Smoking in Private Clubs

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
This is a question for everyone in a pool league.

What do you do if your a non-smoker and your weekly match is at a Private Club that allows smoking?

The problem I have with this one Smoking Club is that the ceilings are very low (under 6') and the room is very small. With 50 to 100 smokers all smoking makes it unbearable!:frown:

I normally can handle any other Private Club that allows smoking, but for a week after playing one night at the "low ceiling" Club I'm hacking, coughing and feel like I have the flu.

I respect the rights of others to smoke here. I just need some suggestions on how to survive the night and the week following. I swear, the smoke is as thick as pea soup. Any suggestions.......help!!!:confused::confused:

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
trade places and move here, where it is illegal to smoke inside :( (and pool rooms are closing)

maybe bring a portable fan with? or go outside for breaks?

GMAC

Flip it.
Silver Member

What do you do if your a non-smoker and your weekly match is at a Private Club that allows smoking?

The problem I have with this one Smoking Club is that the ceilings are very low (under 6') and the room is very small. With 50 to 100 smokers all smoking makes it unbearable!:frown:

I normally can handle any other Private Club that allows smoking, but for a week after playing one night at the "low ceiling" Club I'm hacking, coughing and feel like I have the flu.

I respect the rights of others to smoke here. I just need some suggestions on how to survive the night and the week following. I swear, the smoke is as thick as pea soup. Any suggestions.......help!!!:confused::confused:

I would have to find a different place to play. How could you play in a place with ceilings lower than 6 feet. Is this place located on the set of little people big world.

There has to be a better place to play.

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
I would have to find a different place to play. How could you play in a place with ceilings lower than 6 feet. Is this place located on the set of little people big world.

There has to be a better place to play.
I'm on an APA League Team and we are scheduled to play at this Private Club twice during a 16 week session.

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
Ceilings under 6 feet? Wow. I'm 5'10" and I'd be afraid of hitting my head.

Not to mention, jacking up a cue for any reason.

/just sayin....

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Tell them to open the door, and prop it open...

That said, as a 6 foot 1 inch (smoker) man, I might also have trouble playing there, because if I inadvertently jump up off my shot, I might seriously hurt myself...:D

ronhudson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just hope this guy doesn't show up.

Attachments

• smoker.jpg
    smoker.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 259

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Wear one of those surgical/swine flu masks.....should help.....maybe???

That, or you can just let your team know that you plan to sit out those two weeks....if you feel it's really a big deal, you might just donate those matches and complain to your LO about playing conditions....you have options...

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
Tell them to open the door, and prop it open...

That said, as a 6 foot 1 inch (smoker) man, I might also have trouble playing there, because if I inadvertently jump up off my shot, I might seriously hurt myself...:D
Mentioned they should open a door or window. Their reply, "Last time we did that, we were fined $500!"....

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
Wear one of those surgical/swine flu masks.....should help.....maybe???

That, or you can just let your team know that you plan to sit out those two weeks....if you feel it's really a big deal, you might just donate those matches and complain to your LO about playing conditions....you have options...
Thanks...I just might donate them. I'm the Captain of the team and it's hard for me to sit out two weeks.

KillerCane

Giggidy
Silver Member
6' huh? i wouldnt even be able to get in that place. just make sure you have enough players and sit out.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a) don't go to that club

b) eat plenty (and I mean plenty) of refried beans at least 4 hours before your play time.

c) carry 15 fire extinguishers with you and use then at will

d) bring chewing tobacco and start spitting on the floor

e) better yet, just don't go.

F) resign and let them know why.

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This USED to be the #1 problem with all of the places I would shoot at, until NJ passed the law banning smoking in bars.

It is funny to see what you are saying at our local club, where you can smoke like a chimney and buy canned beers for a 1.00 donation (tipping is not allowed).

My advise? If it's only two weeks out of a session, suck it up Nancy and show up and shoot, like everyone else. Unless you have a medical conditoin or some junk. I used to do it EVERY leage night for years, twice a week for a while, smoke as thick you could cut it with a knife, before the no smoking ban went into effect.

Not much you can do I'm afraid, and no, I don't miss the smoke.

Last edited:

OneArmed

the agony of billiards...
Silver Member
Damn, I didn't even notice that the ceilings were under 6 foot! I'm 6' 3". I would never play in a place like that, smoke or not.

Big Perm

1pkt 14.1 8 Banks 9 10
Silver Member
Damn, I didn't even notice that the ceilings were under 6 foot! I'm 6' 3". I would never play in a place like that, smoke or not.

Methinks he either meant 7 or 8 foot ceilings....either are rediculously low for a bar....especially one that allows smoking....

Except for that movie with John Malcovich where they have the 7 1/2 floor, where the ceiling is about 5 feet, I have yet to see one in a real building under 7 feet.....

DunnM1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have asthma and other breathing problems and was in the military for several years. What I did was call the league operator and explained the situation to them. And ask if they would move those nights to our home establishment. They will refuse at first and then they will start to understand that you will then call the 1 800 number every day until that establishment follows the letter of the law or the matches are moved. The league operator will move the matches and the establishment will question why and the league operator will explain. Then the establishment will have a few options. And the pool halls losing money has nothing to do with the smoking ban. It's the economy. What I have seen is that some establishment are doing better because they are getting entire families to visit.

Cue-Z

Billiard FingerSlides®
Silver Member
Thank You to Everyone that Posted a Reply Here!! I Appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I knew that this was the Right Place to ask this question!!!

Thanks Again!!!!