Scam or Honest Mistake?

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was approached last week by someone who plays in the same place that I do and asked about my table. He told me that he has been looking for a Gold Crown table and had been in contact with a business in Bergen Co. NJ that sells tables and regularly advertises tables on Ebay. He showed me a picture of a table that was sent to him by the owner of this business. The picture he showed me was of my table.

I told him as much and assured him that I refinished the table myself, the rails were done by Mark Gregory, and the final assembly, leveling and cloth were done by the owner of the room we were playing in.

A couple of days later he approached me again. He spoke with the business owner and asked him if he had refinished the table and he said that he had. When told that he knew who the table belonged to this business owner allegedly said something to the effect of "oh maybe I got that mixed up with another table"

I was not a party to the conversation so I'm hesitant to post the name of the guy.

What say you? Scam or honest mistake? How would you approach this?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I was approached last week by someone who plays in the same place that I do and asked about my table. He told me that he has been looking for a Gold Crown table and had been in contact with a business in Bergen Co. NJ that sells tables and regularly advertises tables on Ebay. He showed me a picture of a table that was sent to him by the owner of this business. The picture he showed me was of my table.

I told him as much and assured him that I refinished the table myself, the rails were done by Mark Gregory, and the final assembly, leveling and cloth were done by the owner of the room we were playing in.

A couple of days later he approached me again. He spoke with the business owner and asked him if he had refinished the table and he said that he had. When told that he knew who the table belonged to this business owner allegedly said something to the effect of "oh maybe I got that mixed up with another table"

I was not a party to the conversation so I'm hesitant to post the name of the guy.

Where did the shop get the photos? Is yours for sale somewhere and he was trying to middleman your table for a profit?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

Where did he get pictures of your table? Did your pool player associate have pictures of your table? It sounds more like confusion to me.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where did he get pictures of your table? Did your pool player associate have pictures of your table? It sounds more like confusion to me.

Sounds like scam to me, but the fact that the other guy was able to speak with the seller is a bit odd.

Perhaps the seller is selling for someone else and also potentially gonna get scrod?

Many online sellers put their name across the item in photo to prevent fakers from fake selling.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Confused here. Just how are you involved? You aren't selling are you? Where's the scam? What am i not seeing here? Looks like whatever is gong down is between those other two. I'd just stay away from all of it.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Active actions around Bergen zip:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200228-163333.jpg
    Screenshot_20200228-163333.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,309

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
I know the guy you're talking about and he is not internet savvy. I do not think he understands poaching pics is bad and can sometimes get you in trouble.

I think it was unintentional.

JV

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the guy you're talking about and he is not internet savvy. I do not think he understands poaching pics is bad and can sometimes get you in trouble.

JV

this could be true, I have sold things online before, and been too lazy to take a picture, or the item was too far away to take a picture, so I occasionally use a pic from the internet that matches...…..

(if it mattered, or if the picture could be deceiving, I would mention that its not the actual item, but not everyone does this)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Just curious how you know for sure it was your table? Was it things in the room that were in the background of the photo that clued you in? Was it a photo you had posted online on this or another website that he could have copied and used in his ad? If you know for sure it is indeed your table, at the very least it is extremely deceitful, and I would most likely not do business with him.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV
Why would he not take photos of and post photos of the actual table he was selling? Most likely because it did not look nearly as good as this one. Is that your definition of unintentional?

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, it's easy to figure out now , he's been told it's not pictures of his table , if they are still up, ........................

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
I once discovered that my old car was for sale on the internet...it was a scammer. Happens often in the collector car world...steal pics, advertise at a bargain price.

I hope nobody sent a "hold" deposit as the ad suggested. I contacted the website, ad was dropped.

When I did sell the car, all I had to do was call a friend. and ask if he'd be interested in being the car's next caretaker.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It could be misleading to potential buyers if the advertiser's work is not at the same level of the table the OP restored. Kinda like posting a pic of a much nicer car for sale online then when it is delivered, it is not the same car that was advertised.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he not take photos of and post photos of the actual table he was selling? Most likely because it did not look nearly as good as this one. Is that your definition of unintentional?

I see this being done quite often with just about anything being sold. One of my hobbies is restoring old Lawnboy mowers and I can't tell you how many times I see folks that have used my finished project internet forum photos to sell their mowers on ebay, or CL. Plenty of deception out there, intentional, or unintentional, it's all the same to me. Just excuses used when they get caught. Any honest person knows better.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
He does all the restoration himself. Strips, paints, etc.. He works out of his garage and basement, chances are he cannot reset it up for pics. I am not making excuses for him, I am just saying that is how he works. So I am not justifying using other peoples pics, just giving you insight.

If its Sloezen Billiards, he is legit. Everyone in North Jersey knows Karl, he is not hard to find.

JV

Last edited:

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He does all the restoration himself. Strips, paints, etc.. He works out of his garage and basement, chances are he cannot reset it up for pics. I am not making excuses for him, I am just saying that is how he works. So I am not justifying using other peoples pics, just giving you insight.

If its Sloezen Billiards, he is legit. Everyone in North Jersey knows Karl, he is not hard to find.

JV

Pretty easy to snap a few pics after you sell/setup the table or he could notate the pic of the table listed isn't one he did but a representation of what to expect.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV

Good to know. Glad slozen hs been defended.

We should remember that not everyone has this e-commerce thing down.

And hold those who sell to us to the standards they portray.