Mark Griffin TAR Interview - My Thoughts

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Turn back now if you're not in the mood for a long post!

I just watched the superb TAR interview of Mark Griffin by Justin (JCIN). It dealt with: a) upcoming American pool events, b) the ABP mess and problems, c) bonus ball, its potential positives and some of its illogic, d) the decline of American men's pro pool and reasons for it, e) the scarcity of youth programs to steer American kids to pool, f) the fact that men's pool events rarely turn a profit for American promoters, and g) relocation of BCAPL events to the Rio in 2013. Justin and Mark chatted about these topics, and I agreed with most of what they said. I'd like to review and comment on their chat as it pertained to the state of men's pro pool in America.

The Decline of American Men's Pro Pool - Background
Outside of Shane, male American pros are in a slump. They achieved little in the past year in overseas events (in large part, due to reduced participation). More notably, they came up short in American-based events with big fields and significant participation from foreign players. The last eleven such events, in which eight foreigners won, were: 1) 2010 US Open 9-ball (Appleton), 2) 2011 DCC Banks (Pagulayan), 3) 2011 DCC One Pocket (Van Boening), 4) 2011 DCC 9-ball (Orcullo), 5) 2011 DCC 14.1 (Appleton), 6) 2011 Super Billiards Expo 10-ball (Souquet), 7) 2011 US Open One Pocket (Reyes), 8) 2011 US Open 10-ball (Van Boening), 9) 2011 Straight Pool Championship (Hohmann), 10) 2011 Turning Stone XVII (Morris), 11) 2011 US Open 9-ball (Appleton). Yes, American pros not named Shane are rarely the ones to beat on American soil, and there's no reason to think that this will change anytime soon.

The State of American Men's Pro Pool and Pool's Tough Business Model - Mark and Justin's Analysis
Where has it gone wrong, Mark and Justin pondered? Mark spoke of the fact that, Shane aside, few American players have the work ethic found among top foreign stars, and concluded it was due to insufficient financial incentive. The American pool pro, he observed, can earn more performing menial jobs such as pumping gas, while Filipino and Chinese pros can earn amounts that are substantial in the context of the economies of their homelands. Mark added that lack of US Olympic funding is another difference, explaining that pool as an Olympic sport is improbable, and is impossible until 2020, so no such funds will be available to American pros in the short-term.

How then, Mark and Justin pondered together, will the economy of men's pool be fueled in America? As they saw it, it would come from either a) the appearance of an angel, meaning a Trudeau type who would invest heavily in pool without much substantiation of income prospects, b) a grassroots effort to grow the game, or c) the passion of those who produce events (like the two of them) despite insubstantial profit potential. Mark joked that, despite being 65 years old, he's in this business for the long run! That's comforting.

Mark and Justin dismissed the angel idea as improbable as a long-term solution. If an angel were to emerge, they noted, the hard economic facts of the game would cause them to walk away in short order, much as Kevin Trudeau did. Mark noted the scarcity of youth programs to introduce kids to pool, and Justin added something here that I thought very important. He noted that many parents don't let their kids go to poolrooms because of pool's image and this hinders the growth of the sport. I think it will take both youth programs and a more kid-friendly atmosphere in America's poolrooms to jumpstart what Justin referred to as a grassroots effort to grow the game. Justin, quite correctly pointed out, and Mark agreed, that such a grassroots effort might take a decade. Hence, they concluded that the persistence of promoters that produce American events despite the sobering profit potential is, in all probability, a key to the immediate future. Mark spoke of how he is raising money, through his BCA pool leagues, to help fund pro events and, ultimately, to help finance the participation of American pros in overseas events. This is very admirable, but also quite remarkable, given that ABP continues to exclude promoters like him from the task of mapping out a strategy to sustain men's pro pool in America.

Mark, finally, shared his plans for producing some new pro events to coincide with the BCAPL tournaments in Vegas starting in 2013.

