Amarith Black....

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect the beancounters were asked to squeeze a margin, as using all of one colour is cheaper in fabrication, especially in black.

I saw a bike video showing carbon fiber cycling frames in China several years back, using multiple colours for the paint jobs was so time consuming in rotating the pigment that all fabricators stop doing it (some switched to silk and commonly decals).

Last edited:

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May be I missed something, but apparently the black scheme is not new.

Martin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8B61tX5ouI

2020-05-13 11-11-26.jpg

Rubik's Cube

Pool Ball Collector
Silver Member
Good afternoon, everyone.

Raschig made two sets of black-themed balls in 1983 (Four Player and One Pocket). You can view examples of both by clicking on the link in my signature below.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I believe the Aramith Black was an answer to a situation where there was no problem. My Tournaments never did and never will need improvement. I admit I have changed colors in my game over the years. Green table cloth to tournament blue. Maple shafts to carbon fiber (black). But my pool balls will remain in perpetuity.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the Aramith Black was an answer to a situation where there was no problem. My Tournaments never did and never will need improvement. I admit I have changed colors in my game over the years. Green table cloth to tournament blue. Maple shafts to carbon fiber (black). But my pool balls will remain in perpetuity.
I agree. Emily F. at Matchroom wanted a "special" ball for their events and this is what they came up with. "Supposedly" they show up better on small screens, aka cell-phones. Whatever. They suck big time.Not as bad as the skittles tv balls but a real close second.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is Aramith’s equivalent FU to Karsten Solheim’s design change to Ping Zing.

The clubs were so friggin’ hideous that sales were a total flop. Swedes can be very
stubborn so then he tweaked the design, i.e., Ping Zing ll, that was even another flop.

So after consecutive failures, he went back to his original cavity back design and he
Stuck with the Ping Eye series which were a incredible hit. Morale to this story is.....

If it doesn’t have curb appeal, no matter how well it plays, the clubs will not sell. Just
ask Cleveland Golf about its VAS 792 iron design that copied the Zing design & it failed.

The appearance of your product has to be esthetically appealing or else it will be rejected.
Well, Aramith has learned this and the Black design is really a grotesque looking pool ball.

Scrunge19

Registered
They would be okay if all I was going to play is 9-ball. The 9-ball is really the only one that looks decent with the black sides so I can stomach having one of these new color combination balls on the table. But if you play 8ball and have to have 6 more balls with that color combo out on the table, it's too much. Swapping the colors on the 4/5 balls wasn't needed but that's not a complete deal breaker. At the end of the day though, I'd rather just stick with the classic look of the centennials.

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
They would be okay if all I was going to play is 9-ball. The 9-ball is really the only one that looks decent with the black sides so I can stomach having one of these new color combination balls on the table. But if you play 8ball and have to have 6 more balls with that color combo out on the table, it's too much. Swapping the colors on the 4/5 balls wasn't needed but that's not a complete deal breaker. At the end of the day though, I'd rather just stick with the classic look of the centennials.

Rashig made a ballset without numbers for 9 ball, with a 9 ball like the one in Aramiths set. It's not an original idea by Aramith. Naturally, without numbers, it's harder to distiguish the 9 from the 1, so it made total sense to make this colour scheme there Supposedly, Rashig made their balls without numbers, because at the time it wasn't possible to make numbered balls as accurately and as round.

Another theory is that the designer actually hated colourblind people and wanted them to suffer. Apparantly the CEO of Aramith is colourblind and wanted to get revenge, by making a ball set that was worse for those with normal vision. Don't know if that's true, but the Rashigs enjoyed a great reputation, despite noboby actually buying them. Well, not nobody, but very few, I should say.

oknazevad

Registered
That may be the best purple I've ever seen in a set. After all, the shade of purple is so often too dark to easily distinguish, and brighter, more vibrant purple is a fine thing. Especially when paired with a moderately lighter, less red shade of brown to really allow for a truly distinct 7 ball.

Too bad they put it on the wrong ball. The pink-for-purple swap on traditional TV color schemes (which is weird to call them traditional, but it has been nearly 40 years since it emerged) makes some sense in that shades of pink are often really shades of light magenta, so they're both in the part of the color wheel between red and blue. And the choice of pink and lighter brown are clearly lifted from snooker colors, so they're not without precedent in billiards.

But if purple is in use, it needs to be on the 4 and 12, else you're just confusing the public and the player.

Last edited:

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
to quote MattPoland.....”Out of curiosity, do you sell billiard supplies? I was wondering if you did and whether that might color your opinion.”

Hello, Matt -

Sell billiard supplies? Heavens no. I’m a buyer only. I just happen to love ball sets in general and whenever I have the chance to share my experiences and thoughts on a particular set from my private collection (like the Aramith Black edition) with fellow AZB’ers, I jump at the chance.

Venture on over to the Pool Ball Collectors thread sometime if you’d like to see other colorful sets and opinions, sir

~K.

Last edited:

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are the ugliest set of balls I have ever seen and I have spent time as a caretaker in a mens old age home locker room.

If someone gave me a set I would regift them....UNOPENED.

The only way a set of balls could be worse is if they were made by the Association for blind people and instead of numbers they had braille imprinted on them.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
That may be the best purple I've ever seen in a set. After all, the shade of purple is so often too dark to easily distinguish, and brighter, more vibrant purple is a fine thing. Especially when paired with a moderately lighter, less red brown to really allow for a truly distinct 7 ball.

Too bad they put it on the wrong ball. The pink-for-purple swap on traditional TV color schemes (which is weird to call them traditional, but it has been nearly 40 years since it emerged) makes some sense in that shades of pink are often really shades of light magenta, so they're both in the part of the color wheel between red and blue, and the choice of pink and lighter brown are clearly lifted from snooker colors, but if purple is in use, it needs to be on the 4 and 12. Else you're just confusing the public and the player.

I agree about the new purple....it’s a great choice....
..for a four ball!!!!!!!!!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy collecting pool memorabilia and have bought different things over the years like individual
pool balls. The Raschig cue ball with concentric circles is an example & I probably have a dozen
different cue balls. The novelty of any item can be intriguing but its appearance is also important.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love

I love them . I do wish the 5 ball had been orange but I like everything else about them.