Question on Predator ferrules

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Over the years I've experienced one Predator ferrule failure (cracked). I've consistently read about similar failures. My question is, why would you replace the ferrule with the same material that has failed? Yes, maintaining the LD properties of the shaft is ideal. But at the cost of reliability? I dont know the percentage of broken ferrules vs. the number that were produced. If it's low enough, i guess it would be ok to replace it with the same thing. But I'm just thinking out loud here.

Would a Saber-T ferrule be a suitable replacement?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Saber is very hard and heavy. It will likely crack if made as thin as Predator ferrules.
Mason micarta with carbon fiber backing is my suggestion.

WilleeCue

The Barefoot Cuemaker
Silver Member
I would answer ... for reason you would replace a tip that wears down fast with another one just like it.
You would replace a Predator ferrule with another one if you really liked the hit and performance of that ferrule material and wanted nothing to change,
If you were a serious player or gambler you would be wise to have a second shaft on hand ... as many do just in case of a failure.

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is always best to replace materials with the same, unless the customer wants to change for some reason. That being said, Tomahawk is an excellent material for the LD shafts. See DZ's ferrule weight comparison.

http://dzcues.com/ferrules_4.html