Rear extension for cue with 3/8x16 tapped butt?

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a cue that is tapped for 3/8x16 weight bolts. I know this is a common design. Is there any rear extensions out there readily available that work with this design? I know I can have one made but just looking at any other options that may be out there. Thanks in advance.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The old style original Cuetec extension used a 3/8x16 pin that would screw in the weight bolt hole on most cues. Now they make a different extension with a different pin, but the old one was black plastic and sold for around $20. The screw was as long as a joint screw so it took a while to put on or take off.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had some made 3/8-16 outside threads, M6 inside threads, so it works for the Mezz extensions.
I`m thinking about having some made in 1/2-13 too.
Prather cue sells a really well made quick connect system, not sure if it`s 3/8-16 or 1/2-13 though...

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were some butt end extension systems that fitted the extension into the rubber bumper via a middle thread in the rubber bumper that matched the extension screw ( both items are included in their extension package). I think one might have been Mcdermott cues. I have been able to adapt that bumper/extension system to many cues just by either slightly grinding down the rubber edges or building up the rubber edges so that the bumper fit very securely into the butt end of any cue; and then the extension can be screwed onto the bumper easily when needed.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might can do it yourself

If you have a small workshop and are fairly good with hand tools, you can make one yourself, to your own lengths, and have some fun doing it too.
I have made quite a few.
Just get a piece of wood dowel, the diameter of which you like, and saw it off to the length that suits you. An old wooden broomstick handle works good and they're always to be found in a dumpster behind buildings in a strip mall.
Drill a STRAIGHT 3/8 hole (that is the tricky part) into one end and insert a 3/8 machine bolt, maybe 4-5 inches long, from the hardware store into that hole about 3 inches. (make sure the bolt screws nicely into the end of your stick before going through all this other stuff) Secure it in there with JB Weld.
After it has dried thoroughly (give it 24 hours), clamp it in a vise, take a hacksaw and saw off the bolt (eliminating the head) to the proper length to screw into your cue.
Now here comes another slightly tricky part. Use a 3/8 die to rethread the bolt somewhat since it will be a little rough due to the sawing. Tap and Die sets are pretty cheap at Walmart. Screw it into the cue to check for snug fitting length...you may have to saw off some more of it, no big deal.
Next, sand it smooth, give it 2-3 coats of paint, using steel wool to lightly sand it after each coat has dried.Finally give it 2-3 coats of clear polyurethane from a spray can. Slide a rubber chair leg tip on the end.
You're in business.
(after you've made a few of these, it's duck soup from then on. Easy to pick up $25 a piece for them at the local pool rooms... "custom made for your cue". If you do that you'll also need a thread gauge to know which thread size screw to get. Easiest way is to have a few various size bolts laying around to see which one fits the various cues, then go from there).
Honestly, it isn't rocket science. If I can pull this off anyone can.
Enjoy. It's just an idea, not for everyone.

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After it has dried thoroughly (give it 24 hours), clamp it in a vise, take a hacksaw and saw off the bolt (eliminating the head) to the proper length to screw into your cue.
Now here comes another slightly tricky part. Use a 3/8 die to rethread the bolt somewhat since it will be a little rough due to the sawing. Tap and Die sets are pretty cheap at Walmart. Screw it into the cue to check for snug fitting length...you may have to saw off some more of it, no big deal.

Nice work 500. I've found it easier to pop the die on before cutting the bolt to length. Simply removing the die normally cleans the threads up pretty good.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have a small workshop and are fairly good with hand tools, you can make one yourself, to your own lengths, and have some fun doing it too.
I have made quite a few.
Just get a piece of wood dowel, the diameter of which you like, and saw it off to the length that suits you. An old wooden broomstick handle works good and they're always to be found in a dumpster behind buildings in a strip mall.
Drill a STRAIGHT 3/8 hole (that is the tricky part) into one end and insert a 3/8 machine bolt, maybe 4-5 inches long, from the hardware store into that hole about 3 inches. (make sure the bolt screws nicely into the end of your stick before going through all this other stuff) Secure it in there with JB Weld.
Next, sand it smooth, give it 2-3 coats of paint, using steel wool to lightly sand it after each coat has dried.Finally give it 2-3 coats of clear polyurethane from a spray can. Slide a rubber chair leg tip on the end.
You're in business.
(after you've made a few of these, it's duck soup from then on. Easy to pick up $25 a piece for them at the local pool rooms... "custom made for your cue". If you do that you'll also need a thread gauge to know which thread size screw to get. Easiest way is to have a few various size bolts laying around to see which one fits the various cues, then go from there).
Honestly, it isn't rocket science. If I can pull this off anyone can.

If you're gonna use this method, here's a little tip:
Before you screw in and glue the bolt into your extension, thread on a nut to just below the bolt head.
After you saw the bolt head off, unthread the nut. this goes some way to restoring the roughed threads caused by sawing, thus do away with the need to buy a die.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bump......

Are you looking for one?

The Tom Migliore system has a direct screw in bumper for 3/8-16. The extension end is a nice chamfer fit and can be installed into a mini butt by any competent cue man. Excellent system.

The Tiger extension is a direct screw in, 3/8-16, and the aluminum extensions come in several sizes including 2” up to 8” or so. Very convenient if you want something already made, off the shelf.

I believe both these come in the larger thread as well.

Freddie <~~~ extension collector

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my extensions for my wife's and my Schons this morning. Really quality stuff, and carbon fiber I think. I'll past some more on them later tonight.

Attachments

• 20220118_122052.jpg
    20220118_122052.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 108

chuckpilegis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The jacoby extensions use a 3/8x16 thread on a bumper. l bought 4 for some of my cues and use it with a jacoby 8 inch