Playing shaft on a jump/break cue

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
Have you put on a playing shaft on a j/b cue and played with it regularly? What were you’re results? I’ve tried it on mine, and the balance was a bit off for playing. Not that I couldn’t get used to it if I had to though.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own a Gilbert J/B with two shafts- one is used for J/B with a white diamond tip. The other shaft has a ultraskin S tip and can be used for playing. This Gilbert J/B also has a built- in rear extension- I think this is a rare and very unique Gilbert J/B- the WHOLE package in ONE cue.

It is NOT my regular playing cue- but I have played with it using the playing shaft with the softer tip. it plays very, very well. Since I don't like hard playing tips, except for breaking, I would not play with a J/B if I only had one shaft for it.

gogg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ralph Ekert uses a combo like that as his “all inclusive “ as I call it.
Quick detach his break shaft, break, switch (mucho pronto) to his playing shaft, and if he needs to jump, the reverse with the cue broken down in the middle with THAT quick connection.
I really really like this approach, as it is dang near as fast as another cue to break and another to jump with.
Nice setup

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once had a McDermott stinger jump/break that also had a play shaft. For what it was, it was a pretty nifty one-size-fits-all combo...