Ultra-informative+amusing 14-1 player-reviewed video. Both are 200+ ball runners

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw this video on Youtube, posted by AZB member Steve Kurtz.

Danny Barouty and Steve Lipsky -- both highly respected east coast Straight Pool champions -- recorded a casual match they played at NYC's Amsterdam Billiards Club. Both are 200+ ball runners so there are countless gems of playing wisdom throughout this enjoyable video.

After the match, they voiceover-ed highly instructive and informative commentary regarding their personal thought processes relating to shot choices, patterns, key balls, break ball techniques, perceived problems with rail & clustered balls, etc.

They're longtime close friends and there are many entertaining mutually-ribbing moments throughout the video:

https://tinyurl.com/ya7y5adz

Many thanks to Steve Kurtz -- a real friend of Straight Pool for uploading it to YT.

Enjoy.

Arnaldo

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm only 5 minutes in, but this is great!
As advertised :smile:
Glad you're enjoying it.

Incidentally, Danny Harriman's Straight Pool skills and Danny himself, are very well known to both of the players. He's very respectfully referred to at several points of this video.

Arnaldo

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the first miss of the match was the notorious ‘Brunswick Boomerang’ effect, where an OB shot straight in is spun back out of the hard plastic pocket liner. In almost 30 years of playing on Diamond tables with leather pockets, I don’t ever recall THAT happening. Balls shot hard in the corners at an angle, that bobble in the facings and come back out, are WAY too numerous to mention though.

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the first miss of the match was the notorious ‘Brunswick Boomerang’ effect, where an OB shot straight in is spun back out of the hard plastic pocket liner.

Do you have a time? I watched up until the first miss the other day, didn't notice that, That was the behind the rack break shot to start the 3rd rack. That one simply missed the pocket:
https://youtu.be/I9kKsicNpMQ?t=437 (7:17)

Anyway, thanks for posting the link, good stuff so far!

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have a time? I watched up until the first miss the other day, didn't notice that, That was the behind the rack break shot to start the 3rd rack. That one simply missed the pocket:
https://youtu.be/I9kKsicNpMQ?t=437 (7:17)

Anyway, thanks for posting the link, good stuff so far!

Ha. You are right (my bad). Only viewed it originally at normal speed (cellular data stream so reduced lately, no slow-mo maneuvering considered likely possible then), and since no bobble I merely assumed. Can see now it was never inside the point.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
no thanks

As advertised :smile:
Glad you're enjoying it.

Incidentally, Danny Harriman's Straight Pool skills and Danny himself, are very well known to both of the players. He's very respectfully referred to at several points of this video.

Arnaldo

I have already seen them play (both top shelf players) not going to sweat it just cause my name is mentioned - possible fake news - nice try. Stop spreading the news I'm staying away from the big apple nytimes fake news promotions for now.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have already seen them play (both top shelf players) not going to sweat it just cause my name is mentioned - possible fake news - nice try. Stop spreading the news I'm staying away from the big apple nytimes fake news promotions for now.

coo-cooooooooo

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I noticed the first miss of the match was the notorious ‘Brunswick Boomerang’ effect, where an OB shot straight in is spun back out of the hard plastic pocket liner. In almost 30 years of playing on Diamond tables with leather pockets, I don’t ever recall THAT happening. Balls shot hard in the corners at an angle, that bobble in the facings and come back out, are WAY too numerous to mention though.

To be quite honest I am not sure why Diamond tables are revered so much. It will reject very slight misses with the cut of the points and the deep shelf yet accept bigger misses. If I am being honest I think the decline of pool is in some small part related to the severity of the tables in most pool halls now a days. Just because the worlds elite can consistently run out on tight tables does not make it the right environment even for some A players and definitely not for the average person just wanting to have fun on a Friday or Saturday night.

Also the pool world would be better with a resurgence of straights in my view as well.