My New Case.....that I made......

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks!

I am just now getting back to playing with case making.

The sad thing is I paid a bunch for a big used commercial sewing machine. The wife and I were supposed to share it. Honestly, she already has substantially more invested in her embroidery and sewing machines than I have in my Harleys. LOL!

Anyway, it came with a ton of supplies. The first day we had it set up my wife broke it. I had a buddy who knows a lot about them check it out. He said he thinks she bent the main shaft. He knows about them from military service. He sewed sails in the US Navy, so he knows a thing or two about them, but is not in a position to service it. I have been after my wife for two years to get it fixed, since she is the one who broke it. And it sits there...broken... Yeah...I am stubborn. I won't do anything about it because she broke it.

Anyway, I am getting back to this and have a couple projects. They will move slow. i work a lot of hours. Not much spare time. But I am in no hurry.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMG_0281_crop.jpg

Pretty nic Doc :thumbup:

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Chopdoc,
This thread was a very good read, I enjoyed it.
Your case skills are really good. Impressive!
Because you like only black leather, if you set up a casemaking business you will
be like Henry Ford, when he said you can have a car any color you want,
as long as it's black!

Will Prout

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chopdoc,
This thread was a very good read, I enjoyed it.
Your case skills are really good. Impressive!
Because you like only black leather, if you set up a casemaking business you will
be like Henry Ford, when he said you can have a car any color you want,
as long as it's black!

Will Prout

LOL!

Thanks.

I realize my tastes are limited. If I made some to sell I might need to expand my thinking...or be like Henry Ford as you say.

I wish I had time.

I keep getting the urge and making false starts. The number one problem is time.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wanna to get in on the ground floor Doc ...but as a potential investor, I'll need to know what the CEO is doing to address these productivity issues...

Seriously though, nice job on the case :thumbup:

Happy New Year!

Count me in on the IPO, but I am going to have to be in on the whole drinking Bacardi thing. :thumbup: Great work Doc!
j2

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matches the HD, strap it on and hit the room! Did you recover an old tube case or did you buy a tube? I want a Justus style tube, where can you get them?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matches the HD, strap it on and hit the room! Did you recover an old tube case or did you buy a tube? I want a Justus style tube, where can you get them?

It's a recovered case.

Finding proper oval tubes is a challenge. Case makers have their sources. You can search high and low and not find them.

I have a few old cases that I saved the tubes from with plans to rebuild. I also have a bunch of leather. Just no time.

I really dig saddle stitching. Truly superior. But the machine stitch was fun. My wife and I bought a big walking foot commercial machine that can sew very heavy leather. But it's just sitting now...for 5 years.

Realize this thread was started in 2012. :(

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
It's a recovered case.

Finding proper oval tubes is a challenge. Case makers have their sources. You can search high and low and not find them.

I have a few old cases that I saved the tubes from with plans to rebuild. I also have a bunch of leather. Just no time.

I really dig saddle stitching. Truly superior. But the machine stitch was fun. My wife and I bought a big walking foot commercial machine that can sew very heavy leather. But it's just sitting now...for 5 years.

Realize this thread was started in 2012. :(

.[/QUOTE

Cuemaker timeline.....:thumbup:
Will Prout]

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuemaker timeline.....:thumbup:
Will Prout]

Well, hell, I should have taken a few orders. :grin-square: What's 5 years?

I was actually thinking of saddle stitching some envelope style cases with no tubes and a handle +/- a storage pouch. Felt lined. I would size them for Fellini/Engles/Thomas/GTF type cases to slip inside.

The idea is for collectors with fine cues stored in such cases to slide the case and cue in the outer envelope to take it to the pool hall, tournament, etc. That way you don't risk marking up your good case, you don't have to transfer your cue to another case to carry it, you have a handle, and you have a storage pouch for your accessories.

Of course, I was thinking of myself, but I thought others might be interested in such a thing.

Maybe I could work on such a thing in the evening? I work a lot of hours, usually around 70+, then I have volunteer obligations.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well, hell, I should have taken a few orders. :grin-square: What's 5 years?

I was actually thinking of saddle stitching some envelope style cases with no tubes and a handle +/- a storage pouch. Felt lined. I would size them for Fellini/Engles/Thomas/GTF type cases to slip inside.

The idea is for collectors with fine cues stored in such cases to slide the case and cue in the outer envelope to take it to the pool hall, tournament, etc. That way you don't risk marking up your good case, you don't have to transfer your cue to another case to carry it, you have a handle, and you have a storage pouch for your accessories.

Of course, I was thinking of myself, but I thought others might be interested in such a thing.

Maybe I could work on such a thing in the evening? I work a lot of hours, usually around 70+, then I have volunteer obligations.

Or if you’re strapping it on the bike, hate to get bungee marks on the good case.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or if you’re strapping it on the bike, hate to get bungee marks on the good case.

LOL!

I tried that a few moths ago.

Took a 1x2 cheap vinyl case...sort of like a Whitten....the bungee cords pretty much screwed up the exterior.

The cue was fine. But what bothered me was the vibration. That this was seriously shaking. I mean...we are talking a Harley here...

I really would worry about damaging an A joint or something. So to carry on a bike I am looking for a better way.

Honestly I think a JB case with his best ballistic nylon exterior and Ultrapad interior is the only way to put a cue on a Harley as far as what's available now.

