No Deflection

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are other ways to achieve absolutely zero deflection. One technique that I have implemented into my game lately involves the cue ball moving prior to cue impact. It requires a light grip and good wrist action, but when done right you can actually send the cue stick back in time just after the moment of contact with the cue ball. This reduces the duration of exposure to the striking and eliminates any traces of squirt.

I agree.

It is a good move, if you can get away with it.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I Think I Have Got It!

Some might recall the plastic prongs Joe Tucker has that snap onto a cue tip to see if you are hitting center ball. Worthless for that in my case, I'm not hitting that far off center ball. However keep the two prongs in front of the cue tip in mind, that is what is important.

Ideally they could be made out of of a superstrong clear plastic but failing that 7075t6 aluminum would work. The gadget would still go over the end of the cue stick but now it would reach to center ball of the cue ball and each prong would be adjustable. Now the device would slide onto the cue ball at the same time as tip contact. Since the cue shaft and the cue ball are both restrained from sideways movement the forces would have to cancel out, the cue ball leaves directly on the target line.

I figure I need about a half million to perfect this device and make the first production run. One question remains, should I go with Kickstarter or GoFundMe? OK, one other question: Who wants in? Stock shares plus a unit from the first production run. When the company goes public we can all retire!(all of us that are retired now anyway)

Hu

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Some might recall the plastic prongs Joe Tucker has that snap onto a cue tip to see if you are hitting center ball. Worthless for that in my case, I'm not hitting that far off center ball. However keep the two prongs in front of the cue tip in mind, that is what is important.

Ideally they could be made out of of a superstrong clear plastic but failing that 7075t6 aluminum would work. The gadget would still go over the end of the cue stick but now it would reach to center ball of the cue ball and each prong would be adjustable. Now the device would slide onto the cue ball at the same time as tip contact. Since the cue shaft and the cue ball are both restrained from sideways movement the forces would have to cancel out, the cue ball leaves directly on the target line.

I figure I need about a half million to perfect this device and make the first production run. One question remains, should I go with Kickstarter or GoFundMe? OK, one other question: Who wants in? Stock shares plus a unit from the first production run. When the company goes public we can all retire!(all of us that are retired now anyway)

Hu
Your plan appears flawless to me. Because it was your idea I think it's only fair that I put up the entire half million and we split the profits 50-50.

Is PayPal friends and family OK?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
some might recall the plastic prongs joe tucker has that snap onto a cue tip to see if you are hitting center ball. Worthless for that in my case, i'm not hitting that far off center ball. However keep the two prongs in front of the cue tip in mind, that is what is important.

I figure i need about a half million to perfect this device and make the first production run. One question remains, should i go with kickstarter or gofundme? Ok, one other question: Who wants in? Stock shares plus a unit from the first production run. When the company goes public we can all retire!(all of us that are retired now anyway)

hu

your plan appears flawless to me. Because it was your idea i think it's only fair that i put up the entire half million and we split the profits 50-50.

Is paypal friends and family ok?

Sent from my sm-g950u using tapatalk

a prong can’t be wrong

logo gratis

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to work at a printing company that did the ad inserts for newspapers all over the country.
Most of the guys who ran the presses were about 3rd grade mentally and even less in other areas.
I worked in the pre press and we were like 5th or 6th grade.
Anyway , one of those geniuses ran busting through the door one day yelling "Ain't no yeller in the corn" ain't no yeller in the corn"
Of course , no one had a clue what he was talking about , and then it finally dawned on me that he was talking about the pages he was printing.
There was a huge ad for sweet corn on the page and it was not printing the it yellow, in fact it was blue.
I told him to go check his press plates, he had switched the yellow and blues places on the press.
Thats what I am getting from this thread.
Ain't no yeller in the corn!!!!!!!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I used to work at a printing company that did the ad inserts for newspapers all over the country.
Most of the guys who ran the presses were about 3rd grade mentally and even less in other areas.
Anyway , one of those geniuses ran busting through the door one day yelling "Ain't no yeller in the corn" ain't no yeller in the corn"
Of course , no one had a clue what he was talking about , and then it finally dawned on me that he was talking about the pages he was printing.
There was a huge ad for sweet corn on the page and it was not printing the it yellow, in fact it was blue.
I told him to go check his press plates, he had switched the yellow and blues places on the press.

Love it. I might have to use this someday.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anything is possible when you don't know what you are talking about.
Thanks to Alphadog.

Whether or not he knows the principles of deflection, he knows exactly what he is doing. I’m surprised that at this point every last Main Forum reader hasn’t figured it out. Can we all go into Ignore This Thread mode, please? Please?

Also, is it possible that the OP here is the same person who is the OP on the “Problem With Our Understanding Of Side” thread? Just taking different approaches?

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Whether or not he knows the principles of deflection, he knows exactly what he is doing. I’m surprised that at this point every last Main Forum reader hasn’t figured it out. Can we all go into Ignore This Thread mode, please? Please?

