Gold Crown 3 Face Lift

coryjames

Registered
Take a look at my table in my profile, if you like the way mine turned out when I stained it I can dig up the stain that I used. I tried at 10 different shades/tints/brands before I found one that I thought matched the rails good. It will look slightly different on the legs than the rail blinds. The blinds are Maple, the leg sides Poplar, center is plywood, not sure which species.

Is the only mica on the top cap of the rail? Is the rest of the table wood ,that is sand-able?im looking for a gold crown and would love to sand and stain it. Just not to sure if there are different models. Thought I have heard there are rosewood models?

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Table

Is the only mica on the top cap of the rail? Is the rest of the table wood ,that is sand-able?im looking for a gold crown and would love to sand and stain it. Just not to sure if there are different models. Thought I have heard there are rosewood models?

-

I've heard of other color finishes but I think they are after market or custom order.
I used to work for a brunswick dealer and the only options we had for the GC3 was black or rosewood and when the GC4 came out the only option I seen was black or mahogany.

Rob.M

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

My GCII is what Brunswick called Rosewood. The 3 different brands of Rosewood stain I tried did not come close to matching. I think I tried almost 15 different color/manufacturer combos before I found stain to match good. I have seen some horrible stain jobs where the stain wasn't even close to matching, I did not want to add to that list with my table.
Only the rails are Formica, the rail blinds are Maple, the ball box and the sides of the legs are poplar. The Maple I had to do a lot of prep work to get it to absorb stain, I think in the end I finish sanded with either 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and that seemed to do the trick. Finish the poplar in 220 so the stain will not soak in so easy and you should be able to get everything to match. Let me know if you have any other questions. The Brunswick paint will be tough to sand off, expect that to take some time, it took me quite awhile using an air powered DA, not sure what Brunswick used but it is some tough stuff, not latex.

coryjames

Registered
-

I've heard of other color finishes but I think they are after market or custom order.
I used to work for a brunswick dealer and the only options we had for the GC3 was black or rosewood and when the GC4 came out the only option I seen was black or mahogany.

Rob.M

Thanks helps narrow the search

coryjames

Registered
My GCII is what Brunswick called Rosewood. The 3 different brands of Rosewood stain I tried did not come close to matching. I think I tried almost 15 different color/manufacturer combos before I found stain to match good. I have seen some horrible stain jobs where the stain wasn't even close to matching, I did not want to add to that list with my table.
Only the rails are Formica, the rail blinds are Maple, the ball box and the sides of the legs are poplar. The Maple I had to do a lot of prep work to get it to absorb stain, I think in the end I finish sanded with either 80 or 100 grit sandpaper and that seemed to do the trick. Finish the poplar in 220 so the stain will not soak in so easy and you should be able to get everything to match. Let me know if you have any other questions. The Brunswick paint will be tough to sand off, expect that to take some time, it took me quite awhile using an air powered DA, not sure what Brunswick used but it is some tough stuff, not latex.

Perfect so to make a table look "better" the whole table could be sanded and then just the top formica could remain or possibly redone with a nicer wood grain.

Thanks guys and sorry for the thread jack!