This area

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Received a great suggestion to create an area where room owners can discuss business amongst themselves.

Please refrain from posting in this area if you are not a room owner or at least a manager. If we have problems with non-room owners posting here, then we will have to limit access to this area.

Mike

MikeH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So no questions from potential room owners to current room owners/managers?

Would seem like that would be one of the big benefits of adding an area such as this.

Maybe I am wrong?

-Mike

PS - Great area to add by the way, nice to see new content or atleast new organization of content.

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
I would have to agree, I am interested in opening my own room in the future, and it would be great to get advice and find out what I need, what I should learn etc. etc.

I really think it is a bad idea to make some sections exclusive. I mean, it would be like making a section that only pro players can contribute to.

Flex

Banger
Silver Member
Good points, gentlemen. Although I don't expect to open a room, I am friends with several room owners/managers who are kind enough to fill me in on some of their dealings and business decisions. Should I refrain from sharing that kind of info on this forum?

Flex

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
There are several former room owners such as myself that can provide assistance in this forum. I hope I am understanding Mike correcty that this forum should remain on topic - not just be closed for non room owners.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
There are several former room owners such as myself that can provide assistance in this forum. I hope I am understanding Mike correcty that this forum should remain on topic - not just be closed for non room owners.

Good point. As a table mechanic I can also give advice to room owners on their tables. For example. DON'T USE BABY POWDER ON YOUR TABLES. Many room owners have failed to realize this. Baby powder has oil and traps chalk (Which is used a lot in pool halls) under the cloth so it can't come out. Use nothing but if you do use Talc.

And some advice to a local pool owner if they read this. TURN YOUR MUSIC DOWN PLEASE. I like music in the backround but it's hard to make a tricky shot with Metallica (Which I love) blasting in my ear. Or worse yet Pat Boone blasting in my ear. Especially on a shimmed table.

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Blackjack hit the nail on the head. I just don't want this area cluttered up by off topic posts.

Mike

Blackjack said:

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
great idea - we have many common concerns. Insurance and table time prices are two. Hope this forum is sucessful.
ken
Hard Times bellflower ca.

asiasdad

Banned
smittie1984 said:
And some advice to a local pool owner if they read this. TURN YOUR MUSIC DOWN PLEASE. I like music in the backround but it's hard to make a tricky shot with Metallica (Which I love) blasting in my ear. Or worse yet Pat Boone blasting in my ear. Especially on a shimmed table.

Smittie makes a great point here, and I believe the forum should be open so that the room owners could receive information such as this that could be beneficial to their business.

A local room owner asked me a few months ago why I thought his business was down 28% from the same month the previous year. I explained the 28% were the 40+ year olds that could not identify with the spoken word of inner city slang perpetrating the fraud of calling itself music at 100+ decibels. This additional noise was added to his jukebox system approximately 6 months previously.

Last edited:

iapoolguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WOW...
This should be a great forum....I belong to national pool assocation that does this also....If anyone needs info from Iowa I can help.
Terry
Miller Time Billiards
Davenport, Iowa
PS. Can we post tourney info here?

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Music level

I know its always a balance on the music level in our pool room. We placed the jukebox as far away from the One Pocket table as we could to limit the noise level. We usually keep the volume at a 4-6. Down lower in the daytime and up at night. Its a good level for most the songs on there. We will turn it up to 11 for Spinal Tap songs only.

SPECIAL NOTE...THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM. I AM REALLY EXCITED ABOUT IT AND HOPE ALL THE OWNERS/ MANAGERS/EMPLOYEES OF BILLIARD ROOMS ALL HAVE GREAT POSITIVE INPUT. MAKING ROOMS MORE PROFITABLE AND FUN WILL BENEFIT EVERYONE IN THE LONG RUN.
PS...I dont think it should ONLY be room owners. I think business professionals may be able to contribute greatly as long as people stay on the subject. Someone with computer experience may be able to give suggestions on mailing lists or computer programs for setting up data bases etc. An accountant may have great ideas on tax advantages for small business I might not know about. I have learned a lot from young and old, professionals and the novices. Lets keep it open to all genuine interested parties and try it out.

Last edited:

highrun55

can`t make a ball anymore
Silver Member
Another room owner on board

Great idea, hope I can learn some new stuff and help to with 13 years experience. I just need to keep my room. only have a month left on my lease and cant find suitable, affordable space.

the houseman/owner at d&d family billiards

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
highrun55 said:
Great idea, hope I can learn some new stuff and help to with 13 years experience. I just need to keep my room. only have a month left on my lease and cant find suitable, affordable space.

Don't know your area, but just wondering if you have look at industrial space as well. Hope you find something.

highrun55

Silver Member
lost lease

rackem said:
Don't know your area, but just wondering if you have look at industrial space as well. Hope you find something.

Yes I have checked evertyhing in my area for 20 miles away, all of them 2, 3, and 4 times the rent I pay.

Guess i`ll have to get a real job, LOL

Thanks

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
limen said:
We have been pulling for you. I hope you find something. I have enjoyed
your website and watching table 5!
I would like to know what is in the bottle that you spray on the tables
when cleaning them, it appears to be blue.
Thank you.
Can I get a link to the website you reference?

Padron

Pool room owner
Keeping a room

highrun55 said:

Best of luck in your hunt. I can somewhat empathise here. My landlord filed Chapter a couple months ago, and the bank might take over. We're the big tenant in a building that's split into several other businesses, so we're hoping to be able to work it out. Only been in business about one year, with no where else to move it to. Pulling for you.

-Dan-
www.greatlakesbilliards.com

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Good luck

highrun55 said:

I know here in St. Louis rental rates are really going up quickly. A local pool hall "Chesterfield Billiards" was rumored to have closed due to rates going up to $20,000+ per month. Hard to pay rent at $4.00/hr playing pool with that kind of overhead. Another friend of mine is opening a place and he will be paying big dollars too. I dont know how people can make it. I know that if our building was not paid off I would have shut down our billiard parlor years ago. Sad sign of the times.

highrun55

Silver Member
lost lease

highrun55 said:
Yes I have checked evertyhing in my area for 20 miles away, all of them 2, 3, and 4 times the rent I pay.

Guess i`ll have to get a real job, LOL

Thanks

Still waiting on a couple of call backs about spots, only have about 25 days left and then there will be an auction on sept 19th.

thanks for all the concern from you folks.

the houseman