Summing it Up
Piecing it all together, then, the state of pro pool in America is this:

a) Aside from Van Boening, American pros are gradually falling off the world's pool map.
b) The economics of the game continue to make a career in pro pool less attractive to Americans.
c) Although there are some, America needs far more youth programs for pool to grow.
d) The fact that poolrooms in America are not seen as kid-friendly deters parents from introducing kids to pool.
e) Promoters that invest in pool despite poor income prospects in the short-term are vital to sustaining American pro pool.
f) American professional players are trying to steer pro pool's ship alone, leaving promoters out of the decision loop.

I'm glad to see that Mark and Justin, two key figures in pool, have such a solid grasp of the realities of men's pro pool in America. I admire them for not being deterred by the tough challenges the sport faces.

Nobody in recent times has done more than Mark Griffin to keep pro pool alive in America, and his persistence in producing events and diverting funds from his leagues to support the pros is remarkable. To my delight, Mark shared his hopes to produce a) US Open Ten Ball, b) US Open One-Pocket, c) US Open 14.1, and d) US Open 8-ball, in Vegas in 2013, to be played during the BCAPL events. I hope American pros will work with rather than against him to make his dream a reality.

Conclusion
Thanks you Justin and Mark Griffin for this wonderful, enlightening interview. Well done, gentlemen.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Turn back now if you're not in the mood for a long post!

I just watched the superb TAR interview of Mark Griffin by Justin (JCIN). It dealt with: a) upcoming American pool events, b) the ABP mess and problems, c) bonus ball, its potential positives and some of its illogic, d) the decline of American men's pro pool and reasons for it, e) the scarcity of youth programs to steer American kids to pool, f) the fact that men's pool events rarely turn a profit for American promoters, and g) relocation of BCAPL events to the Rio in 2013. Justin and Mark chatted about these topics, and I agreed with most of what they said. I'd like to review and comment on their chat as it pertained to the state of men's pro pool in America.

The Decline of American Men's Pro Pool - Background
Outside of Shane, male American pros are in a slump. They achieved little in the past year in overseas events (in large part, due to reduced participation). More notably, they came up short in American-based events with big fields and significant participation from foreign players. The last eleven such events, in which eight foreigners won, were: 1) 2010 US Open 9-ball (Appleton), 2) 2011 DCC Banks (Pagulayan), 3) 2011 DCC One Pocket (Van Boening), 4) 2011 DCC 9-ball (Orcullo), 5) 2011 DCC 14.1 (Appleton), 6) 2011 Super Billiards Expo 10-ball (Souquet), 7) 2011 US Open One Pocket (Reyes), 8) 2011 US Open 10-ball (Van Boening), 9) 2011 Straight Pool Championship (Hohmann), 10) 2011 Turning Stone XVII (Morris), 11) 2011 US Open 9-ball (Appleton). Yes, American pros not named Shane are rarely the ones to beat on American soil, and there's no reason to think that this will change anytime soon.

The State of American Men's Pro Pool and Pool's Tough Business Model - Mark and Justin's Analysis
Where has it gone wrong, Mark and Justin pondered? Mark spoke of the fact that, Shane aside, few American players have the work ethic found among top foreign stars, and concluded it was due to insufficient financial incentive. The American pool pro, he observed, can earn more performing menial jobs such as pumping gas, while Filipino and Chinese pros can earn amounts that are substantial in the context of the economies of their homelands. Mark added that lack of US Olympic funding is another difference, explaining that pool as an Olympic sport is improbable, and is impossible until 2020, so no such funds will be available to American pros in the short-term.

How then, Mark and Justin pondered together, will the economy of men's pool be fueled in America? As they saw it, it would come from either a) the appearance of an angel, meaning a Trudeau type who would invest heavily in pool without much substantiation of income prospects, b) a grassroots effort to grow the game, or c) the passion of those who produce events (like the two of them) despite insubstantial profit potential. Mark joked that, despite being 65 years old, he's in this business for the long run! That's comforting.

