Force Follow vs Stun Follow

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I call it stun follow.

I would too... as I shoot the STUN SHOT with the idea that the cue ball is a knuckle-ball for a period of time, then begins a roll thru the shot to stop at the prescribed distance past the impact of the shot.

Great shot, necessary shot in your bag of tricks

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stun follow is hit slightly below center (not above). The cue ball has reverse on it until just before object ball contact. A good way to practice this shot is by using a stripe ball for the cue ball. Watch for when the reverse English turns to forward roll.

agreed. Except it depends how far you want the cue ball to move forward.
Slightly below center-center-slightly above center on the same shot,same speed will move the cue ball a little farther along.This is a must know shot for straight pool given the sometimes tight cue ball control needed.
Ask Cuebuddy.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stun Run-Through

I've only ever heard it referred to as a stun run through.

I totally agree with this description.

Lets all start practicing it & load up YouTube with some Stun Run-Throughs

We can all show our prowess...

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The stun run-through is what Ronnie O'Sullivan calls 'the professional shot'. In the context of snooker, a lot of the shots are played in this manner, and therefore I consider snooker players to be proficient in this kind of shot, just as pool players are in applying sidespin.

Here's a clip where he discusses how to execute it: https://youtu.be/LHeeJy_SJFw?t=12m22s

John Higgins is one of the best players when it comes to executing the stun run-through: https://youtu.be/PI72mHeXiUo

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always call it a "creeper" cuz my opponents say "jeepers creepers, he got perfect".:sorry:

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I, myself prefer to use the term "punch" or "punching the cue ball".
The mighty Earl Strickland is the very best I've seen with these type of shots.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stun follow is hit slightly below center (not above). The cue ball has reverse on it until just before object ball contact. A good way to practice this shot is by using a stripe ball for the cue ball. Watch for when the reverse English turns to forward roll.

That is a different shot.

As a youngster we called it the 'slide shot' because the ball seems to be sliding instead of rolling.

Dale

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is the shot Bert Kinister calls "ball replacement', where the cue ball doesnt quite stop but it rolls up to occupy the spot that the object ball had occupied. This is a tough shot, if your shot is close to this Im sure it is just a variation of the "ball replacement" shot.

Actually, Kinister's shot is just one specific instance of stun run through.

Dale

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a different shot.

As a youngster we called it the 'slide shot' because the ball seems to be sliding instead of rolling.

Dale

I call that a drag-draw shot. The backspin drops off before contact. It's good to use instead of a slow roll where anything can go wrong.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
I'd call that stun follow. To me force follow is more when enough top spin and speed are applied that upon collision the CB spins in place momentarily before proceeding forward.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Pop and Float, otherwise known as Stun Run Through or whatever you prefer.
It's not as difficult as you think when practiced.
Work the cue ball just below center, center, and just above center.
Use different speeds and distance. Increments of 4 work best for this shot.
Log it into your memory bank and swing arm.
Level cue is your friend.

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stun follow or stun run through is what I have always called it. As far as what spin to use, it really depends on the speed of the shot and the distance to the object ball. You are essentially just taking a little off of a stop shot, so that could be anything from slightly above center to maximum draw. Some call the draw version of the shot a "drag draw", but to me it's all the same shot - they all stun and release, as they are all just one tick up from a stop shot.

Force follow to me is a medium to high speed shot where the cueball stuns momentarily, then accelerates rapidly due to top spin. Useful for sticking whitey to a rail after a bank or hai karate shot, for following around multiple rails, or bending around an obstruction on a cut shot.

Aaron

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
I think people are getting confused because there's 2 different shots that get the same result.

1. You hit near center, but not firm, the cue ball slides a bit and then friction takes over
and it starts to roll. The cue ball rolls forward maybe a ball's width after contact.
This is just a soft rolling shot with no special name that I'm aware of.

2. You pop the cue ball firmly, very close to center ball, but hitting 1 or 2 mm higher
than dead center. It looks just like a stop shot, but then the cue ball does a little turn
afterwards. That's a stun through or stun run-through.

Stun follow is when you want something that's more or less follow, but you want the cue ball
to glance sideways a bit along the tangent line, before it rolls forward.
This is useful for example when you're too straight on a ball, but still have a tiny bit of angle.
This is achieved by hitting a little closer to center on the cue ball, which makes less violent
forward spin even when you hit the ball firmly.

kgW5OAT.jpg

I guess the stun-through could also be called stun follow, but stun-through is more exact
because it describes that "ball-replacement shot" we all love/hate.

Force follow is a generic term for when you're hitting with full topspin (not close to center
like the previous shot) and also hard enough that the cue ball is spinning faster
than it would from natural forward roll. Like a tire peeling out on asphalt.

Stun-throughs are a tough shot to master, I'm still scared every time I try it. Hitting exact
center ball is tough unless you've trained your bridge hand to go to that center-ball height
automatically. There's a great drill for it though:

Line up all 15 balls in a row between the side pockets.
Take the cue ball anywhere you want behind the line (you can move it on every shot).
Set up a straight in shot on each of these balls, and try to stun through them
1 ball width. If you miss, reset the missed ball and try again until you get all 15.
Then set them up again, and try to stun forward 2 ball widths.

For me, the trick is to focus on the speed. Get the bridge a tiny bit higher than center,
and imagine the speed you'll need to get that stun through.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the phrase "stun run through" but I call that "force follow". Stun in stun and follow is follow, if the cue ball is hit above center then the intent or reaction is "forward roll" but with the term "force follow" you are judging the speed in which the ball is hit with a center ball hit to all for follow to occur after contact thus "forcing follow" where follow should not of existed based on the spot the CB was hit.

when hit with a stun gun or stun ray for that matter one essentially stops in motion if an individual was in motion when stunned then a slight amount of follow/forward motion will occur thus the motion was "forced" due to circumstances as I see it in my head.

Last edited:

cardit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was taught that 'stun through' was a half tip above center hit, and that the CB should come to rest in the same location as the OB ball was in. Force follow, 1 tip above center; follow, 1 1/2 tips above center. Depending on distance between CB and OB, of course. YMMV.

Mike
cardit

LAMas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does the cue tip and or flexibility of the shaft make it easier to hit this shot?

Be well

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you call this shot:

The shot alignment is straight in. You shoot the shot so that the cue ball's stun is just starting to wear off when it makes contact with the object ball. The cue ball rolls forward a few inches after contact and stops.

Is that called a force follow shot or a stun follow shot?

Does anyone else struggle with these shots? It's very difficult for me to control the amount of roll after contact.
Practice. Distance increases the difficulty and being on or close to the rail or over a ball makes it difficult but if you practice it will become easier.

It sounds like you are a beginner. Force follow is another nice shot to learn.