My Road King has the best of everything, Velvaride motor mounts, Progressive suspension, rubber mounted everything. But it is still a Harley and still vibrates a cue. Of course, the motor is a bit hot with a lumpy cam and hot ignition, so it isn't stock.

My chopper? Forget it. It will shake your teeth loose, and it isn't even a hardtail. It's a Softail but lowered so much it has about a half inch of suspension travel in back and a solid mount motor. I will not carry a cue on that bike.

And I ride my bike like it's on fire and I am trying to put it out...and I won't ride it any other way unless I have a kid on the back. :D

I need a pool table at home. :eek:

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been carrying a cue on a bike for 40 plus years and have worried about the vibration, but haven't had any problems.
You're right about the JB case, I have a rugged that I now use and it's even holding up to the bungee cords pretty well!

I do have a beat up Fellini that I throw in the hack.

GoodStick

Registered
OK, so go easy on me....I know it looks like a schoolboy made it for a 5th grade project.

I have made a couple or three cases before but never a tube case......

All I got to say is that I am positively giddy like a schoolgirl...I am actually giggling when I look at this thing......

I sewed leather on a sewing machine and I liked it!

First time I ever did that. Heck, I don't think I actually ran a sewing machine at all in 25 years.

I just told myself I was gonna do it as a New Year's Eve thing and I did it.

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0579.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG

I don't like tooled leather. Great art, but my dad always said it was damaged leather. I guess he rubbed off on me. I like black leather. Period. I like tube cases. Black leather tube case = serious and/or elegant to me. This one ain't exactly elegant, but I dig it 'cause I made it. :thumbup:

It actually isn't quite done. I have one more tear down to put the tubes inside and trim a couple little things to smooth it out here and there. I may be doing a shoulder strap as well. It's a real mother getting the leather on and off the oval tube...it's TIGHT! I only took it off twice so far, third time will be it. The wife suggested baby powder after the first time. She's smart like that. :embarrassed2:

I just had to post it. :D

ChopDoc - That is an awesome case ! It looks really nice and the big plus--
You made it custom!

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. And that was a big part of it. It was a New Year thing. :)

I made a few cases in the past but the only one I still have from back then is this one:

IMG_0281_crop.jpg

IMG_0278.JPG

I made that one back in 90/91 and am so happy I still have it. It was converted from an endoscope case, so not such a difficult thing, but it's mine and I made it how I wanted. :)

Can you detail the interior. Have any progress pictures? Nice job with the case.

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you detail the interior. Have any progress pictures? Nice job with the case.

Thanks.

I put it together back around 90/91, so no progress pics.

The interior was constructed to hold my Joss and two shafts, plus my McDermott (used as a break cue) and one shaft, then also my Joss jump handle.

It was constructed with a light plywood for the dividers. The lining was purchased at Joann Fabric, and so was the foam I used for padding. It was the only fabric store I knew so that's where I bought it.

Very simple really. The case itself was from an endoscope.

This is the same case but in blue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SUR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392033064674?rmvSB=true&autorefresh=true

Over priced IMHO. I got mine for nothing, of course.:D If you watch for them you can occasionally find one cheap, and they tend to be well made.

Often endoscope cases can be found that make great gun cases etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=end...0oMKHXkJDNAQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....1.64.img..0.1.137...0i8i7i30k1.0.hvu102mDONc

Last edited:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks.

I put it together back around 90/91, so no progress pics.

The interior was constructed to hold my Joss and two shafts, plus my McDermott (used as a break cue) and one shaft, then also my Joss jump handle.

It was constructed with a light plywood for the dividers. The lining was purchased at Joann Fabric, and so was the foam I used for padding. It was the only fabric store I knew so that's where I bought it.

Very simple really. The case itself was from an endoscope.

This is the same case but in blue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-SUR...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and another:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392033064674?rmvSB=true&autorefresh=true

Over priced IMHO. I got mine for nothing, of course.:D If you watch for them you can occasionally find one cheap, and they tend to be well made.

Often endoscope cases can be found that make great gun cases etc.

https://www.google.com/search?q=end...0oMKHXkJDNAQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662#imgrc=_

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1....1.64.img..0.1.137...0i8i7i30k1.0.hvu102mDONc

Thanks for the reply. I admire your creativity. I like the custom fabrication and vision of using the case.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply. I admire your creativity. I like the custom fabrication and vision of using the case.

Thanks so much.

What I really want to do is make some cases from scratch.

I want to do some "Fellini style", and I have a design I have come up with from scratch that incorporates some features I have not seen in cue cases..

It's just hard to make time to do it, so I just dabble occasionally with a project.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
That's pretty good repurposing
What would you do with an old 20x20 suitcase type dealer case with the dark red velvet lined dividers coming out.
Looks like they were just toe nailed in when it was made
Actually too heavy to carry even without cues in it.

Also I have (2) Halliburton's in storage, both are the same size expect one is a 3x5, and the other is a 4x8.
The glue holding the foam in on the 3x5 has released and the Velcro straps that hold the cues in are messed up.
When I get my 3-Rambow's back I'll have to use one because they are the only cases I have long enough for the 34" & 32" shafts on one.

Can I buy the foam?
How hard is it to cut-out?
What cutting tools work?
I've never done anything like that and I wouldn't want to mess it up.
I like what you did with the endoscope case, and the foam looks similar

Thanks
Ted