Mark and Justin dismissed the angel idea as improbable as a long-term solution. If an angel were to emerge, they noted, the hard economic facts of the game would cause them to walk away in short order, much as Kevin Trudeau did. Mark noted the scarcity of youth programs to introduce kids to pool, and Justin added something here that I thought very important. He noted that many parents don't let their kids go to poolrooms because of pool's image and this hinders the growth of the sport. I think it will take both youth programs and a more kid-friendly atmosphere in America's poolrooms to jumpstart what Justin referred to as a grassroots effort to grow the game. Justin, quite correctly pointed out, and Mark agreed, that such a grassroots effort might take a decade. Hence, they concluded that the persistence of promoters that produce American events despite the sobering profit potential is, in all probability, a key to the immediate future. Mark spoke of how he is raising money, through his BCA pool leagues, to help fund pro events and, ultimately, to help finance the participation of American pros in overseas events. This is very admirable, but also quite remarkable, given that ABP continues to exclude promoters like him from the task of mapping out a strategy to sustain men's pro pool in America.

Mark, finally, shared his plans for producing some new pro events to coincide with the BCAPL tournaments in Vegas starting in 2013.

Summing it Up
Piecing it all together, then, the state of pro pool in America is this:

a) Aside from Van Boening, American pros are gradually falling off the world's pool map.
b) The economics of the game continue to make a career in pro pool less attractive to Americans.
c) Although there are some, America needs far more youth programs for pool to grow.
d) The fact that poolrooms in America are not seen as kid-friendly deters parents from introducing kids to pool.
e) Promoters that invest in pool despite poor income prospects in the short-term are vital to sustaining American pro pool.
f) American professional players are trying to steer pro pool's ship alone, leaving promoters out of the decision loop.

I'm glad to see that Mark and Justin, two key figures in pool, have such a solid grasp of the realities of men's pro pool in America. I admire them for not being deterred by the tough challenges the sport faces.

Nobody in recent times has done more than Mark Griffin to keep pro pool alive in America, and his persistence in producing events and diverting funds from his leagues to support the pros is remarkable. To my delight, Mark shared his hopes to produce a) US Open Ten Ball, b) US Open One-Pocket, c) US Open 14.1, and d) US Open 8-ball, in Vegas in 2013, to be played during the BCAPL events. I hope American pros will work with rather than against him to make his dream a reality.

Conclusion
Thanks you Justin and Mark Griffin for this wonderful, enlightening interview. Well done, gentlemen.

Very nice summation, Stu.

A couple of random thoughts: occasionally traveling to tournaments populated with players far better than me, I oft times have a chance to observe these high level players in a tournament setting. Two things always jump out at me: first, as you've mentioned, their lack of work ethic. With the exception of maybe SVB, Cliff Joyner, and a couple of others (Ike Runnels springs to mind), you very rarely see American pros working out. It seems they are always off to do something else, like golf. I guess I can't blame them, the rewards are so small for competing professionally at pool. The other thing is just how much more professionally the European pros look and act. Maybe a small thing, but they do seem to find more sponsors than the American players. I dan't know, maybe these two points are interwoven...

Personally, I don't think youth programs are the answer. If the sport is desirable enough on it's face, the kids will come. I mean, really, so you have a great youth program. And then what? You release them into the wild to a void.

I applaud all of Mark's efforts. He is a Godsend to pool. My quibble might be that I can never figure out whether he's trying to attract pros to his events (just put up the dough and they will come) or, is he trying to engage the enthusiasts? I'm guessing he'd say both, but it's tough to satisfy "both" within the same parameters.