Also, is it possible that the OP here is the same person who is the OP on the “Problem With Our Understanding Of Side” thread? Just taking different approaches?

There have been a few of these lately it seems, but I don’t think 007 is trolling with his threads. He seems to possibly be trying to introduce some new thoughts with that thread about side, just in a way that’s confusing for anyone not studying the posts as if they were text books. I liked the other thread he made that went real long though I don’t remember the title.

This guy here is just going to town. He may very well be Balls though.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I said it begins coming back...

Ref bold statement above.... The mass of the cb forces the tip end of the shaft to the side. Since the shaft has flexibility it bends as soon as the tip makes contact with the cb. After the cb leaves the tip the shaft springs back due to it's own stored energy. The tip is no longer in contact with the ball when this happens. It can be seen very clearly here....https://billiards.colostate.edu/high-speed-video/hsv-4-5/

The ball can't just leave the tip due to the friction between the ball and tip, you aren't seeing what you think you are. I couldn't load that video just now but I have seen them in the past. Most of the rebound happens in the tip. Hell, most of the deflection (based on eccentricity of angle) happens in the tip, but it absolutely begins rebounding as the ball pulls away from the tip but before it actually leaves.

BTW, I'm not claiming that this gives credence to what I was replying to. Honestly, I didn't even read the whole post that I replied to, Nor did I bother to read the post he was replying to.

I was just making a statement that should be read as a stand alone statement.

Jaden

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ref bold statement above.... The mass of the cb forces the tip end of the shaft to the side. Since the shaft has flexibility it bends as soon as the tip makes contact with the cb. After the cb leaves the tip the shaft springs back due to it's own stored energy. The tip is no longer in contact with the ball when this happens. It can be seen very clearly here....https://billiards.colostate.edu/high-speed-video/hsv-4-5/
FYI, there are much better videos showing how the shaft flexes during and after a hit here:

cue vibration resource page

Regards,
Dave

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Ok, let us know when you achieve that .
You won't.

*lol*
I just wrote it into my calendar so he will remember me the first time 1 year ahead-
( just for the case... :D )... and then yearly..... :grin-square:

pinkspider

Crap user name, I know.
Silver Member

no dont ignore lol... we should keep feeding for more laughs, but methinks he's kinda tired of this thread also.. i dont think its imac007 who's trolling tho, doesnt feel like him.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

"What we got here... is a failure to communicate!":thumbup:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The ball can't just leave the tip due to the friction between the ball and tip, you aren't seeing what you think you are. I couldn't load that video just now but I have seen them in the past. Most of the rebound happens in the tip. Hell, most of the deflection (based on eccentricity of angle) happens in the tip, but it absolutely begins rebounding as the ball pulls away from the tip but before it actually leaves.

BTW, I'm not claiming that this gives credence to what I was replying to. Honestly, I didn't even read the whole post that I replied to, Nor did I bother to read the post he was replying to.

I was just making a statement that should be read as a stand alone statement.

Jaden

This should make it easier to see, since you can't watch the slow motion video. I took these screenshots to show exactly what happens when the tip strikes the cb off center. This is a half tip of right english. The images begin with the top left being just before impact and progress across like reading a paragraph, ending with the bottom right pic after the shaft has returned to it's unflexed position. Notice how the cb is no longer in contact with the tip well before the shaft begins to move back from it's defected path.

picture.php

Althair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue tip only contacts cue ball for a thousanth of a second. Don't see any way to control that.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Cue tip only contacts cue ball for a thousanth of a second. Don't see any way to control that.

Sent from my SM-A600U using Tapatalk

You are underestimating the pool world.
Hundreds will argue with you they can.
Hundreds will argue they can spin the ball with a circular follow through.:grin-square:

john noe

Registered
The stiffer the shaft is, the less the (shaft) will deflect and the MORE the cue ball will deflect. Yes, a shaft made of pure diamond will probably cause the least (Shaft) deflection.
This is a common misperception among players. What the player cares about is how much the cue ball will deflect after contact and the less it deflects the more inaccurate the hit can be while still making the shot.
Remember, the less "give" a shaft has the more cue ball deflection and vice versa up to point.
The more "give" a shaft has the less cue ball deflection.

Cheers,
John Noe

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The stiffer the shaft is, the less the (shaft) will deflect and the MORE the cue ball will deflect. Yes, a shaft made of pure diamond will probably cause the least (Shaft) deflection.
This is a common misperception among players. What the player cares about is how much the cue ball will deflect after contact and the less it deflects the more inaccurate the hit can be while still making the shot.
Remember, the less "give" a shaft has the more cue ball deflection and vice versa up to point.
The more "give" a shaft has the less cue ball deflection.
Stiffness is a factor; but for typical pool cues (i.e., not theoretical diamond shafts and the like), endmass is the biggest contributor to CB deflection. For more explanation and proof, see:

shaft endmass and stiffness effects

Enjoy,
Dave