Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Aiming Conversation
Reload this Page Splitting The Difference Aiming System
Page 18 of 18 « First 8161718

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#256)
usmcss
AzB Bronze Member
usmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond reputeusmcss has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-19-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirza View Post
What SpiderWebComm is describing is a bit different then Mike's system.

Mike is pivoting to outer quarter/outer edge ON THE OB from center/outer quarter of the OB.

And he also says that he isn't using outside english, so he must move the cue at the bridge hand also...
It's a little confusing to me what Mike is doing. So Mike's method is Aiming on the OB only? Or is he splitting the difference on the OB aim point and the QB strike point? What confuses me is when he shows his method on the OB in the video, he shows the 50% mark on the OB and then he splits the difference ether right 75% or left 25% on the OB.

Then he goes back to the QB and lines up to 50% and pivots to ether 75% or 25%. But when he's doing this is he just changing his Aiming point on the OB again from 50% to 75% or 25%, or is he changing the strike point on the QB from 50% to ether 75% or 25%?

I was just changing my strike point on the QB from 50% which is lined up with the OB center to center, to 75% or 25% without even considering the aiming point on the OB and I am making the shot consistently. The only problem with the way I am doing it is I would have no control over the QB placement. That is why I think Mike has to be mainly focused on splitting the difference on the aiming point of the OB.

Hope I am making some type of sense!!!

Pivot or not
Old
  (#257)
skipbales
AzB Silver Member

skipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond reputeskipbales has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Pivot or not - 07-25-2019, 04:24 PM

I have been playing with this a little and applaud Mike and Ken for bringing a new approach to it aiming to the table.

I too have a problem with a pivot that does not move off center. It is a pivot or it isn't and it is a shift or it isn't. I think the problem is in a pro explaining things he does by instinct in mechanical terms. Since the pivots are small the idea that you are still hitting through the center is a relative term. Maybe still vertical center but a backhand pivot moves the cue tip off center on the horizontal plane. But Mike may not be doing a backhand pivot. He may also be slightly adjusting the front hand so it is more of a shift.

He says there is no English on the ball but any way I try to do as described I get a little Back hand English. I have no idea how you can move only the back hand and yet stay horizontally centered on the cue ball.

I am having fun experimenting with it. The slight adjustments don't add a lot of spin and I can live with the tiny bit they do. Of course your head does not move with the pivot so you are still looking at the center of the cue ball. Maybe that is what others mention. He shifts the cue with back hand then leans a little with the pivot to look down the new line and hits straight. That sounds most like he describes but he doesn't mention the upper body shift in the direction of the pivot.

Page 18 of 18 « First 8161718

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: