Pool World Loses The Miz

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 'MIZ' will be missed

So sorry to hear the news of Steve's passing. This is truly a great loss.

I would like to share my one and only meeting/conversation with Steve that happened either 1971, 72 or 73.

At that time, Ray Abrams owned the Cushion & Cue in Oak Park, MI (where I grew up) and one in Livonia, MI, both in the Detroit area. Ray held a pro straight pool tournament once a year in Livonia where all the greats of that time showed up: Irving Crane; Luther Lasiter; Mike Segal; Lou Butera; Rempe; Gene Balukas and many more including the 'Miz'. I was so excited at age 17/18 that I did anything I could to keep score for these great players so I could see them up close and maybe talk to them. I was Star-Struck!

I once had the opportunity to talk to Steve and I asked him about his high-run. He told me what it was at the time but then said, "I don't really care about high runs, just give me those 'Steady-Eddie' 80s". I thought about what he said for a long time and formulated that Steve was really talking about consistent play and trying to control the game at all times. Why go for a hard shot just to try to continue a run when a great safety will get you back to the table, thus, controlling the game even when not at the table. Anyway, that was my interpretation and it changed how I played pool & 3-cushion forever. In 3-cushion, just give me those steady-eddie 4, 5 & 6s and play as safe as I can. Although I don't really play 14.1, I play 9-ball the same way...if I don't have a high percentage shot and have a chance at a good safety, I take the safety & get back to the table (hopefully).

I'm not even sure that's what Steve meant by what he said, but that was my interpretation and it molded my play to that mind set ever since. I never spoke with him again. Thank you Steve.

Dave

Last edited:

jkjerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our deepest condolences to the Mizerak family.

We've only been able to see The Miz in action a few times at the U.S. Open. Each time, he was a great competitor and showman (especially before his matches) as well as a great asset to the game.

He was also quite the educator (as mentioned by so many of you earlier). His books got me started playing seriously.

We will all miss you.

Cindi and Jerry