Would you pay $75 to have your shaft converted to reduced deflection ?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
It will be drilled at least 5" . Carbon fiber tube will be used for tenon.
New lightweight but durable ferrule will be installed. Carbon fiber pad will be added.
The same length as your ferrule now. Less if you don't mind the shaft being a little shorter .
Premium tips are extra of course .

The shaft will lose at least 1/10th MM in diameter up front.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I thought about making the first 18 inches carbon fiber then the rest wood.

Just a thought when the whole $500 per shaft thing started.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The shaft will lose at least 1/10th MM in diameter up front.
I bet you could make it smaller (even less squirt) with a conical taper for stiffness. That's how Ed Young made mine (10mm) 15 years ago. Hits nice and stiff with the lowest squirt I've ever seen.

You could even skip the ferrule, like Bob Jewett.

pj <- negative squirt?
chgo

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I bet you could make it smaller (even less squirt) with a conical taper for stiffness. That's how Ed Young made mine (10mm) 15 years ago. Hits nice and stiff with the lowest squirt I've ever seen.

pj <- negative squirt?
chgo

Sorry, a very low percentage of the population plays with less than 12MM.
And today, very few people would play with a 3MM taper to the middle of the shaft.
In pool anyway.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a couple of ferrule-less shafts- Black Boar and a Cash, might consider this.......wait

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

pj <- negative squirt?
chgo

Sorry, a very low percentage of the population plays with less than 12MM.
And today, very few people would play with a 3MM taper to the middle of the shaft.
In pool anyway.
Yeah, I guess most wouldn't want that much of a change - you could offer it as an "ultra" mod option...

Very interesting idea for a unique service. Good luck with it!

pj
chgo

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 4 identical hard maple shafts that I rotate on my player all with the same tip. The tapers are exactly the same and are 12.25 mm. People have told me that they are LD configured like that.
I wouldn't know. I like just like them.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely not. I wouldn't let anyone pay me to mess with my shafts. (2 Rick Howard & 3 D-Series McD's)

AlienObserver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, under very specific conditions

- Am I sure that I in fact want less deflection? Do I know exactly how much my shaft deflects and I don't like it? or am I missing balls without knowing why and deflection is an easy thing to accuse?

- Have I tried the same conversion on another shaft by the same maker and liked it?

If yes, and yes, then I would do it.

joelpope

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No Way

I play with cues made by knowledgable cue makers and I want their cues to play the way their cues play. Otherwise, I would just use a decent production cue and call it a day.