Take me. I love pool, play good enough to get into most events (and go two and out), and have disposable dough and time to travel to attractive events. But even for someone like me, a little pool goes a long way. I don't want to be stuck in Reno for four days (plus travel time) for a pool tournament immediately after the DCC. I don't want to go to Vegas for 10 (or more) days of pool. I want the occasional big time weekend event -- in Friday out Sunday. (And I know that does little to put bodies in hotel rooms , but that's from my perspective, not the promoter's.) And, although I fully realize there are other major factors at work, it would be nice if some of these big ta do's were spaced out over the year, instead of lumped together near other major events. But that's just me. I don't want any of that taken the wrong way -- I applaud all Mark is doing for pool.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

PoolSharkAllen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How then, Mark and Justin pondered together, will the economy of men's pool be fueled in America? As they saw it, it would come from either a) the appearance of an angel, meaning a Trudeau type who would invest heavily in pool without much substantiation of income prospects,

Mark and Justin dismissed the angel idea as improbable as a long-term solution. If an angel were to emerge, they noted, the hard economic facts of the game would cause them to walk away in short order, much as Kevin Trudeau did.
The US Open got help from an angel this year with sponsorship from Pepsi. Perhaps this is something that promoters can build upon by getting Pepsi interested in sponsoring other tournaments too?

If pool is ever going to reemerge from the doldrums here in the U.S., it's going to have to find new sponsors that have deep pockets.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
The US Open got help from an angel this year with sponsorship from Pepsi. Perhaps this is something that promoters can build upon by getting Pepsi interested in sponsoring other tournaments too?

If pool is ever going to reemerge from the doldrums here in the U.S., it's going to have to find new sponsors that have deep pockets.

I disagree. Pepsi is a company that is refined enough to study the income prospects of all investments they consider, whether it be in pool or anything else.

Pepsi is an investor in pool, and I appreciate them for it. I hope they benefited from their sponsorship of the US Open so that their sponsorship can grow. Pepsi is not, however, an angel as defined in my post. An angel, in the context of the TAR interview, is a business entity that will invest heavily in pool without carefully sizing up the income prospects.

Needless to say, Pepsi has deep pockets, but just as importantly, well-managed companies like Pepsi do not invest heavily in anything unless their projections show them that they can expect a good return on that investment.

Pool must, in the long-term, strive to demonstrate to potential sponsors that a heavy investment in pool can be justified. If it can't, only an angel would be a candidate for a large infusion of cash into our sport.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Pepsi was a sponsor this year which is definitely a start. They could have been a major sponsor and ponied up bigger bucks but you have to start somewhere. I noted that several of the WPA events have Pepsi as sponsors as well so they are used to us coming calling...

Currently Pepsi and Coke are in a war in the East and Pepsi is about to have it's logo in front of 6 millions Asians during ESPN Star's rebroadcast of The US Open.... I hope Greg is paying attention and approaches them fro DCC and points this fact out... A pro tour or even just a handful of events would be a drop in Pepsi's advertising budget. I think they paid 60 million to be the primary sponsors of Simon Cowell's new show so if demographics pan out for Asians watching the Open it might be time to talk to them and ask what they want and how much will they give...

If they want Pepsi plastered everywhere so be it... I noticed that an overlay can be put over the pool table using the TRI-Caster and I would think any sponsor would pay good money for that spot between every rack........

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pepsi was a sponsor this year which is definitely a start. They could have been a major sponsor and ponied up bigger bucks but you have to start somewhere. I noted that several of the WPA events have Pepsi as sponsors as well so they are used to us coming calling...

Currently Pepsi and Coke are in a war in the East and Pepsi is about to have it's logo in front of 6 millions Asians during ESPN Star's rebroadcast of The US Open.... I hope Greg is paying attention and approaches them fro DCC and points this fact out... A pro tour or even just a handful of events would be a drop in Pepsi's advertising budget. I think they paid 60 million to be the primary sponsors of Simon Cowell's new show so if demographics pan out for Asians watching the Open it might be time to talk to them and ask what they want and how much will they give...

If they want Pepsi plastered everywhere so be it... I noticed that an overlay can be put over the pool table using the TRI-Caster and I would think any sponsor would pay good money for that spot between every rack........

Agreed. Nice post.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Buddy Hall put it best years ago in the TAR interview he did. In America no one involved with pool wants to put the rubber to the road.

No one.

On this very forum Bruce S. De Lis, Cocobolo Cowboy, did something for his local Boys and Girls Clubs by gathering donations to resupply their pool tables.

