I'M Crushed and destroyed by USPS

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad to hear you avoided the worst. Look forward to seeing them when possible.
I've been a pvc convert for quite some time, too.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Correct

I bought FED EX insuranceand shipped a knife to a guy for the purchase price of $3800. FED Ex destroyed it be cracking the MOP handle. They denied the claim saying a knifeworth that much was collectable and they do not insure collectables. Read the fine print. I was pissed

I was told the same thing by a very very reputable Cue maker that Fed Ex would not pay out the claims , the ins. cost we pay is a waste of $. No matter the cost of the cue I still insure it but only for $1000, my thinking is maybe the person handling it may be a little careful with it. I have received and shipped a lot cues and prefer Fed Ex so far no horror stories but I am a nervous wreck until everything is delivered.

Russell Cues

Maverick Cue Builder
Silver Member
I wrap the cue in bubble wrap, drop.that in a stiff cardboard tube then drop that in pvc. Thn it goes in the nice triangle pos from usps to ship.

RascalDoc

RascalDoc
Silver Member
triangle

I guessw I have been fortunate. I've used triangle boxes for years without having a problem. LOTS of bubble wrap and packing. Popcorn, whatever I have handy. Time to change.

I recently got a cue packaged the best I've ever seen. Came from Idaho, if that gives a clue. Alex if I remember his given name correctly.Wrapped, taped, tubed, and boxed.

pickngrin

You just ruined my day. I have a shaft that's due to be delivered tomorrow and I'm having nightmares thinking about what shape it'll arrive in.

QB Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schedule 40 pvc tubing is the only way to go....!!!! It might weigh a little more, and cost a little extra to ship, however the peace of mind knowing that the cue arrives safely is well worth it....!!!!!!
...QBall...
QB Custom Cues
www.qbcustomcues.com

itzel0101

buyselltradecues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shaft

This is what I got from the post office yesterday :angry:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 333

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PVC pip with every cue (then pipe goes in the triangular boxes) for me also. I cap the ends and tape them up as well to try and prevent water damage. I have gotten a box of wood in the mail that was totally soaked when for some reason the box was either submerged or left in a downpour.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Hate to say it but most shipments make it to the destination OK, so when s*** happens this is a good time to remember why you fully insured the shipment.

Yes the USPS, or other carriers do make boo boos.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Schedule 40 pvc tubing is the only way to go....!!!! It might weigh a little more, and cost a little extra to ship, however the peace of mind knowing that the cue arrives safely is well worth it....!!!!!!
...QBall...
QB Custom Cues
www.qbcustomcues.com

agreed 1000%

just some fyi> there is pvc available, that's much lighter than sch 40 .
cellular core or commonly called "foam core". helluva lot cheaper. plenty strong enough

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear this.. I just shipped a lambros and wrapped it in a shit ton of bubble wrap and was relieved when he got it in perfect condition. I would continue to use usps. over all there service..shit happens in this world unfortunately. when you think about how many packages they ship to how man get damaged it will put it in perspective.

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
I can fix that, if needed.

The "pieces" had to be turned in to the post office during the insurance claim process.After many months of daily phone calls,and providing proof of value,and proof of purchase,etc they finally agreed to pay the claim.The claim was on it's way to a 3rd party Government Accounting Office,for them to determine the value.It was a very bad experience.Now I use a PVC tube,a case, or I go to UPS and I let them pack and ship.When you ship with UPS the insurance ONLY works if they pack it! It is VERY expensive.Thanks for your interest and have a great day.
Marc

ratcues

No yodeling, please.
Silver Member
The "pieces" had to be turned in to the post office during the insurance claim process.After many months of daily phone calls,and providing proof of value,and proof of purchase,etc they finally agreed to pay the claim.The claim was on it's way to a 3rd party Government Accounting Office,for them to determine the value.It was a very bad experience.Now I use a PVC tube,a case, or I go to UPS and I let them pack and ship.When you ship with UPS the insurance ONLY works if they pack it! It is VERY expensive.Thanks for your interest and have a great day.
Marc

I have some insight into shipping companies since I work for the one of the largest ones in the industry. "Insufficient packing" is the most common response when filing a claim. I see hundreds of triangle, rectangle, tubes, etc each year. Most are strong enough to withstand the abuse IF they are properly packed on the inside. Stuffing a few sheets of newspaper is not enough.

There have been some good ideas in this thread. I advise a tube with a 1/4" wall thickness. PVC is pretty cheap, as mentioned, especially when shipping a high dollar cue. The tubes sold at USPS are crap. UPS and FedEX triangles are good but not perfect.