thumbup::thumbup:

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered a job as a mason in Chicago? After all, we are all just bricks in the wall.:thumbup:

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its hard to make money in the cue business....Money, so they say is the root of all evil today. But if you ask for a raise, it's no surprise that they're giving none away... :thumbup:

Non Smoker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I know which scotty this is, if so, pay a visit to Darren Hill in McHenry. He is a member here under hillscues. He may give you some insight. Not sure about these others I going to mention but they all live in the chicago area, N.W. suburbs.

Joel Herecek, was in Vernon Hills, check his website and send him an email.
Bobby Hunter has a shop somewhere near Mt. Prospect (not sure exactly where.)
Noel Mendoza used to make Schuler Cues until they closed, He does work in Franklin Park.

Spend a few minutes if you can get a hold of them and see what they say. Viking and McDermott might give you a tour, send them an email.
Viking is in Madison and McDermott is in a Milwaukee suburb.

Check these out on Facebook, Good Luck with everything, hope it works for you.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just get started. It's not about money right now. Learn all you can. Be great at what you do. Deliver quality and it'll come back to you. Follow Scott Lee's advice. Contact the big companies. Get experienced and you can be self employed someday. Cue repair and table installation aside from building them. Good luck.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Best of luck, young man. Let us know how things progress.
From what I can see the market for cue makers is pretty soft, but hard work and honesty goes a long way. Something will come up.
At least, and I'm impressed by this, you didn't come on this forum asking for money, or proclaiming that you're going to be a pro player sometime in the near future, like some recently have. Well done, and good luck. :)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci is hiring....saw a help wanted sign on their door 2 weeks ago while I was playing pool there

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're close enough to check out all the Wisconsin shops. Get in touch with McDermott, Viking, Schon, Schmelke, Jacoby, Pechauer, and Segen. These shops vary in size and number of employees but I remember Schon looking for help not too long ago so openings happen. There is a guy in my league that works at Viking.

When it comes to one area with a large number of decent size cue makers it's tough to beat Wisconsin.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best of luck, young man. Let us know how things progress.
From what I can see the market for cue makers is pretty soft, but hard work and honesty goes a long way. Something will come up.
At least, and I'm impressed by this, you didn't come on this forum asking for money, or proclaiming that you're going to be a pro player sometime in the near future, like some recently have. Well done, and good luck. :)
Well said, Tramp. Your posts are always spot on or hilarious.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty

When all the Pool Cues are playing different tunes, I'll see you on the

Dark Side of the Moon.

My son is 21 and a full time College student. He's been helping me for a few years now in his spare time. He enjoys it so much that he would love to do it for the rest of his life, I tell him to stay in College. He could kick 60 yard field goals at the age of 16, got some scholarship to play Football but he prefers working in the shop.

What is wrong with the next generation? Kids who grow up watching their Dads enjoy life too much I guess, but hey, I grew up listening to Pink Floyd, rock on.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scotty

I would think the best money in pool would be teaching. If you are a great player, or a well known instructor, people will pay, and pay well.

I would talk/pm w/ Scott Lee and Randy. Maybe become a certifide SPF instructor and travel...

PS I think this is what all the Pros should be doing to and from tournaments, but it's a lot of work...

Pete

Casual Observer

Viva... yeah whatever
Silver Member
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'till I'm sane

;)

Lock the door and throw away the key.
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.

But in the space between the Heavens
And the corner of some foreign field
I had a dream, I had a dream.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
Two realistic options that make even a little sense:

Option 1: Buy a small lathe and teach yourself how to do tips, ferrules and simple cue repair. Then do that till you either progress or quit. I know a lot of cue makers and some of the best ever. They all started this way.

Option 2: Find a mentor, sweep the floors and learn all you can. After you learn enough to be dangerous start your own thing.

The most important thing to understand about the above reasonable options is that you must have another means of paying your bills while doing them.

The pool industry in the US doesnt have any Fords or GM's. Its all little warehouses with five to twenty people in them and those are the big companies. Some of the most expensive cues on earth are made in shops the size of my bedroom. Calling it an "industry" is being kind. Most stuff is imported. The biggest part of the industry is retailing things made other places.

All that said if you want to work for someone other than yourself in the cue/table field there are only two places I would even try to work and thats OB Cues and Diamond Tables. I cant speak to pay but my guess is you would make more at Wal Mart. Thats not a knock on either company its just the reality for someone coming into an industry with no experience doing work that basically anyone could do if they even need someone like that. Which I would bet they don't but you never know unless you try. Both companies are run by good people and make a great product. I don't know what its like to work at either but I would trust either to honor any agreement they made. Thats a quality not to be overlooked in pool.

The best way to work in pool, the way all of the really smart people I know in the game do it, is to do it without relying on it to eat. At least until you know you won't starve.