He and I both pleaded with people from around the country to do something similar in their communities. Did anything happen?

NO. Nothing, nada, nix.

People just want to TALK about what should be done as long as that talk is centered on the idea that SOMEONE ELSE should be doing it.

And that is the fundamental problem with pool as a sport in the USA.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Some great points.

The people that have been involved in running the billiards industry haven't been doing such a great job, by new billiard entrepreneur standards.

The people that are starting up in the billiards industry are trying to figure out what to do. That puts them at the same place people already in the industry have been working on for decades, even their whole life.

That said its great to point out the obvious and make it official. It sounds better than pushing a product that will revolutionize the industry.

arcticmonkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was there a point hidden in this post somewhere?

justnuts, what is your 'call to action' with regards to addressing the recent decline in performance of US born players in world class pro pool events?

Some great points.

The people that have been involved in running the billiards industry haven't been doing such a great job, by new billiard entrepreneur standards.

The people that are starting up in the billiards industry are trying to figure out what to do. That puts them at the same place people already in the industry have been working on for decades, even their whole life.

That said its great to point out the obvious and make it official. It sounds better than pushing a product that will revolutionize the industry.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
....addressing the recent decline in performance of US born players in world class pro pool events?....

This is a big challenge.

I think Mark Griffin's idea of diverting some funds raised through amateur pool to finance greater participation of top American pros in overseas events is a good first step. I think this is the minimum we must do, for there is a danger that American poolplayers would, otherwise, lose visibility on the world pool stage.

Part of the solution may happen by itself. Pool is growing in Asia, and as the Chinese presence in pro pool grows quickly, the Asian tournament scene might prove far more lucrative than it is today. If Asian prize funds were to grow to the point that an American would need only finish 25th to cover all expenses, it would lead to far greater participation among America's top pros. Yes, the growth in pool in Asia, oddly enough, is to the advantage of America's top pros, and could possibl make them more determined to further develop and refine their skills.

.... but if the game's economics remain unaltered globally, it's hard to see many American pros not named Shane busting their butts to reach a higher level of performance.

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I disagree. Pepsi is a company that is refined enough to study the income prospects of all investments they consider, whether it be in pool or anything else.

Pepsi is an investor in pool, and I appreciate them for it. I hope they benefited from their sponsorship of the US Open so that their sponsorship can grow. Pepsi is not, however, an angel as defined in my post. An angel, in the context of the TAR interview, is a business entity that will invest heavily in pool without carefully sizing up the income prospects.

Needless to say, Pepsi has deep pockets, but just as importantly, well-managed companies like Pepsi do not invest heavily in anything unless their projections show them that they can expect a good return on that investment.

Pool must, in the long-term, strive to demonstrate to potential sponsors that a heavy investment in pool can be justified. If it can't, only an angel would be a candidate for a large infusion of cash into our sport.

Nobody here knows who Pepsi paid money too . Mostly likely it was divided by several entities . The ESPN Asian sports network , Barry Berman , i'd guess Accu-Stats got a cut , or at least some video reproduction rights , and maybe someone else . First place money was reduced , so where was the benefit?

Promoters aren't doing things for fun , they want to make money , and some while promoting something they enjoy. I don't see any big tournaments in Europe , and the few that are there are funded by internet poker sites. What about they European players that live here ?

Guess Europe is in the same boat .

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Mark Griffin's idea of diverting some funds raised through amateur pool to finance greater participation of top American pros in overseas events is a good first step. I think this is the minimum we must do, for there is a danger that American poolplayers would, otherwise, lose visibility on the world pool stage.

I'm all for waving the flag and all but I can't agree that this is so important. Certainly, propping them up by diverting some monies from the league players is no kind of solution if the general health of the sport here does not engender professional excellence and visibility.

Lou Figueroa

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
...Guess Europe is in the same boat .

