question about installing new facings

nineballsafety8

6ft 5" 285, hits 'em hard
Silver Member
So, I am getting ready to buy a new house, and this means moving my table YET AGAIN. Since this is the third home for the table in less than 18 months, I decided I am going to go ahead and do what I want this time, as it should be its permanent home.

I have read through ALOT of stuff in this section, and as much as I would like to have my rails calibrated, and pockets adjusted etc... time and money don't allow quite that much going into the table.

So the plan is to do a recover, and doctor up the pockets the best that I can without a full on surgical procedure.

The table is an 8' Fisher Elayna, and has what I would consider "bigger" pockets with unfriendly angles. I have not actually measured the pocket angles, but the are rather obtuse. If I had to make a guess, I am thinking they are in the 144 to 145 range (ugh), and the point to point measurement on the corners is 4.75"

As I am not going to actually change the pocket angles, and the rails have stock rubber on them... it is my plan to use the neoprene facings to address some of the nasty rattle that such pockets have.

My question is about what the best method for doing such a thing. I am not replacing the rubber, and did not know whether it would be better to try to remove the factory 1/8" facings (and risk tearing up the rubber), or whether I could get away with putting the neoprene facings on top of the factory installed facings?

What would be the pros and cons of either option... and if both are "DON"T DO THAT" options, should I just suck it up and leave the rails as is and just do a recover?

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
forgot to add

before it is mentioned... yes the intention is to tighten the pockets up with thicker facings, so the added facing thickness is no concern, it is actually wanted

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facings

If you are already unhappy with the way the pockets play, all tightening them with the same angles is going to do is Piss you off. When you start missing balls that you know you hit good, or need to hit with some speed to go 3 rails for tough shape you get there with the Cue ball but rattle the object ball because the pocket angles are all wrong. Just my .02

PHJ

Last edited:

nineballsafety8

Silver Member
I actually put a tape measure on the pockets yesterday, and my 4.75" initial guess was certainly off by a fair margin.

They are 5 1/8" pockets... RIDICULOUS

and I have some regular table time on diamonds, and can get out on a 9 foot diamond easier than I can on this 8 footer.

In 20 racks against the ghost, I estimate at least 3 racks better on a 9 foot diamond over this 8 foot bucket pocket table