Where to play in LA

rod in atl

Registered
I'll be in LA from Thursday-Sunday this week (sadly, for an uncle's funeral). Are there any good tourneys or pool rooms that I should check out on these days? I played at Hard Times when I was on vacation a couple months back during the day...didn't see much pool outside my own table.

I'd be happy to meet up with any AZB'ers for some drinks and light action.

Thanks,

Rod

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll be in LA from Thursday-Sunday this week (sadly, for an uncle's funeral). Are there any good tourneys or pool rooms that I should check out on these days? I played at Hard Times when I was on vacation a couple months back during the day...didn't see much pool outside my own table.

I'd be happy to meet up with any AZB'ers for some drinks and light action.

Thanks,

Rod

Whereabouts in So Cal are you going to be? If you're up in the Westside/Santa Monica area then you might want to check out the one pocket action at House of Billiards on Wilshire. Warning, it's cash only.

If you're in the South Bay (Torrance, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach) then go to Mr Lucky's on Hawthorne. They've got a REALLY competitive bar box (Diamond) 8 ball tournament on Saturday night. A nice beer selection on tap if you're into that kind of thing.

If you're down in the OC then Danny K's on Main St in Orange holds handicapped (game weight) 9 ball tourneys on Thursday and Saturday. Lots of projection screens if you're a sports fan.

Hard Times is holding the Tad Cup this weekend so you probably won't be able to get a table until late on Saturday and Sunday nights. As you probably remember, there's NOTHING to do at Hard Times (or in the surrounding neighborhood) if you're not playing pool or sweating the matches.

Taek

rod in atl

Registered
Thanks for the info, Taek.

I'll be staying with family in Carson, but I'll have a rental to get around.

What's the Tad Cup? A pro/open event? Maybe I'll spectate if I can't get in it.

Rod

ShanksMcShankly

Grid Lock
Silver Member
The Tad Cup is an amatuer event but there is always a strong field. I doubt you'd be able to get in unless you're already registered. There should be some good matches to sweat but unfortunately not too many options for pool in So-Cal...

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
Thanks for the info, Taek.

I'll be staying with family in Carson, but I'll have a rental to get around.

What's the Tad Cup? A pro/open event? Maybe I'll spectate if I can't get in it.

Rod

There's Manila Billiards in Carson on 307 E. Carson St. They have a Tuesday nite 9-ball tournament.

FatzBrown

Registered
Is that the old Rack 'em Billiards?

There's Manila Billiards in Carson on 307 E. Carson St. They have a Tuesday nite 9-ball tournament.

Is this the pool room by Omega Burger? I lived around the corner about 6 or 7 years ago...always seemed to be some action going there.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
Is this the pool room by Omega Burger? I lived around the corner about 6 or 7 years ago...always seemed to be some action going there.

It may have been Rack-em before - all I know is Manila Billiards just recently opened up. Omega Burger is about 4 blocks away.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Manila Billiards was Rack'em. Jimmy is the owner I believe.

If you wanna head north to Pasadena, I have a table and beer :)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I'm in town I go to Santa Monica Billiards or Plush Pocket in the Valley.

Except for the champions, everyone is scared to death to play anyone they don't know or they want so much weight you have no chance. I just spent most of the day at S.M.Billards and no one would play me. I play close to Danny's speed. He beat me once, the second time I won, the third time I was up a game he quit me. He wasn't stealing so he quit.

Doesn't anyone just was good even action?

Rant over.......

rod in atl

Registered
Looks like I'll have to stop in Manila Billiards one night, since its in Carson. The 8-ball tourney at Mr Lucky's on Saturday might be right up my alley. A trip up to Pasadena sounds good, too.

yelvis111

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like I'll have to stop in Manila Billiards one night, since its in Carson. The 8-ball tourney at Mr Lucky's on Saturday might be right up my alley. A trip up to Pasadena sounds good, too.

I've never been to Manila, but my friends tell me that they'll try to push you into fair action. It might be hard seeing that you're not a local. If you're an adventurous foodie, they have balut in the fridge there. Google it.

Taek

CanonShooter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Alex Riverside told me that that pool hall in Carson is action everyday. Big action on Fridays and Saturdays.... Nice Filipino name Dante bought it and re-opened it.

rod in atl

Registered
I've never been to Manila, but my friends tell me that they'll try to push you into fair action. It might be hard seeing that you're not a local. If you're an adventurous foodie, they have balut in the fridge there. Google it.

Taek

I'll definitely stop in there.

I've heard about it all my life from my uncles (I'm half-filipino), but I've never tried it.

demonrho

Registered Amuser
Silver Member
When I'm in town I go to Santa Monica Billiards or Plush Pocket in the Valley.

Except for the champions, everyone is scared to death to play anyone they don't know or they want so much weight you have no chance. I just spent most of the day at S.M.Billards and no one would play me. I play close to Danny's speed. He beat me once, the second time I won, the third time I was up a game he quit me. He wasn't stealing so he quit.

Doesn't anyone just was good even action?

Rant over.......

That's kind of funny because you play at least 2 balls better than Danny yet he was man enough to try you with no spot till it was obvious he didn't stand a chance. On the other hand, one of the better players at "S.M.Billiards" graciously gave you 9/7 and you cried for more weight every game.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
I think I mixed you up...I'll be coming into LA later this week, from 8/8-8/11 (Thursday-Sunday).

Manila Billiards is definitely on the radar, as is Hard Times, or maybe Mr Lucky's for the 8-ball tourney.

As for balut, I came across a blog where the person described eating it for the first time. I don't know that I'm gutsy enough...literally!!! Here's the blog - http://www.deependdining.com/2005/09/balut-egg-of-darkness-pinoy-pinay.html

Rod

Rod

Hey man, they serve that Balut in those eat gross stuff challenges on shows like Survivor and that looks none too appetizing.

Kevin

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's kind of funny because you play at least 2 balls better than Danny yet he was man enough to try you with no spot till it was obvious he didn't stand a chance. On the other hand, one of the better players at "S.M.Billiards" graciously gave you 9/7 and you cried for more weight every game.

You should lay off the California Cigaweed.

Rich gave me 10/7. I won one game every five. I quit around $200 down. So yea, I think I needed more weight.

I might be better than Danny but he did beat me once. We are around even on the money won/lost. My high game is pretty high, but my low end is equally bad. I lost on a bad night and won on a good night. If I knew I was on a good night I'd give Danny 9/7. He doesnt need to go around and tell people I'm some champ when I loose to all the better players. Hell, the last two times I went to plush pocket I got run over.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To add to what jtompilot said...He is a nice guy, works a full time job, loves to play, loves to gamble, and plays pretty well, due to his own hard work. He doesn't whine or complain, is not a locksmith, and is always just looking for a fair game, wherever he travels. Like many have noted, action anywhere is not as easy to come by as it was 20-30 yrs ago. Keep having fun Jim! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com