Furniture table vs commercial table

coryjames

Registered
Can a high end furniture table be made to play as well as a gold crown or diamond?

Why? Weight? Can more wood not be added to the frame?

Rails? Can mark or glen or another pro update them?

What is it?

coryjames

Registered
image.jpg

Like this

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
The frame looks pretty sturdy for a retail table, its also nice that it is made from solid wood and not press board, but it is still kind of light weight compared to a Gold Crown. I think the real area of concern is the rails and the pocket cut outs in the slate. If you tighten the pockets up you will lose pocket shelf depth. If the table has wide pockets and a shallow depth you may not be able to tighten the pockets much. This is one of the areas I would check first. It looks like a nice frame to me though.

picture.php

picture.php

coryjames

Registered
I do see a difference obviously the gc has more beef. That could easily be added to this table.

So maybe the mass of the rails makes it inferior ?

9-ball B

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can a high end furniture table be made to play as well as a gold crown or diamond?

Why? Weight? Can more wood not be added to the frame?

Rails? Can mark or glen or another pro update them?

What is it?

By the time you get done with everything to get it to play better, you will have spent more money than if you had just went out and bought a Diamond or Gold Crown. You will never get that money back out of it if you ever try to sell it either.

coryjames

Registered
But it will look better and gold crowns are older beat up and on the uglier side. No offence I'd take one and still planning on buying one, just if I could make a better looking table play 90-95% as good as a gc or diamond why not.

coryjames

Registered
Not like some heavy wood is that expensive to reinforce the frame. I want to know what makes a table awesome. I know setup is huge but what is needed to make them close to even?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
But it will look better and gold crowns are older beat up and on the uglier side. No offence I'd take one and still planning on buying one, just if I could make a better looking table play 90-95% as good as a gc or diamond why not.

I find this an odd statement because many people like the look of the Gold Crowns. I think both the Gold Crown and the commercial Diamonds are great looking tables, if fact even better looking than most furniture tables. An Anniversary is an absolutely gorgeous looking table, the finest in existence. To me, what I think is unattractive about just about every furniture table is that the rails are too skinny, and they narrow even more as they get to the pocket.
Back to your original question, I don't think you need to worry about the frame that much, it really won't affect how the table plays. Rather you need to look at your rails to see if it is even possible to make it a better playing table.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Not like some heavy wood is that expensive to reinforce the frame. I want to know what makes a table awesome. I know setup is huge but what is needed to make them close to even?

Look at the differences between the two tables in the pictures. The furniture
style table has individual standing legs bolted on the four ends of the frame.

The Gold Crown has two pedestals with four feet mounted below them. The
pedestals are both bolted with 5/8 bolts in four places into the leg stretcher.

Stand the individual furniture legs up and they will fall over like bowling pins.
Stand the pedestals up with the stretcher and you can have a party on them.

That's just the base of the table.. now compare the GC frame. That is bolted
down through the pedestals, not into the top of some individual standing legs.
Now compare the wood backed slates and the rail width. The GC is built solid.

I'd rather buy a used Gold Crown that's a pool table, not just pretty furniture.

coryjames

Registered
I hear ya guys and the anniversary is the nicest table. Just out of my range and they never come up for sale here.

So it must come down to the rails , the size weight / mass. A beefy stand is just that, a beefy stand and I don't think the one I'm looking at is lacking in that area.

The rails must be the answer to a more solid playing table.

Thanks fastone

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic but try this test ... stack a roll of quarters anywhere on the table and give a "modest" shake to the table and see if they stay stacked.