Keeping Ferrules Clean

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have just tried a new idea on some of my playing cues and it's working great. There is a ceramic coating manufactured by Mothers Auto Finishes called RMX Ceramic polish. After polishing ferrule I applied a light coating with a cotton swab and let it dry, then buffed and applied another coating and buffed again. Ferrules are staying cleaner than I have ever seen . Hope it helps someone , but it works well for me.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A number of players seem to have an issue with their ferrules getting discolored. Bottom line - if one learns to apply chalk correctly on their tip, your ferrule should never need to be cleaned.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have just tried a new idea on some of my playing cues and it's working great. There is a ceramic coating manufactured by Mothers Auto Finishes called RMX Ceramic polish. After polishing ferrule I applied a light coating with a cotton swab and let it dry, then buffed and applied another coating and buffed again. Ferrules are staying cleaner than I have ever seen . Hope it helps someone , but it works well for me.
I thinks its "CMX". https://mothers.com/collections/cmx

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
It really doesn't even matter if you apply chalk "incorrectly". Stop being lazy and just wipe off your ferrule at the end of your session when putting away your cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Magic eraser sheets are now available- small square moistened or dry will usually clean any ferrule.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really like the McDermott cue cleaning kit. Used in conjunction with an ivory ferrule and it’s even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toothpaste......cleans up ferrules and start doing it early before the stain leaves a hue even after removal.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep,it's CMX ,,and the idea is,,this is a coating that won't let the dust particles in,,along with,, I paint chalk onto my tips,,I don't grind the stuff in,,,,no matter what ya do there will be a bit of discoloration,,the hydrophobic materials that make the ceramic coatings so good , is that they actually work .The link below, will give an idea of how these materials protect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPM8OR6W6WE

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
You dare assume it's identity as white?

Some are mixed!

4539F5DC-A6C9-473F-9DAB-20FEE5E449F6.jpeg

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It really doesn't even matter if you apply chalk "incorrectly". Stop being lazy and just wipe off your ferrule at the end of your session when putting away your cue.

Sure - cleaning the ferrule will help. But using chalk that is too deep and using the incorrect “drilling” method of chalking WILL matter. Sounds like you don’t understand the correct method of chalking, because drilling can scratch and will discolor the ferrule.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wax (Mother's Pure Carnauba Wax) my ferrules along with my shafts (2 to 3 coats), wash my hands, hold my shaft at an angle when applying, and wipe off everything with a Selvyt microfiber cloth. Which is why I am so happy I can break out my Revo when I get tired of the above cleaning ritual.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Sure - cleaning the ferrule will help. But using chalk that is too deep and using the incorrect “drilling” method of chalking WILL matter. Sounds like you don’t understand the correct method of chalking, because drilling can scratch and will discolor the ferrule.

Good realistic post.

During the excessive/addictive play yrs, my play shafts (3) turned pure blue from of course, embedded MC & 30+ hrs of match play....weekly for decades.
I never/ever tried to remove/clean the blue/off, from within the grain along with my natural skin oil.
I felt, excessive cleaning too remove the blue, would open up the pores of the wood, too much....plus, why remove your hand oils....Oil helps cure/preserve wood.
I did wash my hands allot, and always put on hand cream excessively a day before an event, and always driving to one.

I never cleaned my ferrules, it's not something ''I'' ever look at when shooting, and it's not a distraction. I could care less.

If I did, I wasn't looking at the shot right, we all know what that does. :)

Have a great 4th.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice idea. Pretty easy to maintain after each session.
When I was able to play pool months ago before quarantine,
I'd always wipe my ferrule off with a moist napkin.
If that doesn't work, Mr. Clean magic eraser and water takes care of any residual once I'm back home.
The ferrule material on my cues are pretty hard, but the porous surface of my LBM and paper micarta ferrules
did need to be sealed to prevent chalk from collecting.
The cue makers used shaft sealer (thinned lacquer or CA) because sealing is the only way to keep those clean for any period of time.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
imo the 2 best pieces of advice in this thread were:

ChrisinNC: If you chalk properly you shouldn't have to clean your ferrule.

mikemosconi: Use Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I've received cues with ferrules that had the telltale chalk cube drilling ring and the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser got them looking like new in about 20 seconds.

best,
brian kc

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until and unless someone can explain the benefit of a clean ferrule I'll avoid cleaning it.