Scam or Honest Mistake?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK then I'll take that at face value.

My issue is I would have looked into it a little further and asked for an explanation before suspecting fraud.

I could see your concern if the OP outed the mechanic in question but he didn't. He simply asked for an opinion based on facts without naming names.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kinda like the guy on eBay selling custom made cues using pictures of
other makers cues.. "oh, that's a nice pic, I'll use that for my site!"

Scam, say I .

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is like the RKC thread. Missing moral fiber is at the core. Only in the pool world does a business take the work (photo) of another, use it as a representation of their own, and not expect to be called on it. Then others step in saying what great work they do and forgive the SCAM. That's what it is.

If this other mechanic is so damn good he should use photos of his own work, period. Stop posting excuses.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
The last I'll say on it. First, there is a graphic shown, with a business name on it. The OP did not mention him by name, but someone else opened that can of worms. The mechanic in question, said in no uncertain terms did he say that the OP's table was his work. He went on Google and found an image and showed whoever he was talking to what it would look like. Since that person asked him. I was not there, that is from the other person in the conversation, nor was the OP BTW.

Lastly, he likes to take GC's and make them black, or brown like a GC III, that is what is his restorations become.

In one of his auctions dated prior to this conversation, he says the table pictured is not the being offered, but will look identical. If he warns someone about the pics in his auctions, what makes anyone think that he would try to pass off other work as his own?

JV

Tablemaker

Registered
I know Carl personally. I'm sure it was an honest mistake. Here is some of his work.

Attachments

• Blue GC.jpg
    Blue GC.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Fire GC.jpg
    Fire GC.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 220
  • black Ann.jpg
    black Ann.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 221

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does all the restoration himself. Strips, paints, etc.. He works out of his garage and basement, chances are he cannot reset it up for pics. I am not making excuses for him, I am just saying that is how he works. So I am not justifying using other peoples pics, just giving you insight.

If its Sloezen Billiards, he is legit. Everyone in North Jersey knows Karl, he is not hard to find.

JV

I once saw Karl run a 208 on a shimmed table and miss on a skid. He asked me to play first (for nothing) and i said no as i knew i wouldn't be shooting much. Another guy jumped up and said sure, I'll play some. I think he got one shot and missed and then racked the rest of the time.

Last edited:

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see this being done quite often with just about anything being sold. One of my hobbies is restoring old Lawnboy mowers and I can't tell you how many times I see folks that have used my finished project internet forum photos to sell their mowers on ebay, or CL. Plenty of deception out there, intentional, or unintentional, it's all the same to me. Just excuses used when they get caught. Any honest person knows better.

I use stock photos from the maker or maybe even some from reviews when selling items that are in stock shape. This looks like a custom painted table so anyone that uses that to sell their table is just goofy.

Most of the things I sell are laptops I worked on, so I use a stock photo to show the connections and what it looks like, along with some actual photos of the thing I am selling, unless mine is in like new shape, but it's good practice to state that "stock photos used" in the ad.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I use stock photos from the maker or maybe even some from reviews when selling items that are in stock shape. This looks like a custom painted table so anyone that uses that to sell their table is just goofy.

Most of the things I sell are laptops I worked on, so I use a stock photo to show the connections and what it looks like, along with some actual photos of the thing I am selling, unless mine is in like new shape, but it's good practice to state that "stock photos used" in the ad.

I think this is fine....I see some use “not exactly as shown”....I’m good with that.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He obviously does very nice work, but no excuse for not using one or more of these photos of a gold crown restore he’s done, even if it wasn’t the same table he was selling, rather than one that wasn’t even his restore.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
He obviously does very nice work, but no excuse for not using one or more of these photos of a gold crown restore he’s done, even if it wasn’t the same table he was selling, rather than one that wasn’t even his restore.

You're the car painter, I'm the customer:

Me: I want to a VW bug painted with leopard spots

You: Hmmm... is this something like you have in mind?

Me: Yes, that looks great!

You: I could do something like that.

Me: You ripped off my friends Volkswagon paintjob photo!

You: No shit. He posted it on the internet and I wanted to show you what could be done if you wanted.

Me; I'm tellin'!!!

Attachments

• Leopard skin volkswagon.jpg
    Leopard skin volkswagon.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 147

PoolTable911

AdvancedBilliardSolutions
Silver Member

You: No shit. He posted it on the internet and I wanted to show you what could be done if you wanted.

Me; I'm tellin'!!!
That would be funny if that in fact was what went down.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're a Funny Guy

Me; I'm tellin'!!!

You're a funny guy there Mr. Tate. I'm beginning to think you were in on the conversation between these two folks. I mean how else could you be so sure of what happened?

I put this out there for opinions so I guess you're entitled to your's as well. I wasn't making a judgment since I wasn't a party to the conversation but I'm glad you're so sure of yourself.

Hopefully the guy isn't a scammer, but if he's just a tad bit shady, I felt I owed it to other unsuspecting billiards enthusiasts like my acquaintance to put it out there. Who, BTW, still claims in no uncertain terms that the person he spoke to initially claimed it was his work.

Just to be clear I still have not, nor will I, confirm or deny the name of the business. So I'm not trying to settle a score or impugn anyone's reputation. And for record, anyone who likes the table, you're free to use the photo, just don't claim it was your work.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hopefully the guy isn't a scammer, but if he's just a tad bit shady, I felt I owed it to other unsuspecting billiards enthusiasts like my acquaintance to put it out there. Who, BTW, still claims in no uncertain terms that the person he spoke to initially claimed it was his work.

Based on that in my opinion, you've been forthright. So one of the other two is lying. I know in which direction I am leaning.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I relalize I'm in the minority here thinking the pool table guy was innocent. Here is my reasoning:

- The question was "an honest mistake or a scam". There was no choice of "misunderstanding".

- His acquaintance (not friend) was looking for a table just like the OP's, described it to the Pool Table Guy, and the pool table guy (who can run 200 balls) sent him a picture exactly like the guy described.

- The OP obviously was not shown evidence that the Pool Table guy misrepresented the table, other than a picture, which turned out to be the OP's table. Nor did he look into it or contact the pool table guy. If there was a picture, there was really no other communication?

The OP didn't contact the pool table guy (who can run 200 balls) to get to the bottom of this, he went to AZ with limited information to ask if it was a scam or an honest mistake.

- Others revealed the pool table guy and gave his side of the story. They have vouched for him as being an honest pool table dealer, restorer, mechanic.

- The Pool table guy can run 200 balls. What else do you need to know?

-Joe Van said he thinks the guy's honest. Joe and I have had our differences, but I don't need to hear much more than that.

I believe the OP's friend assumed the pool table guy was representing he built the table. Once the story blew up, he stuck with it. The pool table guy has been selling tables for years and doesn't need to bullshit people - he's restored all kinds of them. He knows what he built and doesn't need to lie about them.

- Did I mention the pool table guy can run 200 balls?

Anyway, you be the judge.

Last edited:

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So if you can run 200 balls you’re an honest and upright citizen? Maybe he should run for President or perhaps Pope.

I’m actually inclined to believe it was mistake in judgment at most but not because some guy can run 200 balls. I think we all know some shady people who excel at something or another.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So if you can run 200 balls you’re an honest and upright citizen? Maybe he should run for President or perhaps Pope.

I’m actually inclined to believe it was mistake in judgment at most but not because some guy can run 200 balls. I think we all know some shady people who excel at something or another.

That was just an aside i posted because his name came up. I never said or implied it had anything to do with his veracity or anything else.