Do you find a correlation of bridge type as to shaft diameter???

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always prided myself on my closed bridge. I'm ambidextrous, double jointed and in general, just plain dextrous.

Over the past month or so I've become increasingly less comfortable when using my closed bridge with my 12.75mm 314/2. I have experienced no weight loss, and at 20/25 my corrected eyesight with a new RX is as good as it's going to get. I temporarily switched to a 13mm and it just seems so much more natural with my closed bridge. The brand, or LD is not relevant as I'm speaking only of my overall bridge feeling or comfort and my ease of shot making with the larger shaft when using a closed bridge.

I'm temporarily going to a style of open bridge which I found quite prevalent amongst many top caliber players. I use the 2nd knuckle of my middle and ring finger to support the center of the bridge, and extend my index and little finger out to c. 85*. At this point, I'm sensing that my shot making accuracy and feel or touch are all improving or becoming more sensitive.

With the open bridge, shaft diameter, and shaft diameter alone, just seem irrelevant. I'm also highly sensitive to any shaft dings, chalk particles, or the variables of hand cleanliness with regards to friction and these are distinctly less of an issue, or even a non issue, with the open bridge.

So have I inadvertently stumbled upon my natural inclination as to bridge type, or is this something I should check, as it might prove in the long run to be detrimental to my game? I initially thought I'd be lifting up on the more powerful stokes, but this so far has not proven to be the case.

I've always marveled at how our European friends take charge of the Green Mile of Snooooker quite handily with the open bridge. I shoot straight 14.1 exclusively on a 9' table.

This may well be an "If it feels good, do it" thread, but for the moment I'm totally concerned; dare I say perplexed as to how I should proceed.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always prided myself on my closed bridge. I'm ambidextrous, double jointed and in general, just plain dextrous.

Goo post, Bob.
The obvious answer: do whatever bridge feels comfortable, get used to it and
utilize it on an as-needed basis.
It never hurts to have a few bridges in one's arsenal.

Maybe the not-so-obvious answer: the game has "shifted" from less of a power
game to a more finesse game. This allows many-a-closed bridge to be quite
effective and sufficient. An open bridge seems to be the more "comfortable" technique
for pros and amateurs alike.

I imagine your break still includes the closed bridge?

I prefer various open bridges (in regular play) myself.
Closed bridges "conceal" part of the cue;
I like to be able to see the stick go to (and through) my appropriate target.

Hope my input adds some value to your OP.

Last edited:

MGM3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaft

May want to look into a Predator Fat shaft..... Sounds like it may be the best of both worlds for you. Just a thought.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
With the open bridge, shaft diameter, and shaft diameter alone, just seem irrelevant. I'm also highly sensitive to any shaft dings, chalk particles, or the variables of hand cleanliness with regards to friction and these are distinctly less of an issue, or even a non issue, with the open bridge.
An open bridge offers many advantages. The complete list can be found on the open vs. closed bridge resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Bob 14:1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Three great perspectives on what I knew beforehand would be pretty difficult question to answer!

Goo post, Bob.
The obvious answer: do whatever bridge feels comfortable, get used to it and
utilize it on an as-needed basis.
It never hurts to have a few bridges in one's arsenal.

Maybe the not-so-obvious answer: the game has "shifted" from less of a power
game to a more finesse game. This allows many-a-closed bridge to be quite
effective and sufficient. An open bridge seems to be the more "comfortable" technique
for pros and amateurs alike.

I imagine your break still includes the closed bridge?

I prefer various open bridges (in regular play) myself.
Closed bridges "conceal" part of the cue;
I like to be able to see the stick go to (and through) my appropriate target.

Hope my input adds some value to your OP.

That's rather close to where my decision making process has led me. I do appreciate my index finger not segmenting my line of sight, and I'm also enjoying a greater sensation of feel. Thank you for reinforcing my thoughts.

May want to look into a Predator Fat shaft..... Sounds like it may be the best of both worlds for you. Just a thought.

Next month when funds become available, I'm leaning towards ordering an OB-XL Plus in 13.25 mm. Great minds think alike!

An open bridge offers many advantages. The complete list can be found on the open vs. closed bridge resource page.

Enjoy,
Dave

Dave, as expected, a rigorous and substantiated analysis. Even though my daughter got her PhD. from the University of Colorado at Boulder, your arch rivals, you can always be relied upon as a great, straight forward and thoughtful source for guidance. All AZ'ers should be very grateful. I was indeed remiss for not consulting your site beforehand...

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of the shafts for my cues are 12.7 to 13mm. and at that size, a closed bridge still feels best.
There are some shots I play using an open bridge but with smaller shafts, like 12.5mm or smaller
just feel a wee bit loose in a closed bridge versus an open bridge. With smaller shafts like that, I'd
still use a closed bridge some of the time but an open bridge a lot more often. I'm almost 70 years.
old and I find my fingers and hand flexibility isn't what it used to be like 15-20 years ago.

Matt B.