Tomahawk Black ferrule material

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I now have approximately 1 foot of the Tomahawk material in black, in stock. The dimensions, and pricing be the same as the regular white material, until September.
My thanks to all.
Joe P.

Last edited:

wabelly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
tomahawk black ferrule material

Iwill take 2 feet. send payment info. zip code 29625

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have some comming in the mail tomorrow, stay tuned for pictures :)

Thank you Kim. Hope you got your material, can't wait to see your photos, and hear your thoughts. :cool:
Best regards.
Joe P.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys got some black Tomahawk today..
Didn't have time to install a ferrule today, but I took a quick picture, that shows the material before and after turning.
Hope that helps :)
[/IMG]

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi guys got some black Tomahawk today..
Didn't have time to install a ferrule today, but I took a quick picture, that shows the material before and after turning.
Hope that helps :)
[/IMG]

From gun metal grey to rifle black indeed. Thank you for the pic Kim. :wink: :cool:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
4.5 of Black in stock. :cool:
Regards.
j2

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I promised to make a little review on this version on Tomahawk too so here it is :rolleyes:

I received the material a few days ago and made a ferrule out of it yesterday.
First impression was a little mixed, the colour of material is very gray, not black like Juma rods are even before taking a cut. I was sure that it would clean up nice when turned and polished and so it does. It cuts pretty much exactly like the white Tomahawk does, no surprise there. The interesting part working with the black version is making it shine. It takes a bit of patience to get all the tool marks out and a polishing compound is a must have if you want a glass like finish. I used Mirka Polarshine for final polishing as it is the best finishing compound that I have come across for ferrule jobs. I found this material a little tougher to polish than for example black Juma is. It takes a while to get all the little scrathes polish off. Its not necessary to make a ferrule look like a mirror but I wanted to try how well I am able to make it shine. Later on this post is a close up picture of the finished ferrule with a red pad and a pressed Elkmaster installed. Thats how I was able to make it look, there are still tiny imperfections but those are invisible unless looked up on under bright lights and up close.

Oversize ferrule waiting for the glue to set.

And the results. Ready to play, Pressed Elkmaster with a red fiber pad put on.

And to for those interested, a short video showing the cutting properties of this material. Excuse the shaky camerawork and horrible audio, I ran out of hands trying to hold the camera with one hand while making the ferrule with the other :smile:

https://youtu.be/Trpbl66lH-I

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I promised to make a little review on this version on Tomahawk too so here it is :rolleyes:

I received the material a few days ago and made a ferrule out of it yesterday.
First impression was a little mixed, the colour of material is very gray, not black like Juma rods are even before taking a cut. I was sure that it would clean up nice when turned and polished and so it does. It cuts pretty much exactly like the white Tomahawk does, no surprise there. The interesting part working with the black version is making it shine. It takes a bit of patience to get all the tool marks out and a polishing compound is a must have if you want a glass like finish. I used Mirka Polarshine for final polishing as it is the best finishing compound that I have come across for ferrule jobs. I found this material a little tougher to polish than for example black Juma is. It takes a while to get all the little scrathes polish off. Its not necessary to make a ferrule look like a mirror but I wanted to try how well I am able to make it shine. Later on this post is a close up picture of the finished ferrule with a red pad and a pressed Elkmaster installed. Thats how I was able to make it look, there are still tiny imperfections but those are invisible unless looked up on under bright lights and up close.

Oversize ferrule waiting for the glue to set.

And the results. Ready to play, Pressed Elkmaster with a red fiber pad put on.

And to for those interested, a short video showing the cutting properties of this material. Excuse the shaky camerawork and horrible audio, I ran out of hands trying to hold the camera with one hand while making the ferrule with the other :smile:

https://youtu.be/Trpbl66lH-I

Thank you Kimmo. Awesome job.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, it was a pleasure working with this material and showing its properties to other interested parties :)

I left a crucial part of that review unspoken for at my initial post. How does it play? I left that out as I didnt have enough table time with it yet. I played a long training session with a good friend of mine today and here are our toughts on it.

First of all the Elkmaster had to go. Neither of us really like tips that soft and I ended up changing it to a Moori J tip to get a real feel for the shaft. I went on to play some with it and I must admit that I didnt expect to see much of an improvement on hit compared to Juma that I have always liked a lot for ferrules and had on this particular shaft before. But boy was I surprised on how nice and crisp the hit feels now. The hit is now somewhat like my Barnhart actually wich is a lot said for a cheap LD shaft that costs around hundred bucks :wink: With the Moori and Tomahawk the hit feels crisp, direct and very responsive. My friend agreed on the verdict. He could not believe how much the HXT shaft has improved from its original state. From mediocre to great feeling shaft, with a simple ferrule job and a nice tip. Money well spent I'd say ;)
Overall I am more than pleased about this stuff, its great and definitely worth the price.
I use Tomahawk exclusively on my own equipment that has had their ferrules changed and I even changed the ferrule on a new 314'2 I got for the Barnhart recently. Better feel and looks without sacrificing any structual strength or playing characteristics so in my opinion it was worth changing, even though the original ferrule was still intact.

Thank you j2pac for supplying us with the material :cool:

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Z2 with black Tomahawk ferrule.
I use 1200/2500/4000 wet sanding and 3M fine and 3M ultra fine polish.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Z2 with black Tomahawk ferrule.
I use 1200/2500/4000 wet sanding and 3M fine and 3M ultra fine polish.

A real black beauty there Kim. Excellent work. It has been a sincere pleasure serving this material up to the community. My thanks to all the cuemakers and repairmen who are enjoying this product. I appreciate all of the positive feedback.
Best regards.
Joe P.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pending inventory

I have 1 foot of black left til the after the September price increase.
My thanks to all. :cool:
Joe P.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Out of stock til September.

I will have a limited supply of black available the first week of September. The new prices are posted in the original Tomahawk thread.
Thank you. :cool:
Joe P.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
3 feet in stock, unspoken for. New prices applicable. Ready to ship Friday.
Regards.
Joe P.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm crap at taking pictures. I can swear these looked good when I took them.
This is the black material, as turned and then polished with some Autosol metal polish.
Neil

Attachments

• Tomahawk-As-turned-1.jpg
    Tomahawk-As-turned-1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 358
  • Tomahawk-polished-2.jpg
    Tomahawk-polished-2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 358

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm crap at taking pictures. I can swear these looked good when I took them.
This is the black material, as turned and then polished with some Autosol metal polish.
Neil

Thank you for posting these Neil. Hope you are enjoying the material.
Regards.
Joe P.