Some Europeans are, but the poolplayers of several nations, such as Germany and the Netherlands, get money from their national Olympic committees to help them when they participate in WPA sanctioned events. No Americans get this kind of funding.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm all for waving the flag and all but I can't agree that this is so important. Certainly, propping them up by diverting some monies from the league players is no kind of solution if the general health of the sport here does not engender professional excellence and visibility.

Lou Figueroa

I called Mark's idea a good first step, not a solution, and agree that unless the general health and image of the sport improves, tough times lie ahead.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Was there a point hidden in this post somewhere?

what is your 'call to action' with regards to addressing the recent decline in performance of US born players in world class pro pool events?

The problem isn't performance. It is awareness. American pool players don't get any air time on ESPN. There used to be much more airplay for American events displaying American pool excellence on ESPN. But since that has declined, awareness of American pool players has dropped off.

Women's billiards, specifically the WPBA, gets more exposure for their players through global broadcasts. When the women showcase their players, it generates spinoff advertising. Most notably Jennifer Barreta and her recent string of successes and notable publications, I think even a movie(straight to dvd, thats at least a C class actress).

But with the men, no organization is trying at the level the WPBA is. Dragon Promotions seems close but I consider them more of a billiard player support network, doing events and tournaments, than a content provider. The WPBA does events and tournaments but they also produce content for ESPN, they provide content and it gets aired on ESPN. The ABP is just trying to keep professional pool alive by creating standards, I wouldn't consider them anywhere near the level the WPBA is at. They are a workers union (not that there is anything wrong with it).

A "call to action" for a problem that doesn't exist is foolish. American male pool players are being passed over for more marketable female players. Does this mean American male players are declining no? It just means talking about them doesn't have the buzz it once did.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called Mark's idea a good first step, not a solution, and agree that unless the general health and image of the sport improves, tough times lie ahead.

I think this is the cart before the horse, but anywhos, could you please explain why this is so important in the first place to Joe Average Pool Player, whose monies are being diverted to send a handful of American pros to, let's say, China. What benefit will they ever see?

Lou Figueroa

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Buddy Hall put it best years ago in the TAR interview he did. In America no one involved with pool wants to put the rubber to the road.

No one.

On this very forum Bruce S. De Lis, Cocobolo Cowboy, did something for his local Boys and Girls Clubs by gathering donations to resupply their pool tables.

He and I both pleaded with people from around the country to do something similar in their communities. Did anything happen?

NO. Nothing, nada, nix.

People just want to TALK about what should be done as long as that talk is centered on the idea that SOMEONE ELSE should be doing it.

Yeah, Buddy did a lot for pool when he had a chance the last time US casinos took bets on pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think this is the cart before the horse, but anywhos, could you please explain why this is so important in the first place to Joe Average Pool Player, whose monies are being diverted to send a handful of American pros to, let's say, China. What benefit will they ever see?

Lou Figueroa

I can't, because it isn't. Still, it sounds like you are assuming that John Q Amateur is financing this, but it more likely comes off the top of BCAPL revenues.

lee brett

www.leebrettpool.com
Silver Member

No one.

NO. Nothing, nada, nix.

Jb - very true indeed. I have offered to cycle ( i aint fit trust me, but i will do it) from nyc to la to raise money to start an academy. It will also attract media attention to the game and who knows we may raise enough to help the game start its grass roots off. i cant do it on my own and would need people willing to help out, is anyone in?

This event would raise awareness in the media and raise the funds needed.

lee

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I don't see any big tournaments in Europe , and the few that are there are funded by internet poker sites. What about they European players that live here ?

Guess Europe is in the same boat .

http://www.eurotouronline.eu/

Europe has something the US hasnt had in forever. A legit pro tour. The problem is if you tried to run their model here you would get laughed out of town. In Europe pool is viewed as sport. In the U.S. pool is viewed as a way to make more money than you put in. Two completely different mindsets.

The days of the big added money pro tournaments in the US are numbered. I would be very surprised if there is more than one or two left in ten years. If you want to be a pro player in 2021 you are going to be playing in Asia.

The bottom line is that unless and until a model is created that funds itself the whole system is living on charity.