Corner Pocket Billiards, Fort Lauderdale FL

Pleinairrider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sports three 3c table a couple of 8' and a few 9' Brunswick tables. I didn't take an official count. You dont jump balls and you break with a piece of cloth. Smoke free with a nice selection of beer and some really cool pool memorabilia with signed photos from the usual suspects and then some. One of the owners, John Forrest is a 68 year young man who is an absolute gentleman and savage cueist! He treated me amazingly well. I almost had to insist three times with my tip on the tab - I always tip! He took notice of my McD aluminum case and we started talking shop...including how he played Alex P at the Open only to loose 8-11! It felt so good to be at a proper pool hall being ran by the real deals.

I played on a 9' Brunswick with "Z9 Cloth" which is made by Germany. Never heard of this cloth but it played really well - fast. I was planning on going back and take some good photos but I ran out of time.

Corner Pockets felt like and Im really going to miss this place. A must if you are in the Fort Lauderdale area.

518 E Oakland Park Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33334

Last edited:

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Great room and even better owners. Quite, clean, non-smoking, well kept equipment, room.

Actually the owner you mention is John Foster, one hell of a nice guy and a real good player. Other two owners, Warren and Brady are also gems. Every now and then some well known players will drop by to say hello (won't mention any names). For the life of me I cannot remember whether they have 9 or 10, 9' Gold Crowns even though I've been going there, including the old location, since arriving in FL. Prices are reasonable and open seven days.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Tom Wirth worked there for years before the trio bought it. Was the only non smoking place around for many years

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Wirth worked there for years before the trio bought it. Was the only non smoking place around for many years
I’ve been going there on and off for 20 years and never knew Tom worked there. Great room but action was pretty sparse. When I wanted for sure action I called in Tom or Rob Melrose. One day when no one wanted to play I tried some 3C. Great room

Rusty in Montana

For what it's worth I for one certainly miss the Corner Pocket Billiards Lounges at one time there were quite a few scattered throughout Montana and Wyoming. I've heard of some in Florida and one in Las Vegas .
I've not seen George Frank in year's and Frank McGowan passed away a few year's ago .
I liked the gold colored cloth on the tables also .
Allan